Withdrawal symptons coming off citalopram 20 mg

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I've been on citalopram 20 mg for 18 months and I have now been tablet free for 7 days.

The doctor said I was ready to withdraw off them so this is how I did it.

I took 1 tablet every other day for 3 weeks then 1/2 tablet for a week.

then I decided to come off them altogether.

This is where it doesn't go too well.!!!!!

The side effects have been awful.Dizziness,moody,headaches and lethargic.I didn't expect them to be this bad.

I've persevered and I am feeling stronger than ever.

How long will the dizziness go on though?

Any comments would be great.

thanks,

Shazzer.x

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You should withdraw for months from this medication, because as you've found, they can make you very ill.  Your body is readjusting, and it could last for a few weeks yet, but abating all the time.

Hope it eases soon xx

• Posted

Hi Katecogs,

I've been in a worse state than this so now I'm just gonna have to ride it out.I'm just counting day by day and so proud of myself for where I am now.(Even with the dizziness) B-)

No going back for me.!!!!

Thanks for your support.xx

• Posted

Hi Shazzer,

I have been on Cita over 7 months now and this week started a very gradual reduction from 40mg.

My Dr has me alternating 30/40mg daily for two weeks, if I feel okay, I can continue on 30mg for a few weeks see how I go. Any problems then I must try upping by 5mg and see how that goes. When I am stable on 30/35mg I give it another couple of weeks then try dropping 5mg alternatley daily as before for so, for arguements sake if 30mg is okay the 30mg one day 25mg the next for two weeks. All going well stay on 25mg for another couple of weeks then drop another 5mg and alternate 25/20mg. However, I am not to go below 20mg and by then it should be September and that is when I have my next appt.

Good Luck

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

Hi Shazzer awesome work proud of you that is very brave !! understanding is half the battlewink David sounds like you have it well managed buddy which sounds great! I still have a long way to go although I'm happy I have nt had any anxiety since going on cita, which for me is everything! take care guys!
    • Posted

Hi Stevo,

Thanks.

I'm proud of myself.smile

Glad to hear you're HAPPY. .Stay strong.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel

Keep on going.X

• Posted

Hi David,

That seems a good plan and if it's working even better.

Good luck.X

• Posted

Hi Shazzer, I wish I could help but sounds like you are fighting thru it which I admire your inner strenght! Hang in there I'm sure you are coming close to turning a corner smile I guess 18mths is a decent amount of time to be on them did they cure you for the most part? maybe see your doc about ideas with side effects although the fact you know its side effects is half the battle take care!
    • Posted

Hi Stevo

I am fighting through it and it isn't going to beat me.

As I did the depression and anxiety with help from citalopram.

I must have inner strench because this was all down to work related problems and I still went to work day in day out even at my worst and I got through it with the help of these tablets and not giving up.

At the time though I think you do feel like you're a weak person for going on tablets but I hold my hand up to anyone who admits that they have a problem because that proves you are a strong person for admitting it and you don't have to fight it alone.

I don't know your story Stevo but thanks so much for your encouraging words and I'm gonna turn that corner soon.As are many people on here.smile

Take care,

shazzer.X

• Posted

Hi Shazzer, Good one you. I am at a similar stage although have been on Cytalopram for roughly 13years and have gone cold turkey from 20mg. I have tried tappering before but this way seems just the same- I went to a really good homeopath and got some nat5ural help which has been amazing. I am on day 8 and fully expecting another good couple of weeks feeling dreadful but cant wait to come out the other side. All the very best for your journey.
    • Posted

Hi Sally,

You are brave going cold turkey after 13 years.It was bad enough for me after 18 months but like you say I think you're going to get symptons anyway. I am on day 17 of being tablet free and I feel great.

The dizzy head stopped at around day 11.Thank goodness.Quite moody aswell.Which I didn't like but proud of myself for doing it.

Youre gonna come out the other side even if you don't think that now because it isn't easy but you will.

I'm now entering the next chapter in my life as a happier,confident,positive person.

I've finally reached the light at the end of the tunnel after a long hard journey!!

ggood

• Posted

Hi I've not long cone off citalopram didn't do it the right way did cold turkey approach. Dizziness last for me a couple of weeks. I came onto the forum because of them. Realised it was due to serotonin levels dropping so have been excersising regularly to bring them back up this has helped stop the dizziness but the moodiness is still an issue. 

I kind of think it's having to retrain your brain again into knowing your limits and levels of patience. 

Hope things have started to improve for you. 

• Posted

Hi Tamar,

Wow! Going cold turkey is the worse way to come off and I am glad you appear over the worse now. I am starting a very slow and gradual reduction next week from 40mg down to 20mg or wherever above 20mg that suits me. I see my Dr again (if I don't need to see her in the meantime) beginning of September. I may make it to 20mg, I may not we will see.

Exercise, diet and supplements can all help. I am going to take exercise in the sunshine at least 10 mins a day to get the old vit D, also B3 and B6. When I have eventually come off Cita I (have all ready got them in a buy one by one for a penny offer)(other offers are available!) will take 5-HTP, but not until I come off.

Please keep posting, as I will as I start to drop, because every little experience helps!

Good luck!

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

Hi David

just curious as to why your tapering down.  Did the meds not help you?

lynda

• Posted

Hello Lynda,

No the opposiite Cita has got me back on track however, I had to go up to 40mg to being to level out. Bit of dentistry problems at the moment, have had Family visit for the week and back to hospital re tooth on Tuesday.

So, all being well I shall start my reduction next week sometime! Although, as my Dr has warned I may never get right down or actually come off - but then I might!

Where are you in the scheme of things at this very moment (with the meds of course!).

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

B3 should have been D3.

Ps Tamar? Kernow?

• Posted

I'm into my 3rd week of 100mg.  Last two days feeling very low.  Suffering from insomnia so had to take a lorazepam last night.  Right at the moment not doing well.

lynda

• Posted

B3 should have been D3.

Ps Tamar? Kernow?

• Posted

I'd be confused too if I received that! Lol! I tried twice to send this to a forum-er "tamar" and wondered if they were in Kernow (Cornwall), the Tamar River seperates Devon (where I am) & Cornwall.

I was replying to tamar, but it for some strange reason put it on your post!

Nice hearing from you though!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Yeah I had been taking vits too. Had forgotten about them. That might help stable out a few mood related issues. 😀
    • Posted

Anything natural and not contrary to what yer Dr says is good! Hopefully yer Dr is up to scratch with this "sticking plaster for the brain".

I did have a few mood swing issues about a month ago, but there were (back like when I was a teenager! (I'm 58)). Poor Ann (me Fiancee) she let me rant a while and then we laughed after. Everything is back to normal and even with the odd bit of crap news on the radio or problem thrown at us (like we had the mains water supply burst!) I take it in my stride in a laid back way. After all life is too short!

Are you from Kernow? Reason I ask is because of your user name and the fact I be in Deb'm me dear! If not no prob.

Anyway, keep positive, keep posting, keep learning and you'll keep getting betterer!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Hi Tamar,

Glad to hear the dizziness has stopped so has mine.It's not very nice is it.

I exercise too which is good but I felt lethargic but still made the effort.

The moodiness for me has been the same quite tough and being as I didn't want to be that way with anyone and I found it hard at work and I apologised to the girls that I worked with if I was a bit snappy or quiet but its funny really (well not)because all my problems cameabout due to work related issues and the person who caused them has left but my boss who I tried to talk to knew I had come off the tablets and I told him I didn't feel myself but I still worked through it.

He pulled me to one side and asked how I was doing.I said that I was finding it tough but trying to work through the withdrawal symptons.He replied with that he had noticed as well as the other staff that I was going slower than usual and that my mind was not with the job.

I was gutted to know that I had gotten through the worst then was being spoken to about being slow about my job when I've never missed a days work for the last 19 month.

Luckily for me I am on holiday now for 2 weeks and like you say Tamar it's retraining the brain and keeping happy and positive about thing is vital.smile

Hope you are getting there and your moods are improving.

Take care and keep in touch.

shazzer.X

• Posted

Hi David,

I think I need to get some Vitamins then.I'm on starflower oil but was thinking of Berroca to give me a boost.

What's 5 HTP?

Hope you're doing ok.

Like you say David.Keep posting everyone.:-D,

Shazzer.X

• Posted

Hi that must of been tough being told that. You'll get there. Good timing that your in holiday for 2 weeks hopefully that will give you a bit of time to regroup and recharge.

Thankfully I'm self employed so I am my own boss.

David thing of vitamins is a good thing I think I need to get back in mine. I'm noticing a difference not being in them.

Take care.

Tamar

• Posted

OMG 5-HTP - I'd recommend it for anyone who's off SSRI 's ....... :-) :-)

When you're off Citalopram try a natural SSRI called 5-HTP which needs to be taken with l-tyrosine.  Both can be bought from Holland & Barrett (if you're in the UK) and you need to take them both.  Read a book called 5-HTP The Natural Way to Overcome Depression, Obesity by Michael T Murray ........ it's a really interesting read.

You need to be off SSRI's completely before starting 5-HTP as they mustn't be taken together.

Sorry David .... I answered your question.  Too exciting not to talk about this.

K xx

• Posted

Hi Katecogs,

I'm gonna have a look now. it sounds really interesting.I'm excited at the thought.Hopefully I can download onto my kindle and have a good read about it.Thanks for that.

shazzer.X

• Posted

Hey David, just me Cindy. That 5-HTP do I start that after my last day of taking the cit? I've been taking my B6 and D3 plus other vitamins but want to make sure about the 5-htp and I heard also I-tyrosine, is that also to be taken with the 5-htp?  Hi to Ann also, hope you both are well. Cindy
    • Posted

It's an interesting book and seems to make a lot of sense.  I came off Cit 2 years ago and though wasn't depressed/anxious as I used to be, I was flat which I couldn't seem to shift.  I took these and felt as good as when I took Cit without all the side effects.  I took these for a year but restarted Cit last year due to family illness which stressed me out and I needed to stay well throughout.  I shall come off Cit again in due course (am on 5mg now).

Think it was a good month in between taking Cit and 5-HTP.

• Posted

Hi Cindy,

Apparantly it does and Kate can testify to that (now it seems I'm cutting in on posts to Kate! Lol!

Anyway I have bought the book and 5-HTP in prep of coming down and (hopefully) off.

David x

• Posted

What a terrible boss ! You poor thing no one deserves to be told that when they are doing it tough and are brave enough to be at that place of work!! Dont take to much from what they say as they have little or no understanding! hang in there my friend!
    • Posted

Thanks for that katecogs.

I'll have a look.

Sounds like you're doing good.

Take care,

Shazzer.x

• Posted

Hi Stevo,

Thankyou for your encouraging words.

I felt it was like a blow to the stomach after everything I'd been through but when I took a step back I dusted myself down I realised that I was on the last stage of beating this depression and nothing that anyone said was going to get to me.Positivity.!!!!

Thanks again Stevo. X

• Posted

Thanks Tamar,

Yeah glad I'm on holiday.

Withdrawal symptons have gone.Thank goodness.

Onwards and upwards.

X

• Posted

Hey shazzer

Sorry to hear about the boss and work related stress.  You have an illness, like any other illness, and time and consideration needs to be given to you as it would for any other illness.  Your works people have a duty of care towards their employees - do you have a union rep, HR or someone?  

I left my last job 3 years ago because of the vile boss ..... bullied everyone, starting with me.  I'd worked in the museum industry (run by the local council) for 7 years and loved it.  Alongside the Curator I ran the building facilities, security, admin, staff and we worked well together.  She left and a new lady took over.  From day 1 she laid into me, finding fault with everything I did, my responsibilities were taken away little by little, and I began to doubt myself.  I complained to the Council HR and boss but little was done.  Bullies are clever and always seem amazing to those above.  The subtle abuse continued until I got stressed, lost my confidence and started making errors.  I fought back but eventually broke down at work in tears, went home and my hubby said 'just leave'.  So I did .... and not without redundancy either :-)  Since then 3 more members of staff have left, their complaints not taken seriously, and one even took the boss to a tribunal ..... and lost.  The Council stood up for her.

Luckily I wasn't depressed at the time (had recovered long before this) but it began to make me ill.

Sometimes people's 'wrong' words to you can knock you for 6, and maybe they'd have thought otherwise if they'd known how it would affect you.  People don't understand depression, don't realise what they say can have a detrimental effect on us, and the same thing can be said but in a much nicer and more positive way.

You may be slower at work, you're recovering.  Would they expect someone who'd gone through chemotherapy to work at their normal pace?  I doubt it.

You're a strong person for having come this far ..... Wishing you the best ..... as you say, positivity!!  

K x

• Posted

Hi Cindy

Yes it did for me.  Reading the book was very enlightening as it explains how serotonin works in your body, how Citalopram and other meds work to hang onto it in our brain, and how 5-HTP works instead.  5-HTP is called the natural serotonin.  You need to take l-tyrosine with it too - it stopped the indigestion I got from 5-HTP on it own.

It took a little time to build up in my body, but when it had I felt quite well and had none of the side effects that Citalopram gives.

I did restart Citalopram last year though as we had family illness that really shook me, so I needed to stay on top of things.  I've currently reduced my Cit now down to 5mg and will eventually come off that and go back on 5-HTP.

K x

• Posted

Thank you Kate. I will be taking the 5htp after I'm off the cit, hope it works as good for me as it has for you. Good luck getting off the cit again. Cindy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.