What is the reluctance/resistance to retrograde ejaculation?

Posted , 4 users are following.

R.E. seems to be a concern of some of the posts here.

I am just curious as to what the issue with having RE is, relative to "Having RE vs living with BPH and any/all of the associated issues.

If anyone is willing to share their opinion.

(I am not trying to push an agenda, or justify a particular point of view.)

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I only have my FloMax retrograde ejaculation experience to feed from. Since I take FloMax on an as needed basis, I occasionally forget that I took it. The times which I had forgotten, and had sex, have been very anti-climatic and disappointing. It's so bad that I will not go near my wife, sexually, if I have taken FloMax.

Somewhere in my research I believe someone said the RE after a surgical procedure felt different/better than RE while on FloMax. Since I've only run across 1 instance of this, I posed the question , "Orgasm Flomax vs post op?" to see what other have experienced.

• Posted

Flomax is a drug that relaxes the prostate and baldder neck. So if your prostate ,(being a pump for semen), is relaxed it will not pump as well, thus a less pleasurable experience.

• Posted

Thanks, good information to know.

I have surgical consult next month. HoLep or Aquablation look like my best options. The surgeon has multiple year experience with HoLep, which is the way i'm Leaning. Its supposed to be a 1 and done procedure, no future procedures.

The Aquablation has mixed reviews on longevity and the RE successes, plus the recovery for me could be rough. I'm on daily blood thinners for a heart valve.

• Posted

Definitions: are the following definitions accurate?

Ejaculation preserving:

Accomplished by leaving the tissue 1-2 cm from the Verumontanum (ejaculation ducts) and external sphincter untouched.

Retrograde Ejaculation:

Occurs when the bladder neck and/or bladder sphincter is damaged/operated on, thus compromising the neck or sphincter from their ability to function as they did pre-op. Fluid thus flows the path of least resistance, which is into the bladder.

• Posted

It is interesting to read how common the concern is about RE on this forum. Understandable, since ejaculation is so closely linked to sexual satisfaction ... at least psychologically.

I had a TURP about 18 months ago, and RE is an outcome. I am very sexually active, 60 yrs old, and very fit. Gym 5 x per week. Work executive job fill time. Couple of thoughts:

It is totally worth having the TURP. I didn't realize how much energy I spent organizing my time to manage access to toilets. Now I sleep through the night. I can drive without watching for the next highway exit to stop to pee. Life changing for me.

My orgasms now are almost the same as previous. Sensation is almost exactly the same. Intensity same. Same sense of sexual satisfaction.

I live in a state where cannabis is legal. A gummy makes my orgasm even more intense - like amazingly fabulous.

A lot of us guys get a sense of accomplishment by cumming and assessing the volume of ejaculate. Almost like the satisfaction of the orgasm is linked to the strength of semen stream and if it still shoots far.

For me, I have needed to recalibrate that. This is the psychological aspect of the change. I totally enjoy the sensations of orgasm as I did before TURP. No clean up needed - whether it is masturbating or with a partner. That's an upside sometimes!

I've had Flowmax and other medications that also caused RE. It's better with TURP.

• Posted

It is interesting to read how common the concern is about RE on this forum. Understandable, since ejaculation is so closely linked to sexual satisfaction ... at least psychologically.

I had a TURP about 18 months ago, and RE is an outcome. I am very sexually active, 60 yrs old, and very fit. Gym 5 x per week. Work executive job fill time. Couple of thoughts:

It is totally worth having the TURP. I didn't realize how much energy I spent organizing my time to manage access to toilets. Now I sleep through the night. I can drive without watching for the next highway exit to stop to pee. Life changing for me.

My orgasms now are almost the same as previous. Sensation is almost exactly the same. Intensity same. Same sense of sexual satisfaction.

I live in a state where cannabis is legal. A gummy makes my orgasm even more intense - like amazingly fabulous.

A lot of us guys get a sense of accomplishment by cumming and assessing the volume of ejaculate. Almost like the satisfaction of the orgasm is linked to the strength of semen stream and if it still shoots far.

For me, I have needed to recalibrate that. This is the psychological aspect of the change. I totally enjoy the sensations of orgasm as I did before TURP. No clean up needed - whether it is masturbating or with a partner. That's an upside sometimes!

I've had Flowmax and other medications that also caused RE. It's better with TURP.

• Edited

In my surgical consult, I talked about Flomax with the surgeon. I told him, my only experience with retrograde was with Flomax. I stated that I stay away from my wife anytime I'm on Flomax because the orgasms are so bad. He confirmed what I suspected , flowmax affects most if not all the smooth muscle in that area. which in turn significantly reduces your orgasm satisfaction.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.