very weak and sleepy after parathyroidectomy

Posted , 61 users are following.

I had a parathyroid gland removed on Thursday (four days ago). The surgeon was very happy - PTH fell already during the operation and my calcium was normal when they discharged me. I have since developed pins and needles and have been taking calcium supplement.

The scar itself doesn't bother me at all and I don't need painkillers anymore, which is great.

However, I am still very weak and still mostly in bed. Is it normal? Am I expecting too much too soon? Is it to do with calcium maybe falling too low?

How many days should it take before I feel strong enough to even look after myself? When should I start to worry?

Thanks

5 likes, 93 replies

93 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello, I live in the USA and I'm having the same problems as you. I had a Parathyroid Gland removed November 19th, 2013. I'm still so weak! My incision is fine too, no pain. I'm just extremely weak! I'm able to pretty much take care of myself now, but I get really weak and tired and out of breath when I try to do very much at all.

I even went back to the hospital a few days after my surgery because I felt so bad. My blood work seemed OK, calcium level was in the normal range. I am beginning to worry too, this doesn't seem normal. I hope someone in the medical field answers our questions. My surgeon doesn't seem to know what is wrong with me.

• Edited

Hi Nancy,

Good news! I started to feel better about 5/6 weeks after the surgery; since then I have felt better than in some years. I regained all my energy from before, and it seems that the days are longer now - I can do so much more than before. More energy, sleeping well, it's all good. My blood work is normal, and I feel quite happy :-)

So... Chin up, you might start feeling really well soon. Be patient. I wasn't and I think it was one of the problems. It takes longer for some people to recover from surgery than for others.

Let us know how you're doing.

All the best to you!

I

• Posted

Did you have any short term memory problems or foggy brain before or after having your parathyroid removed.
    • Posted

Hello Ivil, sorry I bother you. I am start a panicking. I had my surgery 16 of November, they removed2 parathyroidglands, after 3 weeks I still so weak and still have a muscle pain. Juts wondering, how long did you have weakness and do you comeback to normal? Thank you😊

• Posted

Hi ivil,

Thank you so much for writing me back. I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling better now. I have already noticed that I don't have as much pain in my bones! If this weakness will just go away! I'm wondering if my Calcum level may feel too low for me after being so high. 5 to 6 weeks sounds like such a long time! I'm not very patient either!

Thanks again

• Posted

Just about to take my wife through this operation (18th August 2015) surely it can't be as bad as the last 18 months?
    • Posted

Hi, I had my surgery on Monday, (10th). It's gone very well up to now. My calcium dropped from 125 to 25 almost immediately. I am more tired today than yesterday. I also have pins and needles, in my fingers, mostly. My stitch, ( it's one continuous fine metal thread, with what looks like a hippy bead on each end) is being removed on 19th. I didn't need any pain meds, apart from straight after surgery. :-)
    • Posted

Operation cancelled because limited beds means the allocated bed goes to a Cancer patient. Gutted.
    • Posted

Hi Phil,

So sorry to hear that for your wife,

Have they given her a new date?

Mine was cancelled on a Thursday was due to go in on a Friday, then went in on the following Monday,

I hope the wait isn't to long cheesygrin

Does she know how many she has to have removed and were the scans acurate?

Where abouts in the country is she having the op?

Good luck for when it goes ahead.

Fluffy

• Posted

Hello

Just wondering if your wife has had the op yet after the cancellation? If so, I hope all went well and that she is doing all right. I had surgery 6-7 weeks ago, not quite there yet; but, hoping things will improve soon.

• Posted

Hi phil28950 I was wondering if your wife has had the operation as I have been referred to Mr Roger Morgan in Morriston hospital and as I'm new to all this would like to know what he's like ? Any information would help thanks

• Posted

She is to have two removed (the bottom two). The operation is to take place at Morriston Hospital Swansea (local) by Mr Roger Morgan (Endicrinology and General Consultant Surgeon). But he is restricted by the number of beds available for post op recovery.
  • Posted

Just got date for operation (Parathyroidectomy) 28th September 2015. Surgeon returns from holiday on 21st so this is earliest possible. At least we have it in writing ( I know it's no absolute guarantee but what can I do).😀
    • Posted

So pleased she has finally go another date. I am sure she will be ok; the op was fine and it really doesn`t cause much discomfort so, tell her not to worry about that. Already, my scar is pale and flattening down more after only 6 weeks; I used oil on my scar to help it heal. I had awful symptoms of Parathyroid disease for 2 years; the worst was the exhaustion and insomnia. As you say, it can only get better for her after the surgery. I wish you both well.
    • Posted

Hi Phil,

Will keep fingers crossed for you and your wife, hope it goes ahead biggrin

If it does,let us know how she get's on, hopefully as they know which two are faulty they should be in and out quickly- thinking realisticly, whatever time they say she will recover by double it, and if she recovers before then she is doing well biggrin

You may want to look into your wife seeing a good physio after the brusing has gone down, to work on her neck and back area- depending on how much movement she has in her neck scar area and maybe a local homapath.

Good Luck- Fluffy

• Posted

Hi Lessy, sorry I bother you, you said you had very bad symptoms before surgery, is that symptoms gone? I had surgery 3 weeks ago and still feel so weak and still have a muscle pain 😫

thank you 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.