Weight gain and fluid retention

Posted , 5 users are following.

hello ladies. Im a bit worried about my health and wondered if I should blame it on menopause. Almost 3 years into menopause, have have the full spectrum of symptoms. Most are subsiding and hot flushes stopped a few weeks ago. A few days ago, I noticed I wasnt peeing much. Went to loo with normal feeling of wanting to go, then only passed a trickle. This went on for two days, no pain, no smell, all normal except very low volume. Noticed my ankles were swollen and I felt bloated. Ive been putting on weight steadily for months now, although I watch my diet and exercise well almost evry day. Went to doc today and have been referred for bladder and kidney scan. Seem to be back to normal today on the loo front. I started menopace, calcium and magnesium last week, but had already been taking b complex and d vitamins. On thyroxine tablets, but told my levels are now normal. Can any of you relate to this? I feel my body is out of control and the weight issue is really getting me down, stopped smoking 9 months ago. If I go on at this rate of weight gain, Im going to burst! Thanks! X

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes, go to Dr and get things checked and have full blood test to se if anemic or thyroid problems. But if everything is OK your weight gain may be due to giving up smoking. As a ex smoker of 7 years I put on a 14 pounds in the first year and this has steadily creeped up to another 14 pounds. I am again at Weight Watchers which is the only thing that does work for me as long as I go to the meetings to get weighed. Not smoking decreases your metobolic rate - and have to wait till all the toxins are out of your body and eventually the metobolic weight will settle took me about a year to come to a halt on that weight gain. But then I only half heartedly did a weight loss programme. Write down what you eat each day and weigh how much for meat and carbs. Then calculate calories - you may be surprised - and cut down on sugary fizz drinks and wine if you drink this. You no longer have the cigerates so you  be picking up more snacks instead of having a cigeratte. I certainly did. But giving up is the best thing I ever did so well done on the 9 months. 
  • Posted

Hi Debbie, I have struggled with hundreds of symptoms and wonder if they are related to menopause, getting older, or something else, I suspect a good deal is hormonal but its awful. I had some urinary issues too, they have improved, I think seeing the dr is a good idea. I have the bloating too, and numerous problems with NOT being able to lose weight. I totally understand your feelings when you say your body is out of control, I feel the same way and its depressing sometimes Do you take blood pressure medications. I take amelodepine and I was told it can cause swollen ankles and I get leg, arm, and ankle swelling really bad. I take B, D, magnesium, and fish oils, and flaxseed, while I am sure this helps some, to be very blunt, none of it seems to make a huge difference. I would also talk to a homeopathic dr. I plan on going that route too.  Good Luck
  • Posted

Hi Debbie 

I'm with the ladies I would say see a doctor I have had problems with my urine at times. Just last week I felt my legs were swollen my doctor said it was not that bad with the swollen but I was a little nervous 

Go see your doctor it could be your blood pressure is up and that you stoped smoking go see your doctor 

• Posted

Thanks every one for your support. Went to shops tonight to buy new clothes, bursting out of everything I have. The assistant asked if she could help and I explained my chubby issues. She lifted up her top to reveal her trouser button and zip undone too. She had stopped smoking last year and is in menopause too. We did have a laugh. Im now the owner of three new pairs of trousers that actually fit, hoorah! And two were on sale. Btw, my blood screen was normal and Im taking the usual concoction of vitamins and minerals. Xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.