Went to the emergency room with excruciating pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I went to the emergency room on Monday because I woke up with severe pain in my back that radiated to the front, with sweating and naseua.  This has happened to me 5 or 6 times before and my doctor told me the next time, I needed to go to the er.  The last time I had this issue was 2 years ago and was sent for a variety of tests to rule out a cardiac issue and that is what happened this time.  No cardiac issue but cannot find the reason for the pain.  It last only 20-30 minutes but is so severe I cannot move.  I am wondering if this could be from the ovarian cyst I have.  They did an abdominal cat scan on only said they found a cyst in my kidney and a calcified aneurysm in splenic artery.  I don't know if it would have shown the cyst or if I still have the cyst.  I'm suppost to get an ultrasound in a few weeks to check it out.  I guess what I want to know is if anyone has experienced this kind o pain with a ovarian cyst and has it only lasted about a half hour?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

The pain I've had has generally been a dull ache around ovulation. The worst pain when I was admitted to hospital was a mix of sharp, cramping, dull aches almost like period pain but lower left pelvis (where the cyst is), but I think i also had a kidney stone which caused the most pain (I had blood in my urine and the pain went the next day) but my pain lasted from 6 am till around 9 am the next day, so a very long time really but again could have been the kidney stones. I haven't had my surgery yet and I don't really get pain as such just the occassional uncomfortable weird feeling and pressure/tugging, especially after a long day at work. By the way my cyst is a 10cm dermoid. Hope this helps. 
    • Posted

Thank you Emily.  I get lots of pelvic pain off and on with what I assume is the cyst but I can never be sure.  They just weren't able to find anything at the hospital to say where this pain came from but at least I know it is not cardiac.  I hope your surgery goes well.  I have not discussed that with my doctor.  I am post menopause as well.
    • Posted

It's hard to know if the pain is the cyst because the sensation and pain is different for everyone. Some people don't even get pain but some get awful pain from smaller cysts. If you do still have the kidney cyst would they need to remove it? i am in my early 20s and really scared of the prospect of losing an ovary sad
    • Posted

Emily, I sure hope you don't need an ovary removed.  I am passed my child bearing years and have laready been through menopause so I would be just as happy to get rid of everything.  I need to see my pcp to find out if the kidney cyst has gotten bigger.  Unless it causes problems I don't think it will need to be removed.
    • Posted

I hope not, the consultant said they would try and keep it if there is any healthy ovarian tissue, but he seemed distant and dismissive so it hasn't made me feel very hopeful. I am glad you don't have to worry about having children or early menopause. Well that's positive that it shouldn't cause any more problems. 
    • Posted

Sounds like you need to find a new doctor that you trust.  Not very good if you don't have confidence in your doctor.
  • Posted

Hi landa I had a 7.5cm functional cyst on my ovary for the last 10 months. It started with irregular periods. They were coming more frequently. I had a scan at the end of October for something else and they found a large gallstone. I started getting pains under my ribs were my gallbladder was and in my back. Surgeon said once I started getting pain it was best to take the gallbladder out. Unfortunately they neglected to tell me about the cyst until after my gallbladder removal. At that stage it was smaller but 8 weeks after my operation I started vomiting and had horrendous nausea all the time. My periods were coming every 20 days. I also had diarrhea. I was in and out of hospital and they put everything down to side effects of the gallbladder removal. They then told me the cyst was 7.5cm and I saw a gynaecologist who said it was big and was going to operate until he spoke to my surgeon and as I'd had bowel surgery 20 years ago they said I was too high risk of ruoture. I asked if my symptoms could be from the cyst bad they didn't answer me. This continued until July nausea vomiting (like pregnancy symptoms) indigestion headaches breast tenderness and irregular periods. I got horrendous stabbing pains in the ovary in July that followed with awful labour like pains on and off for a few weeks. Amazingly the nausea and vomiting stopped and breast tenderness.I had a scan and they said the cyst has partially ruptured and was now 2.5 cm. Got my period few weeks later and on the last day of my period the stabbing pains and labour type pains started in my ovary again and the nausea and dry wretching for about a week. That was 3 weeks ago. The nausea is a lot better and no vomiting and the headaches are a lot better but am still getting period pains coming and going. I am waiting until my next period before I have another scan. My doctor is hopeful that the cyst may have finally fully ruptured but has advised me they it could take another cycle or two for everything to sort itself out. I now believe my gallbladder didn't need to be removed but it was the cyst causing all the problems. I have spoken to so many people that had all these symptoms too and were told it was IBS or pms and it turned out to be ovarian cysts. Some people get very few symptoms with cysts and some get a lot of symptoms. Also high estrogen is the main cause of cysts so detoxing your liver may help you. I took milk thistle for 8 weeks and am convinced it helped get rid of the cyst. I have never had a cyst before (that I know of) and hope to god I never have one again as it is a horrendous experience. I hope you get sorted soon. Take care xx
    • Posted

Wow, you certainly have had a time of it.  I had my gallbladder out 19 years ago they said I could still get stones in the bile duct.  The pain was very much like the pain with my gallbladder but was more severe and a much shorter period of time.  Nothing showed up on the cat scan.  I feel like a walking time bomb since these atacks happen so infrquently and are over by the time I make it to the er.  I sure hope your cyst issue resolves itself soon.  Good luck to you.
    • Posted

Landa it could be cysts rupturing. Sone people get what your describing and it stops like yours and are ok. Maybe your getting cysts and they are rupturing and then it stops and you get another one and it happens again. That's interesting you had your gallbladder removed too. I hope your gallbladder operation was a success and you've had no long term side effects. What is your doctor saying about your kidney cyst? Your ultrasound will give you a better idea of what's going on. I hope you get answers soon. Take care xx
    • Posted

Having the gall bladder out was the best thing I ever did.  Never had another attack and had a lap procedure which was very new 19 years ago.  I'm wondering if the cat scan I had even showed my ovaries or gall bladder.  I think they were more concerned about my heart because of my symptoms.  I a hoping to get more anwers after seeing my pcp.  Thanks for your input.
    • Posted

We haven't talked about the kidney cyst lately.  I know it showed on the cat scan so she will be able to let me know if it has changed at all from 2 years ago.
    • Posted

It's quite possible if the ct scan was of your heart they wouldn't have captured your ovaries or gallbladder area. I think the sooner you get the ultrasound the better. Am delighted to hear your gallbladder operation went well. It gives me hope. I think the cyst just made things a hell of a lot worse for me. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.