very weak and sleepy after parathyroidectomy

Posted , 61 users are following.

I had a parathyroid gland removed on Thursday (four days ago). The surgeon was very happy - PTH fell already during the operation and my calcium was normal when they discharged me. I have since developed pins and needles and have been taking calcium supplement.

The scar itself doesn't bother me at all and I don't need painkillers anymore, which is great.

However, I am still very weak and still mostly in bed. Is it normal? Am I expecting too much too soon? Is it to do with calcium maybe falling too low?

How many days should it take before I feel strong enough to even look after myself? When should I start to worry?

Thanks

5 likes, 93 replies

93 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I feel just the same after my surgery last Monday and am also wondering how long before the pins and needles settles down. I am taking calcium and vit D as recommended by the endocrine team but the buzzing in my body does not seem to be abating. Was told that because my calcium levels have been high for so long the tingling is due to the body adjusting to the new levels but was told it should settle down within days.
  • Posted

Hi, please go to hyperparathyroid Action for uk on face book, say Nicola Bates refered you, Sallie, Amy, Kate or Al are the people to ask for, it is a wealth of knowledge , help and advice, sorry to hear you are still sufering, from someone who understands.

• Posted

Just found out I am so sick because I have both Lyme Disease and Babesia, two diseases that are spread by deer ticks. Apparently I was bitten by a tick just before my parathyroid surgery.  The symptoms of the parathyroid surgery were mild and all gone in about 2 weeks; the horrible symptoms I experienced after that were totally unrelated to the surgery.  I'm being treated for these 2 diseases now and hope to be better soon. By the way, after the parathyroid surgery, the doctor recommended that I take calcium citrate but I didn't absorb it well.  Now I take calcium lactate with magnesium and vitamin d.  This works well for me.
  • Posted

Hello ivil,

It happened to me as well. It took me around 5 weeks after the parathyroidectomi to feel better. In between those 5 weeks I was feeling so week that I couldnt stand out of my bed for the first 20 days. I was feeling dizzy and very weak. Now, 5 months later I am feeling so much better. I believe it was the best decision in my life till now, to remove my parathyroid that was causing ploblems all the time.

• Posted

5 weeks to feel better! Oh no!! I need to get up and out before then! How old are you if you don't mind me asking - i am almost 64- i don't have the patience to wait 5 weeks- lol- i babysit my great-grandson 2 times a week and go to the gym 6 times a week- my surgery was last wednesday- i am feeling really bad- please advise - thanks!!

• Posted

Hi Judi,

Would just like an update as to how you're feeling.

• Posted

Anyone that has hyperparathyroid.. please google Norman Parathyroid Center, located in Tampa Florida. They only specialize in this surgery. I made the trip from Ohio, and well worth it. It's about a total of 6 hours from check-in to check-out. Very small incision, they check all 4 glands while in surgery and I was eating dinner right after surgery, followed by walks on the beach. Only thing I have experienced is a tad bit tired during the afternoons, but starting multi vitamins to help with that. Highly recommend them... you will not regret it.
    • Posted

Hi Greg. 

I also had  my surgery at the Norman Parathyroid Center. It was truly the best decision I've ever made. The fact that they test each gland while you're in surgery is worth the trip. I live in California, so it took me all day to get there too. 

It's only been a little over 3 weeks for me and I still have afternoon tiredness. Dr Norman said I should be back to normal in 2 months. I'm 61, so I'm thinking it may take me a little longer than most.  He also said my tumor had been there for at least 10 years, so that might make a difference too. 

If people are still feeling bad after two months, they might have another tumor that was missed. (This is what the literature says from the Norman Parathyroid Center)  It's too bad that other centers don't check out the other glands durung surgery. I would highly recommend the Norman Center too! 😊

• Edited

Hello- hope you are doing well after your surgery- i have some questions i hope you can help me- i am a 63 1/2 year old woman. I had my surgery last wednesday. I am feeling very depressed and hopeless. I had all these great expectations from the surgery. I read all this stuff online about feeling so great after the surgery. It's been just the opposite. I was led to believe the surgery was in and out. I was there 12 hours and couldn't wake up from the operation. They put me in the car and sent me home- i was a zombie for the next few days- just sleeping- tell me about your experience please-

• Edited

Hi Judi    I am having my parathyroidectomy this coming Thursday.  So, I am unable to comment on post op progress yet.  It appears that most people do feel a lot better eventually but not usually immediately.  I have really suffered over the past 2 years and I am also like you desperate to feel better.  I have a first grandchild arriving in November and have a home to run etc.  I will let you know how I progress post operatively.  I hope you have seen sosme improvement today even if it is just  a ittle.
  • Posted

Hoping your surgery went well. I had mine done Sept 1st and within a week I had 90% of my energy back. I still have issues but it's because I have MEN 1 and other areas are affected, like an adenoma on my Adrenal Gland. I still get tired but so thankful for the return of my energy.

• Posted

Hi Ivil,

I had parathyroid surgery on July 29th and I'm just starting to feel myself again. I started feeling better about two weeks after surgery, but it wasn't instantaneous, so give it time and you'll see a big improvement soon 😊

• Posted

My parathyroid surgery was one week again, Oct. 12.  My bone pain was gone almost immediately after surgery.  However, I am still quite fatigued.  After reading from these comments above, it would seem that I have at least 2 months post surgery before I should feel more energetic.  I am not very patient bc I have been so listless for months and months; however, I am thankful for no bone pain.  
    • Posted

Hi Joy,

I had a parathyroidectomy on November 28th. It's been 25 days post op and I'm not feeling any better. PreOp calcium was 11.6 and Post op is now 9.5. Fatigue, bone pain and depression still remain. Keeps me restless and agigtated. How are you feeling?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.