What do you believe caused your acalaysa ??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, everyone I am convinced I have acalaysa , I have not been formally diagnosed yet, but I am going for a barium sallow test this week which would be the first step in getting a dianoise I guess. For me I never had any issues or symtoms of acalyasa until after I had surgery in which it is believed I was injured from the intubation. I was wondering how many others know or can link any specific cause or event to their acalaysa symptoms . Thanks so much for your replies.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hello I have recently been diagnosed with Type 2 achalasia after suffering for over 10 years. in 2009 I had a partial thyroid removal surgery which was when I really started to notice that I was having more and more trouble swallowing. Approximately 3 days ago I underwent a poem procedure which is an endoscopic version of the laparoscopic Heller myotomy which is one of the ways to repair and alleviate the symptoms even though there is no cure. of course I was told that there is no definite diagnosis of what truly causes achalasia and that there are three different types I personally have type 2 achalasia which they say responds best to surgery type3 not so much in type 1 can be relieved with even just a balloon dilation periodically through life. I am still having severe soreness and also TMJ. I am on a liquid diet for approximately one week but I should resolve normal eating functions within the month I will keep you posted. it was a relatively quick procedure approximately 2 hours and they say recovery time is much shorter than a laparoscopic Heller myotomy recovery time both options are equally fine and it really depends on what part of the world you're in and if you have a doctor that's knowledgeable I had my procedure done at Mass General Hospital in Boston Massachusetts.best of luck to you I have to say my achalasia adventures have been fairly atrocious and I do not wish my situation on you
    • Posted

Wow, I am sorry to hear all the years you suffered unbelievable , I have done research on the poem procedure and believe that is the only choice for me if it comes done to it. I live in the south and am aware I will have to travel to the north east part of the United states but I am welling . Did you take a muscle relaxer for your TMJ? I hope you feel better, and thank you so much for sharing your story with me . This experience has been rough I hope I can get my answer soon. As you know the toll that it takes on your body is unbelievable. My prayers go out to you and wishing you a speedy recovery .
    • Posted

thank you for your kind words I am a very patient person I have lost a substantial amount of weight over the years and it is a progressive disease in which case it was at a point where I was no longer able to intake solids or liquids so it was time to choose a procedure. I strongly suggest Massachusetts General Hospital if you are going to come up north.they are very familiar with achalasia I had Dr Ozanan Meireles as well as dr. David Rattner. They are amazing. I was prescribed oxycodone in addition to Anti nausea medicine and was told that tylenol would do the rest. I respectfully disagree tylenol does not solve the problem and I am having with my jaw. I am a very small person (100 lbs) so I didn't have a lot of space to work with it being a complete endoscopic procedure was not to my advantage but it will be in recovery time. I am at a learning curve I have to say I do struggle with the pain I will figure it out I'm actually calling the doctor tomorrow on Monday. I strongly suggest that you address this issue as soon as possible so that you can resume a normal lifestyle. all my best
    • Posted

I am at that point , already unable to eat without pain my regure is bad . I am also small 103lbs too. I have not been able to eat solid food for a month. I appreciate all your shared knowledge. I am going to make sure I get this taken care of as soon as possible .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.