When to have haemorrhoids banded?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have stage 3 haemorrhoids that aren't giving me problems but wondering if I should have them banded before they get worse and banding might no longer be an option?  I've read wide ranges of experiences with banding which is giving me pause, even though I had a couple of haemorrhoids banded years ago without major issues.  Thks! 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Well strong advise from me do jot have them done if they are not bothering you. I had them done 3 times the last was August 2016. This was 4 stage 4 and was told by my surgeon that he would not band them a 4th time. Next would be an haemorroidectomy!!! He said every time you have it done it works less and less. Never had trouble with banding easy pezzy.,so I agreed to have them done again simply because there were bothering me or I would not have had it done. Unfortunately this 3 rd banding did not work and I ended up with an Haemorrhoidectomy on 24 th November 2016. I am now perfect. Regretted having this done as it was so painful, but 2 weeks after the op began to improve, no regrets at all now it is just wonderful.

in total I must have suffered around 20 years... Injections, creams, bandings, and finally an haemorrhoidectomy. Good luck hope this info helps best wishes

• Posted

Adam leave them alone if they are not bothering you. They can only be 

banded so many times then it is an haemorrhoidectomy. My 3rd time last Aug did not work and had to have an haemorrhoidectomy in November. 2016 .Over it now and feel just fantastic after 2o years of problems in that area. Hope you get on OK. Cheers June 

• Posted

Hi June,

Thanks for the reply and I didn't know that banding becomes less effective the more times it is done.  I still am worried though that if I don't have them banded now when they are stage 3 that they may progress to stage 4 and I won't be able to have them banded and surgery will be the only option.

• Posted

Well Adam , why look for trouble when banding is so easy. My advice is leave alone if they do not bother you much right now. Or....! Have them banded only if they are really bothering you. Look at it this way Adam. You cannot win when you have haemorroids they will never go on their own, they are not obliging in this way. I asked my surgeon what should I do because my 2 previous banding lasted 2/3 years or more than that . He said to me that he was willing to band them one more time, so last August I went for it but it did not work and in Nov 2016 I had an haemorroidectomy. So these are the facts... banding will not last and if they are ok 👌 why don't you just leave them alone??? Think it all out Adam perhaps have a chat with your surgeon that could help with decision making. 👍👍👍👍June

• Posted

heard hemmoroid surgery was horrible - this came from doctor.  did banding.  I was in such pain after one banding that eventually had to sedate me (4 wks later) to see what was going on.  I now had 2 fissures which had never been diagnosed before binding even by another doctor a few days before this doctor did banding.  So - my suggestion is don't don't don't do anything - live with the hemorroids.  I had for many years and a little prep H fixed the problem.  Had some heavier bleeding frrom hemroid that I was not used to and that is where the nightmare began.  My GI doctor said go get hemroids fixed.  I did.  I wish I had never set foot into colon doctor's office.   6 wks out from hemmoroid surgery - waitiing to feel normal again.

• Posted

I just had one banded last week. They only do one at a time to avoid pain. It was supposed to be a breeze. Some people go right back to work. I can't decide if i'm happy or not. IT REALLY HURT, whereas my hemorroids are annoying, they didn't bleed they just popped out - they are internal - so I popped them back in. Now the ones left hurt so much more. I have spent the week watching TV on my bed. I'm taking Advil and that helps ALOT. I am having them all banded. I want them gone! I think mine are also emotionally loaded because as I look back I can remember when they were the worst and it usually has to do with visiting my family or when my dog died 6 years ago. It's rough. Banding should be a breeze but not for me. OUCH!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.