When will the discomfort go away?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello fellow hydrocelists!

At the beginning of May I was lifting heavy objects for a few days in a row. After the third day I felt mild pain and noticed that my right testicle is bigger than the other (about 50-75% bigger). After a few days I got ultrasound which confirmed varicocele on the left testicle and hydrocele + epididymitis on the right testicle. I went to the urologist and he prescribed an antibiotic and another pill for preventing fluid build-up for 14 days. So, after a week a got diagnosed and I've started the treatment. The size of the testicle was the same all the time and I felt discomfort, heaviness and tension (no pain).

After one week I was getting better I've visited the doctor and he was glad that I was making progress. Next, after another week when the therapy was over I went to see him again and he said that everything looks good and that I should rest for one more week and go on with my regular routines (except lifting very heavy objects) after that.

Now it's been three weeks since he told me that, but the right testicle is still bigger than the other (maybe 5-10%) and I still feel discomfort and heaviness. The question is - when can I expect this discomfort to stop? I've read somewhere that it takes up to 6 months in some cases? I am a little bit frustrated because I feel that I will start gaining weight because I've become totally inactive because I am afraid that something bad might happen again. Except for grocery shopping (I am not carrying anything heavy for a month now) and walking the dog for 20 minutes every day I don't do anything else. I feel like an old man now although I am 40 years old. Before this I was riding a bike three times a week and I often took long walks. Also, I can't figure out what makes the situation better. For instance, I had two days in a row where I didn't do anything and most of the day I felt discomfort. Next, I had a day when I walked a little bit more and the situation was a little bit better. Also, I don't feel any pain or tension when I am lifting things or sneezing or something like that.

Please advise.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

Hi Alexander

After going through surgery with a very large hydrocele.I would say it was probably the size of a large grapefruit which was very painful on most days for about 2 and a half years.In that time I was put on the waiting list for the hydrocele to be removed.It may be better to get it removed at an early stage if possible because the larger it gets the more problems can set in.You should keep on to your doctor and get him or her to refer you to a urolagist . I hope you can get sorted kind regards

John

• Posted

Hi John!

Thanks for the advice. Actually mine got smaller (it's very small now and I am not sure whether it's a hydrocele now or just a testicle with a slightly larger size than the other, but the size is the same for over 2 weeks now and I feel mild discomfort/heaviness). Of course, I keep checking it every day hoping that it will go away for good and I won't feel anything down there.

The advice I got "to move on with my life because everything is great" was given by a respected urologist who prescribed the therapy. I guess I'll have to visit him again if the situation doesn't improve after two weeks (or after one month after the urologist told me that everything is great).

• Edited

Hi Alex

just a thought with you saying its gone smaller.

They do say that they can go away on their own in time . And also they can get bigger.

You might be a lucky one 

• Edited

I really hope so! Anyway, I will wait and see how it goes. I'll post an update in a couple of weeks 😃

• Posted

An update as promised. The discomfort is almost completely gone, and the testicles are almost equal. So, I spend most of the day without thinking about this because I don't feel discomfort at all.

What might have contributed to this new situation:

I have avoided sexual activity completely for 15 days. After that, everything went well without any problems.

I have also started walking more often (not as a form of exercise but normal walking for 20-30 minutes two times a day) and got involved in household chores like vacuuming. I felt instant relief after doing these activities. I will wait for the discomfort to go away completely to start with low/medium-intensity exercises.

• Edited

Hi Alexander, i am in a similar situation as yourself.

the doctor said, after an ultrasound was done, that it was "bilateral mild hydrocele" and no further action required, just rest, even though the discomfort is still there.

you mentioned that you were given a medicine to reduce fluid build-up, do you remember the name of the medicine, by chance?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.