weight gain

Posted , 11 users are following.

been using omeprazole 20mg now for 15 months i have put on at least 2 stone and developed man boobs so i think i will have to find another cure

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

After 2 1/2 years on Omeprazol I´ve gained over 4 stone even though all logic should mean me loosing weight (due to my diet). i even spent a few months in India living on vegetarian diet, hiking everywhere and still managed to gain weight.... I think I´ll just quit the medecine and choose GERD instead.
  • Posted

I am so glad to have found this forum and see that others have gained weight using Omeprazole as well. I've been taking it for just over a year now and have gained 2 stone much to my dismay. I count calories so therefore eat really healthy, power walk twice a week, do strength training 3 times a week, thinking that if I build muscle I'll burn fat but even that's not working. I've been looking on the Internet at the side effects but the medical profession doesn't seem to have acknowledged yet that weight gain is a side effect. So my question for everyone is, has anyone found a way to loose weight while taking Omeprazole? What I am

doing has slowed the weight gain but not stopped it and I''m not able to loose. I think I'll have to stop taking it and see how it goes....

Note to Brulla, the problems you are experiencing are typical side effects of this drug. Here's the web site I saw it on. www.peoplespharmacy.com/2000/04/01/omeprazole/

• Posted

My doctor put me on this and I took 40mg a day and after 4 weeks I had gained 5 LBS. I've always weighed 8 stone 3 lbs so a 5 lb gain is a lot for me. I took myself off the meds and am dieting to get myself back in

shape. I had to go out and buy new Xmas party dresses, nothing I had looked good on me :-(

• Posted

The best thing I can suggest for these side effects is that you speak to your general practitioner and say that you are not happy with this medication and they should be able to possibly try an alternate medication and/or place you on a dieting medicine or put you in touch with a gym or a dietitian.

This may not be the solution to your problem, but I certainly hope that this helps you.

• Posted

I have been on omoprazole for 18 months and have gained 2 stone in weight. I have tried every

Diet under the sun and haven't lost a single lb. I stopped taking the medication 3 days ago and have lost 3lb.

• Posted

I have been taking Omeprazole for almost 12 years and unlike others have not seen any weight gain, I do however note a bloated stomach during the day. On waking each morning, the bloated stomach has gone completely. I then take my 20mg at 7am and by 12noon bloatedness returns. It normally lasts until 7pm or so then reduces thereafter.
  • Posted

As this discussion is a year old, I've resureccted it again with another post.  I have also gained weight but hadn't associated it with the omeprazole which has been prescribed for silent reflux and a hacking cough, and isn't working anyway.

Dieting had no effect when it usually does and I am thinking seriously about stopping taking it.  People have suggested Aloe Vera but I'm not confident.

Have you solved your problem in the last 12 months?  I do hope so.

• Posted

Hysterical, I always assumed the meds made me gain weight, and when the pharmacy wanted me to check I should still be on my meds as one of the tablets they said should only be for the first year... So went to go, asked was I meant to be on both ...he checked me over, told me to go to have some tests from the hospital (all fine) and told me I'd gained weight, I just dismissed it from meds, and he laughed and said no, it was down to me. 

Found him him rubbish all round though, will go back in a while when he's not there to ask again, as he never actually answered me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.