Weird Shingles symptoms

Posted , 22 users are following.

I was dx with Shingles last week. Rash on my left buttocks. But prior to that I had severe joint pain on my hands, knees and elbows. They put me on prednisone thinking maybe it was RA. Then after the prednisone I developed the rash. They put me on valtrex, neurontin, and norco. The weird thing is i have tingling in my left ankle on my achilles tendon region, my left ringer finger and pinky. Is it possible this is from the shingles and is the nerve irritation? I have googled until I am blue in the face and all it says is you get tingling where the rash is and that's all. Also, since being on the valtrex my joint pain has gotten better and so has my rash. I've been on valtrex for 4 days 3 gms a day. Also I am exhausted and all over body aches. Any insite to this would be greatly helpful. I am an ER nurse so I understand the disease but not these weird symptoms and my PCP doesn't seem to think it's related, but I can't help but think it is. Sorry for the lengthy post. And thank you in advance for help :-)

4 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Christine,

I have found that in the past when I have had Shingles I get tingling all over the place, then the rash would appear on my right buttock and down my right leg. So yes I think it is nerve pain. Sometimes in my head at one side would tingle but never got a rash there. Good luck hope you soon feel better. xxx

• Posted

Thank you SO much for your reply. It makes me feel so much better knowing I am not going crazy! The tingling is always there just sometimes more intense. I am hoping that the neurontin will eventually stop it. Thank you again!
  • Posted

Christine...your symptoms sure sound like shingles nerve issues. I had tingling from my head to my feet but rash just here and there - on both sides of my body too. Primary rash was around the abdominal belt. It's been 5 months, and I still have the tingling and some itching. Because I have an autoimmune disease, my symptoms were not classic and thus the DR did not diagnose shingles. I have had them before so didn't need somebody to tell me. Frustrating to say the least! Be patient and take good care of yourself. 
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply! This makes me feel so much more relaxed. I actually have an auto immune disease as well. I have crohn's disease. So this could be my problem as well. Thank you again and I will do my best. Like I said I am an ER nurse and not sure how much longer they will let me stay out of work :-/ You take care too!
  • Posted

Christine,

Check out the thread, Exhausted post shingles, on this Patient website, as there are many helpful comments about shingles there. I also have researched extensively, and am glad that I found this Patient forum. My husband's precursor was neck pain. The blisters developed on his upper arm on the same side. Forunately, pain is not a problem for him, however great fatigue is. Eat well and rest. Don't overdo. I wish the best for you.  

Sierramar

• Posted

Thank you! I will definitely check it out. I am extremely fatigued from this. I have yet to wake up before noon and still have to take a late afternoon nap. Plus I'm in bed by midnight!
    • Posted

If you aren't living with someone, please alert a friend or friends who can help you with healthy food. I realize that it is difficult to ask for assistance, but now is a good time. Periodically let us know how you are doing.

Sierramar 

• Posted

Also, if you simply type in Shingles, you'll find other threads of discussions about shingles. Just discovered this myself.  Sierramar
  • Posted

Hi Christine,

Your physician sounds great as he prescribed an antiviral, an opioid, and neurontin.

I am so sorry you are suffering.

Shingles is excruciating and you are experiencing a viremia circulating in your body. Therefore, you get the myalgia and joint pain, fever, headache, fatigue, weakness, chills, and sweating, just like a viral illness. Most physicians do not understand this concept. You can get the numbness and tingling sensation in dermatomes next to the dermatomes that contain the rash. Usually the pain and the other flulike symptoms precede the rash by up to 10 days to two weeks.

These viremia symptoms can linger for a month after the rash resolves. FYI.

Also, the Zoster rash can reoccur, and much more frequently than most physicians realize. Pease care for yourself and rest.

I get Herpes Zoster Oticus in my right ear every three to five weeks for the last 19 years. I am a nurse practitioner in the States and know this disease very well.

Please let me know how you do.

Best Regards.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you so much. These posts have helped me tremendously. I am on call tomorrow. I am a nurse in a busy ER. I am thinking I probably need a few more days to finish recovering. I truly have not been this wiped out since I had viral meningitis 4 years ago. They said this was the shingles virus then too. So this would be my 3rd time in 36 years of dealing with it. I wasn't trying to divulge my whole medical record on here but you all have been so kind to me with advice. Thank you again.
    • Posted

Hello

i just read your reply to Christine   I have shingles and am in terrible pain internally. Id it was just the exterior rash I would be fine   i dont have numbness   I have short and very surges of pain.  I just got out of bed and walked.  It seemed to relieve pain , not completely but more tolarable.   I see you are a nurse in the states.  I have made three visits to an urgent care cause i really didnt have a primary anymore   When i had to convince my last primary that it was amole on my body and not a tick i was done. Good dr a while ago but is quiet old now.    I am in central New Jersey.  do you know any good drs or have any suggestions for relieve   I am taking valcocyvor. Dont know if that is spelled correctly.  I have muscle relaxers that was given on the second dr visit because he said pulled muscles.  I had a rash at the time but it was just a tiny bit of red on my bikini line i blew off as from shaving   Some short days after that it was more.  I have surges of pain in my head sometimes stomach mid back all the way down my hamstrings.  I would appreciate any advice thank you

• Posted

Nancy,

Let me call my twin who lives in NJ. Which town do you live in Jersey?

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you.  i live in Brick Nj Ocean County or Monmouth is good 
    • Posted

Merry

I first got the shingles rash early February of this year, the rash went away mid March but I am experiencing pins and needles and mild burning sensation on the area where the rash was located left buttocks lower back and also on my legs, feet, upper back and arms. These sensations comes and goes. When I walk or do something physical it goes away, weird thing is when I sleep I don’t have any of these sensations. I did take a ten day course of Cipro in March so I don’t know if my neuropathy is shingles related or Cipro related. Any feedback would be much appreciated. 

• Posted

Matt,

I am distressed to hear you are experiencing pins and needles sensation, not only in the shingles area of distribution, but a more generalized are of distribution.

While I certainly cannot diagnose you, I would say the pins and needles and burning occurring in your former Herpes Zoster-Shingles site is Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN.

How much Cipro dosage, frequency, duration, did you take, and for what diagnosis? Are you healthy, otherwise? Do you have any collagen or autoimmune diseases? What is your age? Are you on any other medication?

If you prefer to respond privately, hit the envelope at the top!

Cipro can certainly cause generalized peripheral neuropathy.

I would see a neurologist, ASAP, for treatment of the Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN, and evaluation of the peripheral neuropathy.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.