Weight Gain

Posted , 16 users are following.

Has anyone else struggled with weight gain with hyperthyroidism. I honestly thought I had underactive because I have put on so much weight over last three years and seem totally unable to control it or do anything about it.

I am taking carbimazole and due to have radio iodine therapy near Christmas.

Consultant tells me it will all come right eventually - is he humouring me or telling the truth?

Can anyone help

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I have just been diagnosed with overactive thyroid and have also put on a lot of weight - about 3 stone in 3 years. It's very depressing and I know what you're going through! Sorry I can't offer any advice as I haven't yet started treatment but you are not the only one!
  • Posted

hi both i can only say what the experiences with my daughter have been. she has had over active thyroid for 10 yrs (since 15 years old)she has become very under weight and has been since being diagnosed, she never stops eating!!! the reason for the weight gain could be the medication you are taking is over working , and making your thyroid underactive. my daughter has regular blood tests but due to the medication making her ill she has recently had the radio iodine treatment and her goitre has gone and she is sleeping better but shes still losing weight so she has a hospital appointment ina few weeks to see if the treatment has worked. i realise a lot of people underestimate how much the thyroid gland can affect peoples day to day lives. gail
  • Posted

I am having exaxtly the same problems but my thyroid has fluctuated over and under for about seven years and have been on , thyroxine , carbimazole and prpramanol all at different times , recently my throid function test showed that I was starting to go overactive again but I still felt sluggish and was overweight and when i asked my endo why I was still fat he wasn't very helpful and informed me that all fat people don't have thyroid problems!!!! he put me back on carbimazola and then said if I didnt take my medication for 6 months then I definitely wouldn't be fat but it would be extremely dangerous , I am due to go back to see him in a months time and I have to discuss either Radio active Iodine or surgery because in his words' this has gone on long enough'but am afraid if I intervene to destroy part of the throid gland while I am still overweight that I will never return to a normal size Kxx
  • Posted

hi k

the consultant that administered the radioiodine told lisa that she should go back to a \"normal\" weight for her she was never big to start but she did have thoughts about putting on weight but it hasnt happened so i would ask the doc about any queries you may have about having the treatment as i see it my daughter became very ill indeed so if she had put on weight it would be better than being ill all the time hope all goes well for you.

pslisa gone to the hospital today for her first post-treatment appointment keep you posted how it went. gail

• Posted

hi all

well lisas back fromthe hospital and looks like the radioiodine hasnt worked shes had to go on different meds now cos her heart beat is\"stupidly high\" and she,ll have the treatment again in two months, im not surprised as her appetitie hasnt diminished at all and to us thats the sign with her. so here we go again. keep you posted. gail

• Posted

Hi, I've just discovered this site and what a relief. I was diagnosed overactive thyroid in July and in the last 6 weeks have put on 12 lb. Quite distressing a I am only a small frame. Went to see a consultant today at my local hospital who was quite surprised by the severity of some of my symptoms and the rapid weight gain. Said it could be the medication or the fact that the dose of carbimazole that I have been on has now made me borderline underactive and has more than halved my dose to 10mg. Does anyone have days of utter dispair and think they will never be well again. I think at the moment I am near rock bottom, weepy mood swings and even with sleeping tablets struggling to sleep and getting fatter by the day it seems.

I was also told that as a lady of a certain age (51) (ahem) (feel loads younger) it was quite unusual for me to have this diagnosis, let alone the range of symptoms ( Chronic itching, inflamed joints (was orig.tested for rheumatoid arthritis when up popped thyroid), inability to sleep,breathlessness, palpatations, hyperactive(think billy whizz on speed),bad temper, weepy, trembling, shaking and more recently constipation). Think that about covers it all for now !!!!!! Reading back it looks like I'm a hypercondriact.....anyone else had a varied range of symptoms. Cheers all x x

• Posted

so funny- we have to keep our sense of humour!

I had...sweating, tremours, weightloss,itching,rash,hair loss, ocular migraine, leg pain, palpitations.....and wait for it....a trembling jaw......

And they say you may experience 'some of the symptoms'... lol

N

• Posted

Gail , sorry Lisas treatment hasnt worked hope you get it sorted out soon ,Jan I have had all the symptoms you have described and some !!! I am thoroughly fed up of the whole thing , I was supposed to go for an operation on an extremely painfull shoulder impingement ( frozen shoulders etc can be associated with thyroid probs too )I saw my endo on the friday when he put me back on carbimazole and I went into hospital on the following wed for the operation when the anaesthetist[size=18:d32027b422] refused[/size:d32027b422] to let the operation take place as he claimed that any stress can make you extremely thyrotoxic , I was furious as here again thyroid has b*ggerd up my life again , I have been in pain with this shoulder for over 3 years and as I am a carer for my disabled husband had all the arrangements in place and since it has been cancelled I will have to rearrange it all againwhen they decide to do it . at the moment I think the carbimazole is working too well I didnt get up till 10am this morning and by 1.30 was shattered and had to go back to bed where i slept till 3.45 :?but had terrible nightmares , i see the endo again on the 14th next month where i have to tell him whether i want to have the operation or radioactive Iodine and also to discuss streoid treatment which will hopefully prevent my eyes getting any worse than they are at the moment , sorry to go on and on it feels like i have written a screed but its good to be able to write to people who understand exactly what you are going through take care Kxx
  • Posted

Hi Kay2, Jan here, when you mentioned your shoulder, it made me think, I had steroid injections in January because of a troublesome joint. I couldn't get my arms to reach round to wash my back and had quite limited mobility in them. At the time I was undiagnosed with my thyroid, and it makes me think that this and a couple of other things could all have been to do with my thyroid. Sometimes I wonder if what seem to be underlying problems are the thyroid or not. Once you've been diagnosed with this it seems that most other problems are \"to do with the thyroid or the meds.\" and it will all be better when you're med dose is right.!!!!!! Don't worry about \"going on\" it does you good to vent. At least as you say people here know what you are going through.. Chin up xxxxxx
  • Posted

smile I have just been diagnosed Hyperthyroid at age 50 - may have had it over 2 - 3 years but just put it down to the menopause. I also have put on a lot of weight in the past 2+ years - just over 3 stone. Also diagnosed with Irritable Bowels 3 years ago due to daily diarrhoea, but was advised last week by GP that over active thyroid can sometimes cause diarrhoea. I am just keeping fingers crossed that once I have had treatment I may be able to shed this flab and generally feel more normal. . . hooray . . ..

Having read many comments and internet articles I am amazed how many symptoms can be attributed to this disorder.

• Posted

Hi, I have only just started taking carbimazole for my overactive thyroid. I have also put on over 12lb since xmas. The doctor says its uncommon to put on weight but some do. This site is great to actually see that other people have the same problem. It really gets me down putting on weight and makes me think how much more am I gona gain.

I have joined Weight Watchers to see if it helps alittle. I will keep am eye on this site now to see if anyone else comes up with a solution. The doctor has said once everything calms down I will go back to normal, yeah right!!!!! sad

• Posted

Hi All,

I've had these symptoms too. I've always struggled a little with my weight so was so surprised to find out I had hyperthyroidism, not hypo (my dad has hypo and alot of our symptoms were identical). Then, since starting Carbimazole a year ago, I've put on nearly 10kg more! The annoying thing is that when you look on forums like this it seems like maybe half of people experience weight gain before they're diagnosed, but the doctors seem to think it's really unusual. I'd really like to hear from some people who are further along and have stopped taking Carbimazole, to find out whether they found it easier to manage their weight once their condition stabilized.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid in June 2007, but I had manage to put on 4 stones in 4 years. I had always been about 8 stone and found in difficult to put on weight and looked ill most of the time. When I starting putting on weight I thought it was great, I finally looked healthy but I did not expect to put on so much weight and I could not get rid of it. Going from being the thinnest of my sisters to the heaviest has been very depressing. I finally got the courage to see my GP - I thought I was going nuts my temper tantrums could be extreme, I would burst into tears for no reason, I was breathless and thought I was having a heart attack along with having the shakes. I was glad to find out my problems had a name, but my first question to the GP was I should be thin if I have and overactive thyroid, so what has happened? I was referred to the hospital and the consultant told my I have a complex form of overactive thyroid and that I probably had this for a number of year without realising it. I was given carbimazole starting at 20mg now down to 5 mg, they are keep me at this level until I have my thyroid removed but have no guarantees that I will lose the weight. I was not given a lot of treatment options as I want to start a family, I'm 35. There is no guarantees of me losing weight and I will be on medication for the rest of my life.
  • Posted

In May 2000, I started to lose weight and was rather pleased as I had given birth 5 months earlier to a beautiful girl. In addition to the weight loss, I became quite jumpy and on edge. Added to this I had an eczema style rash appear on my hands, elbows, knees etc..

I did nothing - a busy Mum of 2, working full time....I had no time to see a doctor, had never been ill and refused to accept there was anything wrong with me.

Gradually, my weight returned to a normal level and I continued on with life.

Until....

Mid 2007, I was majorly stressed by my new boss (introduced by MD in March 2007) and rapidly started to lose weight. In addition, I started to shake, shiver, feel weak, had red palms (something my mother had told me all the women in her family have), feel hot, have itchy eyes, panic attacks - the list goes on.

By October 2007, I was a wreck. Bursting into tears on the phone to my Mum, visibly shaking - my husband now became quite concerned.

In the end (December 2007) I went to my doctor (not for the thyriod problem - but for a chest infection that I couldn't shift) I was tested for Hyperthyroidism immediately and waiting for the results in the doctors surgery - I was off the scale...and appararently should not have been able to stand or function - even though I was still working full-time, being a mum to 2 kids, cooking, cleaning etc..

My weight was 43kg 157cm - a bmi of just 17.4 (desperately underweight)

It was at this point that my Dad advised me that my grandmother had suffered from the condition....PARENTS MAKE SURE YOUR KIDS KNOW THEIR FAMILY MEDICAL HISTORY!!!

I am now undergoing treatment and currently take 60mg of Carbimazole daily (started at 15mg) in order to stop losing weight and control my symptoms.

Following this - I no longer feel like I have been hit by a train in the morning and have a far better chance of sleeping at night.

I have managed to get my weight back to 49.5kg - 157cm. Which is healthy. (BMI - 20.1)

But best of all, I now have the energy to keep up with my sporty kids, and the knowledge that I will be around to see them grow

• Posted

Hi everyone , my last post in november last year I was a bit upset (more than just a bit lol ) about having my operation cancelled because of my unstable thyroid , well here I am nearly a year later and loads has happened but its still unsettled and I am still about 4 stone overweight !!!! , in January I got my shoulder impingement operation done and its been quite sucessful although I will never get a full range of movement back , then in April I had Radio Active Iodine treatment and hoped that by now everything would be settled , not much hope lol , in June my bloods showed that my TSH was still showing symptoms of overactivity being 39 , I had my blood retested in September to be told when visiting my horrible Endo that my TSH had plummeted to 3 !!!! (my GP had already put me on 100mg of thyroxine) my endo than said that it was a wonder I was able to function normally which made me feel slightly better because I feel a real moaning minnie and a hypochondriac as there always seems something wrong with me , from extreme tiredness , aching muscles , problems with my eyes , breathlessness , I have only been on my thyroxine for a month but am beginning to wonder if I will ever feel 'normal' again and I am really afraid because I think I have forgotten what 'normal' feels like Kxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.