What's contributed to us being sick?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Some people say that if we find out what made us ill in the first place we can eliminate those things and have a better chance of getting well.

One thing that may have contributed to my having ME/CFS is that I lived in a flat that was old, damp and mouldy. The landlord didn't maintain the building very well. The water contained slime when I saw it in a water filter so I think sick building syndrome may be one of the triggers of my ME. I've since moved to healthier surroundings and have had some improvements in certain symptoms.

There are other things that I suspect too. What do you think may have contributed to your illness?

3 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

What happens when you have ME plus someting else that can be diagnosed by Xray and confirmed by byopsy but is not causing the symptoms complained of.

10 years of 22mg Prednisilone (a steroid)

Plus varous strong pills to counteract side effects and provide more

Side effects for treatment.

A week in hospital to check kidneys

probable causes:-

plus Lindain wood treatment (since banned)

plus down wind of huge Petro Chemical complex

plus down wind toxic waste recycling plant (closed after years of protests)

the above seriously agrevated by Prednisolone.

basic medical rules broken

1. If it does harm stop it

2. If it does no good stop it

enough to be going on with, I think.

became alergic to almost everything under the sun.

• Posted

You reminded me of one of the things that I think contributed to my ME, steroids!

I had skin itching so badly that I'd scratch my legs until they bled and instead of giving me antihiatamines, which I have to take now, I was put on steroids. It wasn't too long after I stopped taking them (because they didn't feel right to me) that I got ME!

• Posted

Steroids gave you ME. No wonder they did not cure me.
    • Posted

I don't know for sure what gave me ME but I took steroids for a while before I got it and I've heard of other people with ME saying they took them too. *shock*
    • Posted

Most diseases like fibro, lupus, sarcoidosis, sjogrens and on and on is caused by a compromised immune system.  I believe my illness', sarcoidosis and sjogrens was brought about after the auto accident.  I was up sometimes all night many nights in severe pain.  I had many surgeries that first year after the accident and that depleted my immune system.  When your immune system is down, whatever wants to attack, it can and can cause major damage.  I'm sure you know this but, all of us carry sarcoidosis, fibro, lupus, sjogrens and on.  The diseases are in a dormant state.  

Isn't is scary that we carry all kinds of stuff.  Just one slip up and "pandora's box" opens.

be well, my friends

Frustrated

• Posted

Crikey! You've realy opened my eyes with that info, I had no idea. I knew that we all have Candida albicans and that they're good for us in a small amount, but that when our immune systems become compromised they can get out of control becuase I suffer from Candida pretty badly, but I didn't realise that there are a lot more things involved. eek Scary stuff!
    • Posted

Hummm they're moderating my reply because I mentioned a common thing that lots of us have. I contacted them to ask why. rolleyes
    • Posted

That is scary. No wonder it is so difficult to recover from ME, CFS, SJOGRENS  and the rest and probably more. If we do not treat the underlying problem what chance is there of dealing with the overt problem. It is  so difficult to stuff problems back into Pandora's box.   Indeed the Greeks thought it impossible.  I am surprised how many people do not know that opening Pandora's box is as bad news as you can get. I had a boss  who was adamant that his new pet system should be called Pandora.  Nothing would shake his resolve and the system came to nothing. He may have thought Pandora meant gift to all the world.
    • Posted

did they test your liver constant itching could mean liver problems 

maybe your liver was under stress .as your liver is your main organ for cleaning the body after the kidneys have filtered it 

maybe your body just couldnt cope with the steriods. 

i get so cross with doctors they bang down such hard core medincines with out giving it a thought ,as you and i know  itching along with other things like lack of sleep dizziness etc are signs from the body that theres something wrong

.but doctors so often just write out a perscription witout listening or even checking you out iv known people go to the doctors and come out with excema cream for itching and the doctor hasnt even looked at it so god knows what esle they prescribe with out checking people first .

• Posted

Yes they seem to have a one size fits all philosophy! rolleyes

A doctor tested me for everything and said my liver was fine but a naturopath in Harley St (when I went to have my silver/mercury fillings out) said it wasn't alright soon afterwards. He tested me with a vega machine for mercury poisoning levels, candida etc.

I assume that the liver has a difficult job with metals like mercury in the body and my mercury levels were very high. He said that the doctors range of what's deemed alright isn't wide enough.

• Posted

i agree with your naturopath .so sick of hearing its border line.

and did you know that theres no set marker for tests 

in one county a test can  be marked ok but another county would say needs more investagation.

• Posted

It's ridiculous, the doctor's test found that the only thing wrong was that I had low sodium levels, but another doctors tests (the doc I have now) found that I have a high white blood cell count, which is really important to ME. Why didn't the first test discover that? 

It's so haphazzard, even between different doctor's surgeries. frown

I think my high white blood cell count is why I have the skin itching, rather than it being my liver. 

• Posted

The naturopath said it was borderline; the doctor said it was absolutely tickety boo! lol Why do we trust these people? Well I don't anymore.
    • Posted

but you could also say that maybe your liver isent right so you have low white cells , its all a jumble and the people who are supposed to sort it out 

dont , 

iv answered that questionabout one doctor saying one thing and another saying something differant theres no set data for what is normal in blood test it veries from area to area and doctor to doctor 

• Posted

worries me that when the doctor said she would print of my medical history that she had to deleat some stuff before she could do so 

i thought that you were entitled to see your records in full .

talk about little f---ing hitlers they could say anything about you and you cant defend yourself really upsets me what power they have

• Posted

Gawd that's shocking! It about you so why shouldn't you see it all. Makes me seeth. Is it true that we can pay money to see our whole records?

This is the problem, healing has turned into medicine and it's about them earning money, rather than caring and healing.

If that was me I'd really push to find out what she didn't want you to see! It might give you a clue in finding out how to get better. 

• Posted

Of all the things that are wrong in my body, what came first, which clues point to which symptoms etc, etc, how am I supposed to know, it makes me head spin!

If I had enough money I'd see a naturopath but I don't! Getting the fillings out was kindly done for me by a mercury free dentist for free, and the naturopath came with that.

• Posted

bit of luck there then hun. 

i know its such a tangled web i think until western doctors 

take on board eatern medincine pholosphy we will just keep

getting ill , because as you no if you take a hammer to a crack a nut 

you get a shattered mess everywhere .crack it with some crackers 

you get a precise break . i think that makes sense . 

i think we should all have the right on the nhs to see a natruaopath if want 

to instead of a gp .oh but wait a minute then we would have less sick people for them to push meds on and the drug companys would loose money .

• Posted

i dont no for sure but i think you do have full acess to your medical file 

but proberly need someone esle a bit more in the know to tell us for sure 

• Posted

Kudos and big thumbs up to that! razz And hahaha on your summary, sad but I like your sarcasm. Sarcasm, in my opinion is vastly underrated as a form of wit! lol

I just found out that you're perfectly entitled to see your medical records. I'm going to email you what I found. I think I'll ask to see mine too, there may be some clues in it that I've been missing. cheesygrin

• Posted

thanks georgia yes i would like the info i would love to get hold of mine

but i suppose it will be destressing because of the stuff they write about you

• Posted

I've emailed the info. I'm so glad you brought this up because there must be a wealth of information in our records and we have the time to work on and research things that may be significant to our conditions while they don't have the time or inclination! 

Plus it's a record of which order symptoms etc happened in, and reminders of symptoms that I could never access from my brain alone! lol

• Posted

And it's a record of the drugs we were given and when they were given!!!!! Some of which may have caused us harm.
    • Posted

my list will be very short then 

we just had a large down pour of hail stones

• Posted

Stranger and stranger, said Alice! I don't know what the weather's doing here because it keeps changing it's mind.

My list will be the usual things like antibiotics but also the steriods, the pill when I was younger and we're handed out so many things we may have forgotten some of them and timing's important surely?

• Posted

you never know. hows your teeth by the way did you get it sorted
    • Posted

Not yet but I look after them with Myrrh and Grapefruit Seed Extract as you know so they're doing quite well.

My bike battery's charged; I just need to charge my battery so I can go out. I wonder if I can plug myself into my bike!!!!! eek

• Posted

just a thougth if you drink a fruit juice, drink it thru a staw less impact on your teeth with the acid 
    • Posted

Thanks! I eat fruit though; I don't drink fruit juice. I just regularly swill with GSE and Myrrh. Kills the bacteria that live off the fruit juice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.