very weak and sleepy after parathyroidectomy

Posted , 61 users are following.

I had a parathyroid gland removed on Thursday (four days ago). The surgeon was very happy - PTH fell already during the operation and my calcium was normal when they discharged me. I have since developed pins and needles and have been taking calcium supplement.

The scar itself doesn't bother me at all and I don't need painkillers anymore, which is great.

However, I am still very weak and still mostly in bed. Is it normal? Am I expecting too much too soon? Is it to do with calcium maybe falling too low?

How many days should it take before I feel strong enough to even look after myself? When should I start to worry?

Thanks

5 likes, 93 replies

93 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had surgery on the 18th of February. I felt better immediately!!! I'm am 45 years old and overnight feel like 20 years have been added to my life. When I read your post the first thing that crossed my mind is if they removed all of the glands that were bothersome to you. My MRI/CT didn't pick up the bad one on the scan. They actually removed the "wrong" gland, went back in and took a second one which was the correct one. They also put me on Calcium 600mg+D3 (with 400 IU of Vitamin D3). My. Biggest complaint is the itching coming from my incision!! My fatigue is gone.

• Posted

Hi! I just wanted to thank everyone who has taken the time to write here. Before my diagnosis of hyperparathyroidism, I never even heard of this disease. It's been an eye opener for me. .... I feel that I have had this disease for awhile but my doctors did not pick up on my symptoms. Years ago, a medical professional was explaining my blood results. She said my calcium was high but her remedy to me was to drink less milk. Anyway, this time around, I can thank my GYN who alertly picked up on my drastic decrease of bone on my bone density scan. She started the ball rolling which finally led to me having a parathyroidectomy (two days ago). So far, I'm feeling okay. Today, I actually feel good. I slept decently. I did take Tylenol PM but that was a big deal for me. I even went to the gym. My incision is a bit uncomfortable, however. I'm almost afraid to feel happy that I'm feeling good. I figure if I can string together four days of feeling good, then I'll have reason to celebrate.

• Posted

hello...looking for reassurance that you did not gain weight...have read from a few that they had unexpected uncontrollable weight gain after surgery...nothing in the literature to support that
    • Posted

I've gained weight .. My appetite is crazy out of control now!

• Posted

thanks for the answer...as long as it is something i have a choice about   that will help....if it happened no matter what, then it would be a big problem
    • Posted

It's been a week, and I have no weight gain or increase in appetite. I wanted to ask you if you have been diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism and if the weight gain issue is preventing you from moving forward? If you would rather not respond, I'll understand.

• Posted

Hello..yes to hyperparathyroidism and osteopenia..moving forward no matter..just did not want to get fat....... I am a small person and work hard to stay in shape...thanks so much for your help  hugs to you
    • Posted

I totally understand. I,too, was alarmed when I read some posts here of excessive weight gain. I, too, had severe osteopenia. That is what sounded the alarm that something wasn't right and eventually led to my hyperparathyroidism diagnosis. .... Less than 48 hours after the surgery, I worked out at the gym and have been doing so every day since. As I said, there's been no weight gain. It sounds like you are on top of your health (like me) so that's good. I wish you the best with your surgery and recovery. Keep us posted.

• Posted

hello trying to get the date changed to june 8th   norman parathyroid for you?  
    • Posted

Are you asking if I had my surgery at the Norman Parathyroid center? If so, the answer is no. I had my surgery in NYC. ..... I hope you succeed in getting your surgery moved up to an earlier date. I know for me the surgery couldn't have happened soon enough. I wanted it behind me.

• Posted

I only had the surgery two days ago so I cannot answer that. I have seen a few posts here that said there was weight gain. I,too, have not read anything about weight gain in all that I have read. ... I will post back here after a period of time to let you know about the weight issue.
  • Posted

Hi, I had my parathyroid adenoma taken out back in 2012.  Mine was taken at the same time as my thyroid.  I also had Graves Disease.

After surgery, I was affected by tetany, with the symptoms being a very fine tremor all over, stiff feeling face and needing to wee a lot.  These are the symptoms of the calcium getting too low.  The real cause was that the hospital pharmacy was out of Vit D, so although I was taking heaps of calcium, there was not enough Vit D for my body to use it.

I did not suffer weakness at all, in spite of the double op, so I would say that your weakness is not normal and you should see your dr again.

With me, once they realized that my body was unable to use the calcium, they took some Vit D from another patient's supply and dosed me appropriately and my symptoms disappeared.

You should be feeling quite normal already.  Good luck.

• Posted

I had my parathyroidectomy last Wednesday. So far, I'm feeling very well. The question I post to all of you is how did you treat your scar?

• Posted

I just want to share that it took five months, but now I'm feeling great. I had to

Take three then two then one calcium, couldn't get it right. Too little made cramps

Too much calcium made me very tired. Right now on none, and I feel so

Well I'll go without a while.

Energy is better than in years.

• Posted

hi

i just saw this post.

i am not 6 months and fatigue and weakness and brain fog still going.

my calcium levels are in range and so is ionized but at the lowest end of the range.

did you have similar ?

i havent been taking calcium supplements.

my life proper calcium wias in the mid 9's not 8.8

do you have any suggestions for me.

ive seen every dr and no one has anything for me.

im a 61 yr old man that was running marathons and now cant wal for a mile..

need help if you have anything for me..

Paul

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.