Walking like a penguin

Posted , 12 users are following.

I mentioned to a colleague that I was having a hip replacement, and she said that her brother had had the operation and now walks like a penguin.  Why would this be?  I limp now but not penguin-like, how would I prevent penguin-walking?  I know what she means as I noticed another member of staff with this type of gait.

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Perhaps he didn't get the proper Physical Therapy. Muscles lose tone and leg will not return to normal unless proper muscles are built up. During the surgery they are brutal and cut through muscles and tendons also nerves. They need to be worked to get back to normal. Watch YouTube video for exercises but for him, it might be too late depending how long ago his surgery was.
  • Posted

Use your crutch when out walking until you can walk straight without it. By doing so you strengthen your inner thigh muscles and train them to help you walk straight 
  • Posted

Maybe he is being overly cautious....
  • Posted

It is due to the muscles being weak. I was walking like it, and try as I might, could not correct it so I asked for both physio and hydrotherapy. Much better now
    • Posted

Absolutely the penguin walk comes from damaged muscles and or weakness, your friend should see a physio as soon as possible ideally, it needs work otherwise there is a risk of continuing to walk badly. Mine is going now too thank goodness. 
  • Posted

i was determined not to penguin walk and as one of the hippies said use a stick, I bought a lightweight fold up stick from Amazon £2.99 ! When I walk the dog I take it and use it if I start to penguin walk

the Physio should give you the correct excercises to remedy the gait

i had problems as I started with plantar facitus in the unaffected leg! Bought insoles and flip flops I have been great

ruth

• Posted

Hi Wendy, 

Do you have a date scheduled for surgery?

Try to not listen to all the stories about hip replacements, okay - some of them are gruesome and others so miraculeous ( climbing mountains, training for marathon at 6 weeks post op or even sooner )

I agree with all comments - it might also be the brain finding the easiest way to walk and also be habitual - It can be corrected, so don;t worry right now.

Big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee,

My date for surgery is 15th February, not long now.  And of course my hip isn't giving me that much pain.

I know that I should have it done, as on  my 'bad' days it is very painful walking let alone trying to sit, bend or lift my leg.  it's just that I am not a very sedentary person and I will find the enforced rest quite difficult, I also am very dependant and don't look forward to asking for help.

Wendy

• Posted

Wendy, there are MANY reasons why a person would still be walking with a limp after THR. And a person should be able to get treatment for all of those reasons, and then be limp-free. Who knows if her brother is seeking help for his limp.

Most people do not walk with a limp after hip replacement, but go on to have wonderful recoveries and new, pain-free lives.

• Edited

Thanks for the replies, so basically I need to ensure that I do the post-op exercises and concentrate on strenghthen the muscles.
    • Posted

The muscles are usually cut or sometimes parted if you are lucky during a total hip replacement, it takes a while for them to knit back together, once they have healed they will be weak - so they will need to strengthen again, with special exercises that you are given and walking etc. The hip itself is rock solid, it is simply a muscle building exercise for most people. Everyone limps initially according to my physio, and given the carpentry involved you will not be able to have your operation, stand up and start to walk again perfectly, it will take some time. As Annie rightly said almost all patients recover very well and will walk perfectly, you are extremely unlikely to be left with any kind of limp.but obviously there are always the odd exceptions. I hope this helps!
  • Posted

i was told by my surgeon that it can make one leg slightly shorter than the other
  • Posted

i had hip replacement 20 months ago. the post surgery leg length was 19 mm shorter (3/4 inch). I recently installed outside security cams and see a habitual penguin walk. my post op PT said my concern of a short leg was BS and the surgeon had me wait 6 months before having it measured. i use a heel lift in my shoe which i thought was enabling me to walk normal. i still walk most days and try to hold an even gate, but the camera shows otherwise when i arrive home. The penguin walk is quite unbecoming.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.