What causes your flare-ups?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Ive notice time and time again, anytime I'm stressed out, exhausted or over worked my symptoms flare up and I mean all of them. The headaches, numbness in my face, feet, hands, pain in my neck and back. Racing heart thanks to SVT now, slurred speech, confusion.. the list goes on. My symptoms will last for days and wont stop until I stop. Lately I've been working a lot, I have a full time job and a part time jobs so I have NO days off and my body is going crazy!! I'm only working the part time jobs to help the facility out for a short time, I have yet to actually have a full drop attack but the rate I'm going, it feels like I will have one soon. Do you notice that different things cause your symptoms to flare-up too??

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

did u have a surgery to try to fix this?

• Posted

No, you have to Health insurance to have surgery. Which my job does not provide and right now I'm one of those lucky Americans who make to much money for assistant but yet i cant afford to buy my own insurance cause I live paycheck to paycheck some weeks. So I've been just waiting and its been 3 years now since my symptoms started. I do okay most of the time, unless like I said im over doing it.

• Edited

• Yes!!! My symptoms flare up when i am stressed, exhausted, or overly active, i can't even bend over without getting so light headed and dizzy, I always have a headache tho just most day's it's mild and tolerable, but when my symptoms flare up they are so severe i can't keep my eyes open, can't be around light. Sounds, the littlest movement or touch makes me vomit, That's not even to mention all the other symptoms like confusion, balance, speech, numbness in face, back, leg's, hands and feet, forgetfulness, nausea, and Pain, those are the main one's sometimes i have a few other that happen like when i would be walking my body would pull to the right or the left, that's around when i first got diagnosed with Chiari, i s told i needed a full body/back MRI but my doctor won't order it for me, because she says it's too much radiation, but i feel something is wrong, the numbness and tingling in my back are getting worse. I just wanted to reply and tell you that you are not alone. Try to keep yourself calm, ask your doctor about topamax it has really helped for me besides the numbness and tingling i have but with the headaches i haven't had a sever one in awhile, i an i always have a pressure headache but it is very mild compared to what i usually had 5 days out of a week.....Good Luck!!!
    • Posted

I am on topamax, ive been on it almost 2 years now. I'm also on Metoprolol ER for my SVT and i have a muscle relaxer i take at night for my neck and back pain. I think the medicine is the only reason I've made it this far.

• Posted

I dont think MRI's emit harmful radiation, you may want to double check that online and with your doctor. i think u can get as may mri's as you need. i got like 4 within 2 months

• Posted

I am also on Topamax for my headaches, Gabapentin for pain and i have to agree if it wasn't for the medication i don't think i would've made it this far, i still have bad day's where i am so weak, tired, dizzy, and in so much pain, and nothing i take helps, If I didn't have my fiance i don't know where i would be, he is a huge support. Hope everything works out for you!

• Posted

oh boy. I know this is an old thread, but for anyone else who stumbles upon this--MRIs do not use radiation!! They use magnetic resonance ; xray, CT, and PET use radiation; if your provider tells you MRI = radiation, get a new provider STAT because they should not be diagnosing, prescribing, managing anyone's health!! As a provider, this is beyond alarming to read!

• Edited

Most major syndromes and illnesses can be linked to inflamation...including Chiari. When we put my daugher on a low sugar and gluten free diet for ashtma, I went on said diet also for empathy so she would feel she was not the only missing out on foods normally used to eat. Well, this diet is anti-inflammatory and did wonders for my Chiari symptoms...because it helped reduce inflammation and helped reduce cortisol levels linked to wheat and sugar intake. Miracle for her, greatly helped me. Also, I had Chiari decompression surgery and it did nothibng for me...like for most. But, then I had filum terminal dissectum surgery...which is basically a 2 inch incsion abover your intergluteal cleft (butt crack) and it got me out of bed and living living live wonderfully. Research said dissectum surgery. Gets rid of the cause of Chiari for most who have the surgery, unlike decompression surgery which is a tempoaray bandaid. God Bless and know that HOPE can be found, and you do not need to live the rest of your life with the symptoms.

• Edited

hello. i get nasty flare ups when the weather changes. when it rains, oh my. I did have decompression surgery in 2016 which has done nothing for me. in fact now, even more symptoms have shown up. the pain in the base of my skull is like a stake driven in, severe neck/shoulder pain. my hands are numb, tingling, shaky. I have what my doc is calling a "dead foot" on the right side. my face droops a little on the right side during these flare ups. my lower back just throbs all the time now. forget bending over to stretch it out, otherwise the dizzy spells increase. i tend to veer off to the right while trying to walk. also something strange... sitting is becoming an issue. My tail bone starts to hurt unbarable, almost like im sitting directly on that bone....does anyone else have this? im 51 yrs old, have no quality of life. im missing out on so much, im ready to give up. No one understands because i look just fine. i had an incredible support system, but now, it is starting to weigh on my marriage and family. i was denied disability, no way i can hold down a job, i have more down days then i have functional days. the constant headache is bad enough w/o extra flare ups. I am so glad i came across this discussion and seeing i am not alone. God Bless you all. i didnt mean to rant, just so tired of "NOT" really living.

• Posted

so sorry. i didnt mean to just reply to one, i meant this as joining the discussion 路 i will try to fix that.

• Posted

I am newly diagnosed and new to this forum, but I hope you are doing okay I feel for you...this has all hit me very quickly although looking back I see how long I've had symptoms but had no idea what was really going on with me

• Posted

make sure you dont give up on disability

everyone gets denied the first time . usually you will need a lawyer to get you approved.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing, just been diagnosed with it and that's what I've noticed, daily headaches all the way down to my neck and shoulders and numbness on my hands. Also struggle with my fine motor so I am always dropping things and sometimes it affects my walking where I fell down the stairs at one point, also, with memory issue.I did notice that under stressful situation or environment symptoms gets so severe. I am grateful that I've found this discussion, some people think I am only faking but it's good to know others who have somewhat similar symptoms.

• Posted

First off I feel for you Nissa It sucks that your hurting and I hope it gets better for you.

Secondly quit killing yourself for your job/career choices. It's not worth it your health is really all that should matter to you. It's a lesson that I have had to learn as well. You are not responsible for the company you work at failure to adequately staff itself. I don't know if your from the states like me or the UK as they are different work culturally as well as work rules and law wise, but I know the feeling of shame and remorse from leaving your co-workers farther in a lurch than they already are. In the end though it's not you or your chiari that is the problem remember that, and if your in the states and they want to make it a issue or hard on you make sure to get FMLA and use it as you need.

lastly, yes! My symptoms start for a multiple of reasons like stress laying down with my neck in a incorrect position, working out over excessively, barometric pressure shifts, to silly things like standing in front of a forced air heater vent when its blowing hot air.

Again take care of yourself and I'm rooting for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.