Vertigo symptoms?

Posted , 40 users are following.

My GP recommended me this site because she diagnosed me with vertigo, so I wanted to see if other people have these symptoms as well.

It started for me at the beginning of March. It was just snap bang dizziness in front of the computer screen. Then it spread out to other things, and now that I'm taking meds (Prochlorperazine), the dizziness in my head is more or less gone.

However.

My body weirdly feels dizzy when my head doesn't? E.g. I'll move my hands and they move correctly, but I think they're going further than they really are or not far enough, and my arms just feel really awkward even though they move to my commands. I always (ALWAYS) have a falling feeling, like I'm about to sink or drop, but I don't. It got really bad once at the GP's, my back felt like it would snap forwards and I would go down, but I didn't. I still feel like I'm swerving when I walk, but I know loss of balance is pretty standard for vertigo. I've never had dizziness (it's a floaty, boat swaying dizziness) until now, and am really distressed by it because it's impeding on my work.

I don't drink alcohol/ coffee or smoke, but I do drink a lot of tea. I cut down my tea now, and am just drinking water (a bit boring).

4 likes, 88 replies

88 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes i recognise that 'shaking thing' - to me it was more of an internal vibration - have had it myself. Do you get it more when you are tired - i used to get it when went to bed, and drifting off. I put it down to my adrenals |(and possibly thyroid ) = long story Started taking supps to strengthen both of these and don't get it anymore. |You might want to ask your gp for a thyroid blood test some time. It's a pretty 'broad' test, and nine times out of ten they'll tell your results are 'normal'. Another good site to check (when you have time!) is Thyroid UK - it's a good forum, easy to use and covers more than thyroid stuff - easy to sign up to and they have good/nice admin people - you can got lots of info from them too.
    • Posted

My dr thought my thyroid was too active but it turned out it was under.  I don't think it has anything to do with my thyroid but you never really know.  smile

• Posted

Hi fashions, I had vertigo and like you were prescribed Prochlorperazine, they helped me no end,! How long are you on them for? I were on them for just over a month and my GP weaned me off them slowly, I'm now into week 5 without them, I still have the odd day when I feel as if I'm on a boat, fatigue makes my symptoms worse but I'm feeling a whole lot better. I've completely cut out caffeine, chocolate and alcohol from my diet. The "shakes" maybe part of the meds it will pass. How long have you been taking them? Keep mobile and use your head movement as normal it does help recovery. Good luck
  • Posted

The shaking thing happens a bit randomly, but I have noticed that I get it when I'm tired like what you have. When I'm drifting off, I feel really worn and I just feel a bit floppy in general, but maybe that's the tiredness talking. As for a blood test, I already had 2, and they came back clear, so I guess I don't have anything hanging around causing it? Vertigo is symptom not a disease, and my GP said it's stress. I wasn't stressed until I told I was, so it's making me even more stressed and turning me into a hypochondriac. Every little twitch that my body makes is making me really aware and stressed about it.

And yes! the Prochlorperazine has been working as well, but not entirely. I've been on and off it for about 3 weeks now. Thank you both for the help!

• Posted

yes the shaky/vibration thing was random with me too. mainly when really end of day and tired. Which blood tests did you have? GP is right saying it's a symptom, but they (well mine at least) don't seem to know what of! (nor consultants). As you say you weren't stressed until they told you, so i'd ignore all that. We are all stressed in this day and age for some reason or the other, but if you have already got a physical problem going on, it stands to reason getting stressed will exacerbate it eh? (ie the stress isn't causing the initial problem, but is a result of having the problem - if that makes sense), but try telling them that!!

p.s. being informed about your body and what's going on with it when it's not working normally is not hypochondria ,so don't stress on that either!

• Posted

Hello fashions glad you have family support,your dear ole dad to,it helps to have someone who understand the actual feeling of this,that said I wouldn't wish anyone with it.A manoeuvre to try as follows stand then fix your eyes on something straight ahead of you,take 10 steps forward slowly and slightly move your head left to right all the time looking at what you focused on at the start.then stop Wait then repeat the process again walking backwards still focusing straight ahead. I do it in my kitchen lot of room and I focus on something in garden through the window. Give that a go,few times a day get your dad to do it to .It is trial and effort but it only takes one thing maybe that will be of help.I will be asking my female GP about Prochlorperazine not heard mention of that until this forum,it is good to talk about these health issues,let us know how you go on at uni too Good Luck .xx
  • Posted

My blood test was all inclusive; basically a whole range of things. I went to A&E recently because it got so bad that I thought I would faint, had a blood test there as well, and they said I was clear. They took 3 syringes of blood so I'm assuming they tested for more things than my GP did. My GP says its the misbalance of my inner ear water - I think that's what my vertigo is a symptom of. I'm just really afraid of falling or tripping as a result, and also I'm afraid of dropping things and not moving properly, but I haven't actually had those problems, just the fear of it. It's not a pleasant feeling at all. ):

I will try your advice about looking at a fixed point Marlene; so far when I don't feel well I just lie down, so maybe walking will be better for me instead. Thank you everyone for such great support! I've learnt so much more about my condition from this forum, I'm glad that my GP recommended me here! xxx

• Posted

You really need to ask which blood tests they did and a copy of the results- either ask your GP for a copy or the hospital - they have to by law. Just telling you they are all clear isn't terribly helpful. I doubt very much they did thyroid, but i could be wrong. Also your gp's explanation of inner ear is very general - does he mean you have BPPV, Menieres. |Next time you see him/her, just casually ask 'so have i got BPPV, Menieres???
  • Posted

Late reply, sorry! Thanks for that; I'll ask my GP for the blood test results (and maybe call up the hospital that took 3 tubes of my blood) and also ask for a Thyroid blood test. Thanks for the advice; I'll have to ask clearer next time!
  • Posted

Hello sweetie, I have got this too, i dont mean to scare you but ive had it for nearly 6 months now. Its horrible, ive been plenty of doctors and to a+e all have said it isnt dangerous? but it is mentally because im going crazy here. ALLOT better than what it was but scares me how it is still here. Basically i am from the uk and flown to australia where i loved had a brill 3 weeks then went on a boat trip was fine and that afternoon fine, whilst in the water i felt a sharp frezzing cold pain in the head swimming with dolphins so i got out and was fine afterwards, got a shower and that and sat having my tea. I got a nasty episode of vertigo, like a boat feeling but felt as though there was no floor, followed by vomiting and sweating, was in bed for 2 weeks with very poor balance, i flew home and it continued going from a 10 in severty to a 6, then but the time i got to see the ENT was a 4 with bad headaches, fullness in one ear and still this rocking boat sensation. I had googled mal de debarkment and become obsessd with it, but why do i had sharp pains in my ears, fullness, and water leakage? ENT said nothing serious and they wont do MRI of inner ear and will see me in 3 months. So now 3 months later im going to see Neurology because i am 22 with 2 jobs and ambition an this is changed allot including my personality. My doctor is very unhappy that the PHYSIO?? at ENT said i have mal de barkment (problem in brain) with no real test..as she thinks its to do with inner ear fluids or the euchasian tube. as when i get a little cold or a sore throat symptoms get worse if it was something inside the brain such as mdds why are my ears pouring and popping and why am i sensitive to sound. Right now i am at and annoying 2 on the severty scale but it wont go like its done perminent damage to a nerve? i have scanned these pages for months looking for a cure. Im trying to be positive and as busy as possible but like u say when i sit down or im in on my own i get scared or it seems to get worse when i think about it or the fact that the futures unknown for me, i know i said its gettting better and better but im terrifed that if i have alcohol or something it may come bak or maybe from nowhere and leave me like this for months again. only went back to work 2 weeks ago i wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. Maybe the boat thing was a coincerdence and it was the water what caused this? i doubt my brain adapted to the motion of the boat ive always loved rollercoasters  and watever. atleast 3 months ago when i lay in bed i felt as tho i was in a pool on a lilo, but that only happens now when im very tired or overconcentrating. They say a spoonful of Manuka Honey in green tea helps this is what i swear by Manuka Honey can repair delicate tissue such as inner ear. Ive been living off this so maybe this will help and il keep you updated and definatley be back wen it has gone, all ive been lookin for is people to come on here and say it has GONE to give the people suffering some positivity because it really does seem theres no end when u wake up n see walls move and your like RARR! xx ps not too much manuka honey coz too much sugar agitates rocking for me xxx
    • Posted

Hello Sophia, I can relate to everything you have said, except i didn't do a boat trip.  \i also had a look at Mal de Barquement too as i don't get spinning, more swaying.  Coming up for 4 years!! Done the desensitising exercise thing at physio (two separate times!) - nothing!!  All drugs make it worse or don't work.  Have nyou checked out Veda on line website - also they have a facebook page (US).

~Apart from the usual, stimulants, coffee, alcholol, too much sugar etc., do you get sinusitis or congestion problems?  If so check out Coconut |Oil - cold pressed, virgin, if you can (it's in good health shops, Amazon).  Friend of mine has just told me about it, cleared hers in no time and it has lots of other benefits. 

I think it is so bad that they won't do an MRI of your inner ear.  I had a full head |MRI at the start of this and they said 'normal', but have read elsewhere that f you have a tiny Fistula anywhere, it doesn't necessarily show up and sounds to me like you could have one.  I have a good video of a lady who describes this very well, will look it up and see if i can get the details of it and let you know. (she found out eventually that is what she had).  I also feel i may have one too - i had my ears syringed by a heavy handed nurse and it really hurt.  \i've mentioned this to gp's consultants and just get poo poo'd!  But strangely |i didn't have a problem before, and then a few weeks later i did!!  go figure.

When you read on here and elsewhere how many people are having to deal with this it makes me wonder why they are fobbing us off.  If i could afford it i'd go private and i bet i'd get a better answer than i've got from NHS.  I'll get back to you on the other thing and if you want to check out details of the Oil Pulling i mentioned let me know and i will pm my e-mail address.

• Posted

I have read about them fistula and it sounds like me! i am so angry at the nhs and i would leave the builidng until he has done every test under the sun, yeah please pm me your email thanks x
    • Posted

hi, i pm'd you with my emaddress - did you get it.  |If not, can you pm me with yours so i can fwd the video which i've located.
    • Posted

Get checked if you have Meniere's 

Stop alcohol, chocolate, caffeine and reduce intake of salt.  Take a all natural water pill until you can see an ENT 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.