Very Confused... Ovarian cyst/mass

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all sorry it has been so long since I was on, but I have been very busy with college and everyday things... But to get everyone caught up to speed I went to the ER back in January was told that I had a 5x4 cm mixed cystic and solid mass with a small mural nodule, so it took me over a month to finally get into the gynecologist office (due to insurance issues) finally got to speak to the doctor and she at first told me that she was positive that I had adenomyosis (due to the size of my cervix) and also due to the size of the cyst/mass and I also had another (fluid cyst on my right ovary) that I was definately looking at a possible hysterectomy, but before she did surgery she wanted to do another ultrasound to see everything with her own eyes (which I definitely understand and appreciated) So I went in the following week and had an transvaginal ultrasound where she found that the so called ovarian mass with solid and fluid components was completely fluid and the one on my right ovary was still there with some more smaller cysts around it too. So her treatment plan completely changed from having surgery to me taking 3 months of birth control and wanted to see me back to see if the birth control would work. 

So what I do not understand is 1st how did the hospital's ultrasound show such a different picture than the doctors ultrasound? 

and 2nd is if that is such a thing that 2 ultrasounds could be so different will birth control seriously make these things go away? 

sorry so long just really becoming very frustrated.

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi CJ - So the ER did an Ultrasound (assuming it was a transvaginal U/S) and saw a cyst and a "solid mass" in January and then you had an appointment with an OBGYN a month or so later. At  your follow up appt, the Dr. said that she believed you had Adenomyosis due to an exam of your cervix and she said you were probably headed toward surgery (hysterectomy) but she wanted a follow up U/S first.

Note that a month had passed between the two U/S --- by your time frame given here, over a month actually. What changed? It's very possible that your cysts have changed in between the two U/S you had. I would suggest that it's likely. This may be why your Dr. has changed her suggested treatment plan.

I've had countless ovarian cysts -- while we all percieve pain differently, I know how painful they are, and I understand why you're confused and probably a little scared too..having Dr's throw around phrases like "You're on your way to surgery!" or "You're going to have a hysterectomy!!" -- *all* of this is scary.

Yes, birth control (also known as hormone therapy) can be extremely effective treatment of cysts and other hormonal issues we women can be presented with. The trick is finding the right hormone therapy for you (the right balance of hormones, that is). Your Dr is likely an excellent Dr. and she is most likely treating you with the best hormone therapy to get the desired outcome.  

Is this a new OBGYN for you? Do you have an existing relationship with an OBGYN (or this one)? How do you feel about this Dr....did she take the time to answer your questions and explain to you what her opinion is of your condition and why the BC she put you on is the best for your condition?

f you're confused about **anything**: your condition, the prognosis, your treatment plan, why the plan has changed since your follow up U/S, how effective your current treatment plan is in other patients she sees with similar conditions, etc -- call your Clinic and ask to speak to the Advice Nurse. Make a list of all of your concerns so that you don't forget any of your questions when you talk to the Nurse (or the Dr. if she returns your call). Ask for another appointment if you feel you want to have a face to face with your Dr. << There's nothing wrong with asking questions, and you're not being stupid or rude by asking follow up questions. Often, we are overwhelmed and sometimes scared when we get medical advice and we come home with more questions than answers. This is not uncommon and you shouldn't ever feel intimidated to ask for help. 

Listen to your gut, ask a trusted family member or friend about your concerns & maybe take a friend or family member to your follow up appoinjtments so that if you're feeling overwhelmed, your friend may remember things more clearly or ask questions you don't think to ask. << I find this to be *very* helpful for myself.

You're going to be ok. 

Keep us posted :D 

• Posted

I was first diagnosed with a fluid filled simple cyst 9x8x6 cm at a local ultrasound unit (U.K.) Then referred to consultant who could not feel anything so sent me for an internal ultrasound which found a cyst about the same size with some thickening. Explained to me as some bits sticking out of the ovary. Hysterectomy found a benign tumour nearly size of football. This was over a period of 6 months from beginning to end. Ovarian cysts can be caused by so many things e.g. Endometriosis. Let's hope that the birth control works and you will not need surgery. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.