very weak and sleepy after parathyroidectomy

Posted , 61 users are following.

I had a parathyroid gland removed on Thursday (four days ago). The surgeon was very happy - PTH fell already during the operation and my calcium was normal when they discharged me. I have since developed pins and needles and have been taking calcium supplement.

The scar itself doesn't bother me at all and I don't need painkillers anymore, which is great.

However, I am still very weak and still mostly in bed. Is it normal? Am I expecting too much too soon? Is it to do with calcium maybe falling too low?

How many days should it take before I feel strong enough to even look after myself? When should I start to worry?

Thanks

5 likes, 93 replies

93 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

That's good advice, certainly we'll contact the physio (they have a walk in clinic so it should be easy). I'll let you know how we get on.😉
    • Posted

second operation cancelled due to bed shortages. When will they get round to doing it ( been on list for over a year)
  • Posted

I had one parathyroid gland removeddue to a tumor on oct 21,2015 still feel numbness in my hands and I feel weak overall especially my legs how are you feeling? How long did it take to feel better after the surgery?

• Posted

It sounds like you and I are feeling the same. I still take Tordol everyday because my muscles hurt. It's been a while now and I wonder how long it's going to take before i see change. I pray you feel better soon. Let me know how you get along.
  • Posted

Hi I just had the surgery on October 26, 2015 and I still feel poorly. I don't know what pins and needles are but my muscles feel like somebody poored acid on them and my stamina hasn't gotten any better. I don't know if I was overzealous in thinking that I would bounce back but that I've quickly come back to reality. I'm 47 and didn't bounce back. My doctor didn't put me on calcium supplements but in turn put me on 5000 units of vitamin D3. I feel no difference. I need advice. Any would be welcomed.

Sincerely

Traci

• Posted

Hi Traci,

Please let us know how you're feeling since your operation over a year ago.

• Posted

I'm sorry that some of you are having problems after parathyroid surgery, but it's good to know I'm not the only one.  I had parathyroid surgery in the middle of January 2016 (6 weeks ago) and expected to feel good in a week.  Instead, I had trouble breathing and felt as though I were going to pass out after the least exertion.  I'm a little better now, but have no stamina and am very weak and shaky all the time. What little I get around, I have to use a wheelchair. Has anyone felt this bad and recovered?  How long does it take?  Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories!
    • Posted

Hi Beth

How are you feeling now? I am 3 weeks post op and for the first time feeling human. This morning was the first time I woke without pins and needles which was great. :-) I felt really awful aftet the op and spent the first two and a half weeks in bed. Weak, depressed, tingly and an uncomfortable pressure in my solar plexus. So much better now. I think it is just takes time for the body to adjust to normal calcium levels. I take 1 g calcium citrate, k2, magnesium and vit d plus ç every day.

• Posted

Hi Willow,

Now, 2 1/2 months after parathyroid surgery, I can say that I totally recovered from the surgery in less than a month. My doctors didn't realize that I had something else going on, namely Lyme Disease (a tick-born disease).  Because I didn't start getting treated until 7 weeks after the symptoms began, it's been a long road to recovery. I'm better but still sick. My doctor expects me to be healed in another month. But this had nothing to do with the parathyroid surgery. It was just coincidental that both happened at the same time.

It's great that you're taking those supplements.  I hope you are back to normal soon. I switched from calcium citrate to calcium lactate because I seem to absorb it better. Your symptoms do sound like your body is adjusting back to normal. I wish you the best!

• Posted

Hello Beth  so glad you are better...I have read several stories from people saying that they gained a bunch of weight after surgery and had no control over it....did that happen to you?
  • Edited

I am 36 and having a parathyroidectomy in a few weeks to remove 1 gland.

I have only taken 2 weeks off work and hopping things will be back to normal by then.

Did anyone have a weight issues and they lost weight after the surgery?

• Posted

I was diagnosed with MEN 1 and had parathyroid removal five days ago. I can see now from these posts that I'm not alone in my (perhaps unreasonable) expectation to have felt immediate relief post-op. But the pain, exhaustion, weakness and brain fog remain. I had planned on jumping right back into dancing within a week and here I am, winded and depressed, another weekend lost on the sofa. I am encouraged to read that some of you did eventually get your health and lives back, even if it took up to 2 months. That gives me hope although selfishly I wonder if I will be well enough to hike the Highlands for my 40th as planned by mid-July.

And to mp76, I began gaining on average 10-15 lbs a month for a total weight gain of nearly 60 pounds before it leveled off. I am (or at least was at the time) very physically active (5-6 eveningS a week) and keep a careful diet. I cut cruciferous vegetables, soy and gluten. I went raw for about 2 months but that didn't make the scale budge either. The indigestion is the worst. My stomach is so distended, I look pregnant and I sometimes wake in the night vomiting undigested food on my pillow. Sorry, that's gross I know. I don't see many encouraging comments about losing the weight resultant from our body chemistry running amok but believe Me you are NOT alone. All I can think about is when this pain and weakness is finally gone, I'll be able to hit the weights and the dance floor again with a vengeance. The Will is still there, the body is not cooperating. Best of luck to you mp76 and to you all...

• Posted

Hi 1Boobookatie, how are you feeling now? Have you regained your energy yet and were you able to loose any weight?

I was diagnosed with MEN Type 1 years ago (maybe 4). I've just decided to have the parathyroid operation. I'm going in for a consultation today.

• Posted

i am in process of having surgery on oct 31st and i notice that i am eating more and more and my right arm ( lower part hurts after like 20 mins of doing the simple stuff . I am having my entire thyroid remove .
    • Edited

Hi Carmel! I just had parathyroidectomy done yesterday due to tumor. I am a 25 year old female. I gained about 15 pounds since May- I am very petite so this has had a dramatic effect on my body and taken an emotional toll as well. I too, felt as though I could just eat and eat and eat. I was and still am very confused because I saw online that primaryhyperparathyroidism usually causes weight loss, in fact, my great aunt who also has this condition, lost 40 pounds before operation. That being said, hopeful that there is someone else who has had my weight gain experience and that I'm not an anomaly or that the weight gain is something unrelated to hyperparathyroid/tumor. I refuse to buy new clothes because I will have this weight off just as soon as I am back to my normal self.

On top of this horrifying weight gain, I have had huge headaches that seemed to cease for about 2 hours daily and high blood pressure. Of course also had extreme fatigue. I could come home from work at 3 and go to sleep for the night. It takes everything I have to just stay awake until 8:30 ( when I put my daughter to bed). Then there is the complete BRAIN FOG. So embarrassing to try and be a professional and not have the ability to form coherent sentences (especially since being at a new school this year). My memory is a disaster. I have difficulty answering simple questions like how long I had been married or even something as simple as what I am doing tonight, if I answer verbally. Through a text or any other written expression, I had more processing time and am able to seem at least halfway there ( self perception is hopefully true). This of course, had a negative impact on my ability to create casual conversations with others because I would either try to be nice and reply with complete thought ( which would take me 10 times the amount of a normal person due to stumbling over words or processing what I actually needed to say) OR I would be short and seem rude. I couldn't remember times or dates of anything, so I began writing everything down and would have to refer to it numerous times to keep myself from panicking about forgetting something.

I am very hopeful about my surgery and am actually feeling good right now, but probably just due to pain medicine. Biggest problem is the pain on the inside of my neck-assuming it's my muscles? I absolutely cannot sleep and have been researching all sorts of Christmas presents all night long- have maybe gotten 4 hours of sleep.

How was your procedure and have you made any progress in weight loss? Did you have any similar experiences with brain fog, or fatigue previously?

• Posted

Hi Papoose,

I'm 36 year old male, and had a Parathyroidectomy on November 28th. I had a single adenoma on my lower left thyroid lobe. Prep Op Calcium was a 11.2 and Post Op I'm at 9.5. It's been 25 days post op and I too had hoped to feel relief right away. Bone pain, depression, brain fog, fatigue have remained. I've put on close to 80 pounds in the past 4 years leading up to the surgery. I wake up everyday feeling quite miserable and don't have any energy to leave the house. My surgeon told me that all these symptoms should reside in several months or more, but I'm feeling stuck. How have you been coping?

DJ

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.