What to do during Supraventricular Tachycardic Arrythmia?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, about once a year or so I get a terrifying arrythmia where my heart rate suddenly jumps up above 200 and I obviously feel like I'm about to die. I've had a ton of exams done and they've never caught the arrythmia on an event monitor due to its frequency, and I've been screened for physical heart deformities. Long story short doctor deemed the arrythmia non-life threatening and sent me on my way. 

My question is, what should I actually do during an arrythmia? When I feel my heart suddenly start beating extremely rapidly and weakly, what should I do? I play paintball and am worried about it happening on a paintball field. 

If it happens should I take the time to walk to a saef place then lay down? Or should I start laying down where I am even if its on a paintball field or hiking spot or something? When should I decide to call emergency services? My arrythmia, though rapid, has always been regular-pace beats, sometimes my vision goes black along the edges but usually I feel no symptoms other than the palpitations. 

Thanks. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I use to get attacks of SVT (before I had them cured with an ablation) and I always carried an alka seltzer with a little water.  Take at least one tablet and walk around til you belch and it works great.

• Posted

Thanks, were your symtpoms similar to mine, sudden rapid and weak heartbeat nearing 200 or surpassing it? I guess that's what SVT is but just making sure. 
  • Posted

Oh yes, my heart rate would be 230 sometimes. The ablation gave my life back to me and I would consider if it keeps happening. They are really scary those SVT attacks.
    • Posted

Well from what I understand they need a recording of the event before they can do an ablation. Because they need to know exactly what kind of SVT it is. Unfortunately since mine is once or twice a year only they aren't too confident about the ability of an event monitor to catch it. 

I'd be so happy if I could get an ablation though. It would be so nice to be able to ski and hike and rock climb in remote places again without fear. 

• Posted

I am currently suffering these symtoms . What is an eblation?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.