Withdrawal symptons coming off citalopram 20 mg

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I've been on citalopram 20 mg for 18 months and I have now been tablet free for 7 days.

The doctor said I was ready to withdraw off them so this is how I did it.

I took 1 tablet every other day for 3 weeks then 1/2 tablet for a week.

then I decided to come off them altogether.

This is where it doesn't go too well.!!!!!

The side effects have been awful.Dizziness,moody,headaches and lethargic.I didn't expect them to be this bad.

I've persevered and I am feeling stronger than ever.

How long will the dizziness go on though?

Any comments would be great.

thanks,

Shazzer.x

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi shazzer wondering how you're doing today coming off cit? I'm on day 4. I was on 5 mg for 5 weeks than my doctor upped it to 10 mg for another 6 weeks, so only about 11 weeks on cit totally. My doctor started me on a5 week schedule top come off 1) 1/2 whole 1/2 whole 1/2 whole 1/2. 2) whole 1/2. 1/2. whole 1/2. 1/2 whole. 3) 1/2 pill for that week 4) 1/2 no 1/2 no 1/2 no 1/2. 5) 1/2 no no 1/2 no no 1/2 DONE!! I sure hope that's a good way for me to wean off, what do you think? I'm on B6 and D3 during those time and I'll get 5 -htp after I'm off. Cindy
    • Posted

Hi Cindy

3 weeks today tablet free and life's good.

No tablets to fall back on its the real deal now and it was scary but worth iit

Well done to you.!!:-)

How are you feeling?

it would be good to compare cold turkey to the way you've done it.

Shazzer.x

• Posted

Well today is day 7 weaning, I'm tired and anxious but anxious because I hope I'm doing the right thing, I'm an anxious person, thanks to my mom but I want to be off this cit, so I guess I've got to really fight hard, hope I can do it. I'm on B6 AMD D3, I guess after I'm off the cit I can start the 5 -htp,will that be all I need to know and take sand hopefully work for me too?
    • Posted

And is it still normal to feel anxiety coming off this med? Thank you for the help too you all offer, it helps calm me some. Cindy
    • Posted

Hey! Cindy, I don't remember the 5-HTP book mentioning anything about taking sand? Lol!

David x

• Posted

You always bring a smile out of me even when I'm feeling anxious! Lol
    • Posted

Hi Cindy,

Well done to you.Keep going.;-)

You're going to feel anxious but as the days go by you're a step closer to being tablet free.If the tablets have done there job in the first place you should be fine once you wean off them.I know it's hard.I wondered myself if I'd done the right thing but I know that I have.

you can always come on here for chats.You ain't on your own.

Take care

• Posted

Take care,

Shazzer.X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.