Viral Hives

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

Last year I struggled with hives caused by viral (I was sick). I tried everything I could image to get rid of my hives, however it did not go away but lasted over a year. When I was younger my hives would go away after 2 weeks after being sick. The funny thing is that my year long bout with hives only ended when I got the flu!!! This was last year. Last month I got sick again (common cold) and I again am struggling with hives. I'd like to know if anyone knows what is it with the flu that got rid of my hives last year? I can control it with zyrtec, but I don't want to be taking zyrtec for long period of time.

Jay

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sadly, I'm not sure anyone really knows the ways that a virus and autoimmune hives can interact. It's complex and not understood how the virus and immune system antibodies, antigens and mast cells all operate and sometimes with physical triggers added into the mix as well. I suppose a major bout of the flu can knock down and rebuild your immune system in significant ways. It's a major shock to the system and when the immune system rebuilds itself, the adaptive part will be slightly different than before, depending on what route it took to conquer the virus.

I assume you didn't have antibiotics if it was viral. I know antibiotics have been known to cause remission in some patients.

• Posted

Thank you desmond01416 for your reply. I finally realized what helped my hives during my bout with the flu. I had been taking loads of Liposomal vitamine C. It took a great deal of time of me reflecting on this. When I remembered vitamine C, I loaded up by taking 5-7 1000mg for 3 days and amazingly it worked!!! I had struggled with this round of hives for a month and vitamine C got rid of it. I still take 1000mg daily for health reasons, but no more zyrtec! All this time and the answer was under my nose! If you look on youtube on "high dosage vitamine C" it's interesting the amount of ailments it can cure. I hope to help others as so many have helped me with other questions.

• Posted

It is interesting. There's been some studies in the past showing a benefit for Vitamin D in reducing severe Asthma severity. And more recently again, similar studies hinting there might be similar benefits for Urticaria. Though, unlike Vitamin C, you have to be careful not to take too much Vitamin D (< 4000 IU and might need levels checked).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.