What are the side effects of esmya?

Posted , 15 users are following.

I am 38 years old and I have a 8-9 cm fibroids and I have been recommended by my doctor to use esmya to help shrink it. I am scared. Can anyone tell me what are the side effects?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. I used esmya last year and it really helped shrink my fibriods. Side effects vary from person to person. Essentially the time you are on it your body is probably mirroring symptoms similar to menopause. The esmya website has a lot of information. You may get all the side effects or none at all. I just felt really tired all the time so I guess I got off easy. 
    • Posted

Hi. I will definitely check out the website. That is good that you olnly had one side effect.Thank you...I truly appreciate..
  • Posted

we are same age and same fibroids. I have taken Esmya 3 times. For me, it works great, stops my bleeding, no bad effects and shrinks the fibs prior to surgery. Unfortunelty for me , they only shrink while i am on the Esmya and once i stop it they start growing back to the size they were.  So it really depends on what you want to achieve. 
  • Posted

u need to do a good research on that drug before you use it. some of those drugs are meant to do a temporary shrinking to prepare you for myomectomy after 3 months. i was placed on Zoladex for 6 months to shrink some fibriods in 2008 but the doctor did not tell me the side effect. first i was made to take it for 6 months instead of 3months. i was meant to have surgery afterwards but he did not give me these information. much later i decided to study and do a research on the drug and discovered that fibroids increase and trippled in size after a year because of the long use of the drug and because i did not remove the myoma after i stopped using the drug. it actually worsen the issue it was meant to solve. so please research on it and seek 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 10th opinion because at the end of it all it is your body and you alone suffer the consequenses of any choice you decide on.
    • Posted

Hi Ruth...thank you...I really appreciate your advised....Will be guided accordingly.
  • Posted

Hi Narcoil, I started Esmya a month ago. So far not bad; some nausia with certain food. But stopped animal products; so am ok now. I don't even fancy it. The new vegan system is helping me through. I am a lot less bloated, it looks like it shranked a bit. My stomach is smaller now, still not normal. But will see. Good luck. 
  • Posted

Esmya has worked well for me so I would recommend it, but obviously it does not remove the fibroids, so they will likely grow back again. It depends how bad your symptoms are, I had very heavy bleeding, back pain, sciatica etc. The side effects were not too bad, I took it at night so didn't notice tiredness, just menopausal symptoms. I am trying natural supplements and diet changes to see if I can prevent them growing back
  • Posted

I took Esyma over a a space  8 months (had 2 month break in between the 3 months treatment as you cannot take consectively).  The hardest bit is  the beginning as I got really bad headache which would not go away for the first week or so and the tiredness which you had to adjust to by factoring more rest time.  Once you passed this stage, its fine but you do got the headaches periodically.

I was very hesitant about taken Esyma as the pill never agree with me but I glad I did as the my fribroid has shrank from 8 cm to 4 cm.  I am now waiting to see how period is as my consultant how I get on with my period for 6 months before I see her. So far so good.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi....I wish to continued success in your treatment. Thanks for the advised.
  • Posted

My periods stopped for the 3 months! when i took esmya horrah, i had minor hot sweats, and a few headaches, small price to pay.  I was 45, now 48, i ended up with a failed myomectomy and ended up with UAE best thing i ever did, never looked back.  I realised what i had been putting up with and how it was all affecting my quality of life.
  • Posted

Hi, I had esmya prescirbed last year to prepare me for hysterectomy, i was 43 then and had huge fibroids and my cervix was prolapsing due the weight of my enlarged womb and my water works were serverally affected.  I only had one month of it and it was stopped due to the side affects i was having.  I had headaches and nausea with sickness, aching bones and muscles and felt very low in mood, the day i could not get change out of my purse as my fingers just were not working was the very last straw, i felt if i fell over i would break it was horrible.  This drug is after all the morning after pill in a high strength taken every day.  I have seen some women have reduction in size while using it and do not have to bad side effects, another reason it is prescribed as it is supposed to reduce bleeding during surgery.  Luckily i had minimal blood loss during surgery as the surgeon was a bit worried as i had not had the three months esyma, but i waited so long for surgery i would have had to have at least 2 rounds of 3 months and that was never going to happen with the side effects i had, my GP wa totally supportive of me stopping it, the gynos just prescribe it all the time now and i got fed up of having to explain the side effects, but as it's still fairly new and was not licensed for long tern use in the UK i think the side affects are something that time will tell and more data etc.  I would also say to women who have their fibroids sized by ultrasound they are not always acurate.  I had my last scans 6 weeks before surgery and was told i had one fibroid 8cm and 4 about 4-5cm they did not tell me the proper dimensions, the surgeon gave me the sizes as a grapefruit and 4 oranges, when i had surgery the largest weighed 4lbs and was the size of a melon and the others were grapefruit size, i had to have my womb divided into two and the largest firbroid came out with half of my womb and the others with the other half, i had to have open surgery when i wanted lap but they did manage to stay to my bikini line and divide my womb to save a vertical insion. My sister had the injection 1 shot lasts 3 months to help hers and supposedly stop her bleeding and it went worse and after not wanting any sugery had to have a hysterctomy she was becoming so anemic she was told she needed tranfusions, she did not want this either but as she had private healthcare she booked in and and had the surgery quick.  I would also say don't be scared but do a bit of research and give it a try, due to your age i would think and the size of your fibroids that esyme if it suits you can't be a long term med so you may want to look at what you can do to get rid ot the fibroids before they do to much damgae to your womb etc.
    • Posted

Hi Sharon...I truly appreciate your advised. I am sorry to hear about your situation. This will definitely help me in decision my opinion. Thank you and all the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.