What's contributed to us being sick?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Some people say that if we find out what made us ill in the first place we can eliminate those things and have a better chance of getting well.

One thing that may have contributed to my having ME/CFS is that I lived in a flat that was old, damp and mouldy. The landlord didn't maintain the building very well. The water contained slime when I saw it in a water filter so I think sick building syndrome may be one of the triggers of my ME. I've since moved to healthier surroundings and have had some improvements in certain symptoms.

There are other things that I suspect too. What do you think may have contributed to your illness?

3 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello GeorgiaS.. Glad you are in a better place now, your previous flat sounded dreadful.

My illness was contributed from when I worked as a Care Assistant 20 years ago. I used to work 3 nights a week, on 15 hour shifts on my own in charge of 11 Residents. I were assisting an elderly gent up the stairs one evening and he slipped on the treads, 4 from the top. I had no choice, as I were on my own to struggle and lift him up to the landing and lean him against the wall so that he was safer. I then had to run through the building to the Owners house next door, to get him to come and help the man into a wheelchair. At that time I were so concerned of his safety, I did not notice the pain I were in till later in the night. As the night went on, the pain got worse and worse. Next morning I went to Dr and got sent immediatly to the local hospital for a cortizone injection in my back. Phew, it was a relief at the time, but eversince then I have suffered and tht, I am sure is where my Fibro stemmed from. Have a good daybiggrin

• Posted

Thanks for sharing Annie, It's shocking that you had to deal with 11 residents on your own! I hope that's not allowed today, though changes in the health care system can't help you now.

I feel that you should have had some compensation. Your story is harsh and I expect that many more people in the situation you were in have paid the price in one way or another.

I like the way you said 'Have a good day' biggrin

I can read between the lines and that's how I feel much of the time! lol

• Posted

i think mine went over into fibro from being Aspergers ,after having so much stress,in life , Aspergers have a hightned senses .but normaly cause litle problem and are often more of a help . if aspergers also comes untreatable depression because its is caused by the way our brain is wired and not by a chemicle in balance

, so add in high stress levals for most of my life and you can see how it can over spill ,as the cause of fibro is also in the brain .

• Posted

Though I don't know anything about Aspergers and not much about Fibro I know something about you and how much you have to bear and that your daily struggle is extremely rough like mine!

You're raised an interesting point about depression; it being the ways our brains are wired and not a chemical imbalance. I don't think antidepressants would do me any good because my depression is a result of being so ill!

Yet so many doctors try to prescribe antidepressants to people with ME, even today! They tried to push them on me but I wasn't having any of it!

• Posted

In trying to get better I think that an obstacle is in the foods we eat; as in meat pumped full of antibiotics and genetically modified foods etc. It costs a fortune to buy organic foods and though I include them in my diet it's almost impossible to buy all organic and GM free because I just don't have the money for it! eek
    • Posted

i know its terriable mine field 

they said that adding animal cells to plant cells is safe to humans

well they would wouldnt they if theres money to be made

this is not true it is not broken and dispersed by the body its been 

proved inmany studies that it remains in the body and starts to cause all sorts of problems .

• Posted

with our imune system , thank god gm foods have to be labeled in the uk

did you know that our brains are made up with mostly omega 3 

which is good for our brains and also several studies have noticed people with love omega 3 in there brains are more likely to devlope alzemers 

omega 6 is very dangerous in large amounts as its added to many things and in vegatable oils we are have far to much in our bodies which increases our risk of heart disease ,yet you still can buy omega 6 supplements. 

• Posted

Yeah chuck us some pills to keep us quiet and the pharmaceutical companies rich! eek No thank! I'd rather take herbs; supplements and eat the best, untampered with foods I can afford, at least they're beneficial to my health.
    • Posted

the eskimos sorry i cant buy indig the proper word for eskimo

the tradiontal ones who eat mostly whale meat and blubber

have high levals of omega 3 and no omega 6 

have no heart disease and generaly healthy people 

but since the scabbie  US finger of greed HAS corupetd

them and the younger ones are eating a western diet 

they have increasing obesity and heart problems 

• Posted

You know the old saying 'We are what we eat', if they keep tampering with our foods what on earth are we going to end up being? Extremely sick, all of us, is what I think.

They're building their tower of babel far too high. Who do they think they are? We're born, we have a right to eat healthy food that the planet provides but no, the invisible rich decide for us!

Fauna and flora are far too complex to mess with.

• Posted

Yes I've seen documentaries; there are no safe havens left on the planet.
    • Posted

We wouldn't need supplements if the food we bought was natural and healthy.
    • Posted

you have to buy the gm seeds from the same people who supply the weed killer , money money because its the only weed killer that works because the grain has been altered . 

its all about money plain and simple 

• Posted

no your right my gran and her mother didnt need supplements except there bottle of stout for iron becasue meat was expensive and the rule was you fed you man first and your kids next the women mostly ended up with the gravy and the veg so were more often than not anemic which stout put right 
    • Posted

When I was pregnant my mum told me to drink velvet stout! I didn't know why but it must've been for the iron.
    • Posted

it would have been tasty nasty though,never heard of that brand
    • Posted

It was ok, I sort of liked it because it was good for me but not the taste so much. I think mum learnt some things from grandma but I don't think she remembered why it's good for pregnant women. Grandma probably told her to have some when she was pregnant with me.

So much herbal and food knowledge, old wives tales etc were lost and I think it's amazing that we're learning about them again! razz

• Posted

stout guisness being the best known one is full of iron which is a fact 

thats why it was good for women in the past when they very much went with out meat . 

and esp good for preganant women making lots of milk for the baby as well so iv heard tell . 

• Posted

Iron makes milk; new one on me but it makes sense seeing as iron is so important. Kudos! razz
    • Posted

well i think its more about milk production  and nutrition during war time it was recommended by doctors for pregnant women to keep them healthy 

and by keeping them healthy made sure they produced enough milk 

to feed there babies ,remember back then everything was on ration even baby milk . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.