When to stop tapering and go cold turkey?

Posted , 6 users are following.

When you are tapering off Benzos, when do you say enough is enough and stop completely, ie (with Diazepam) is it 2mg, 1mg 0.5mg?

It feels like I have been trying to get off these things forever.  Now even the smallest amounts cause insomnia mood swings and anxiety.  I am down to 2.75mg from 15.  I am doing water titration and am coming down at 0.006mg per day (2mg dry and toss 2ml/100ml from 1mg suspension) and still feeling pretty bad even though that’s less than 10% per fortnight. 

I am thinking of taking 10 days off work, and going cold turkey on that (relatively) small amount (2.75mg), but don’t want any seizures or anything

Any advice would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You won't get seizures at that small dose, but you might get withdrawal symtoms/

How long have you ben tapering from the 15mg?

Finally DON'T go cold turkey on the last bit - you'll end up back where you started. I know it's a small dose, Richard, but the tapering has to be done correctly (i.e. very slowly) and stuck to until the bitter end.

It's taken me ten months to get from 30mg down to 8mg, and this was supervised by an expert doctor.

Ask me anything else if you think I can help.

Tess.

• Posted

Hi Tess,  In relation to the tapering question, I was prescribed Lorazepam 1 mg a long time ago and was advised to "take as needed"  I do believe I have become dependant on them and I only now, in an attempt to stop taking them, have cut them into quarters (as best I can) sometimes it alleviates my anxiety and sometimes I have to take another quarter during the day. I go a couple of days without sometimes, but I seem to be always having to take it. I would really appreciate some advice here as I want to stop altogether. I also take Zolpidem to help me sleep (years on this). 

• Posted

I'm on night shifts at the moment but I'll get back to you.

Tapering off ativan and zolpidem is a challenge - you need diazepam.

Speak later xxx Tess

• Posted

Thank you Tess, you are so helpful. I'm ok with taking the Zolpidem, Insomia runs in my family. It's really the Ativan I want to stop. 

xx

• Posted

The smaller the dose the slower the taper is a general rule. It took me 8 months of tapering 10% each month. I think 10% a fortnight is too severe hence the withdrawals. At each cut if I didn't stabilise after a month I waited for more than a month before the next cut on two occasions I had to wait for 2.5 months to stabilise on the lower dose. I didn't stop completely until I was left with the size of a pinhead of the original pre taper dose. It takes patience but works these are powerful mind altering drugs so it takes a while for your nervous system to adjust to each cut. The very worst thing you can do is to go cold turkey as you could be left with permanent damage.

Good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.