Withdrawing from Citalopram over one week

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hiya,

Feeling pretty ill and lost right now. I saw my Dr last week who has told me to go from 40mg to 0mg of Citalopram in a week. I've managed it and it's now been about 60 hours since my last 10mg dose. She said this week I need to have off and then go onto Sertraline from next week.

I feel horrendous, sweating and then freezing cold. My brain feels like its floating in water, I'm exhausted and one minute I am seriously wanting to jump in front of a train and writing my suicide letter. Next minute I am sat here feeling tranquilised and horrible but able to cope. How long am I going to feel like this? it's getting too much...

When I started on the Cit the first week was hell on earth and I thought I was dying, will the Sertraline start like this too?

Would love some responses to this, got no one else I can talk to x

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there I havnt come off cit. but you sound like your not having a nice time at all. Maybe a trip back to the doctors if your feeling that bad, from what I've read in the past its a real nightmare to come off them. I'm sure someone will reply who have had the same effects as you to coming off these pills. Your not alone and there are a huge amount of people happy to chat. Hang in there remember it's not going to last long ️xx
  • Posted

I am no medical expert but I think your doctor is wrong in getting you to reduce from 40mg to zero in one week. In my mind it should have been more gradual. A month is more like it. Hope you soon start feeling better
  • Posted

Oh boy, sorry to hear you are feeling like this.  In all the posts on this forum about withdrawal it's always about doing it very slowly.  I'm coming off 20mg cit and have been reducing by 5mg over the past five weeks, I'm now on 5mg daily and will continue for another week and then start spacing them out.  I really think this is too quick and the Doctor was wrong to advise this. Can you ring and talk to him/her and tell them how you feel?
    • Posted

My Dad is also on Cit and has never managed to come off it before. He got angry with me as he said I didn't listen to the Dr properly about coming off over a week. But I did hear properly. If I wasn't terrified about losing my job I would be in my bed right now. keep having panics because I can't take this feeling but I have to keep calming myself down about it. Don't want to fail giving these up because I always fail at everything else linked with willpower. I feel that if I call the GP there is nothing they can do and I'll come out feeling sadder and humilated than I feel already.
  • Posted

Oh good god!!  What is your doctor thinking!  Never ever withdraw from Cit or any SSRI like that.  You're having serious withdrawl effects.  Reducing from 40mg in a week?!  How long were you on Cit?  Being in meds for 6-8 months then tapering off should be 6-8 weeks, but if less than 8 weeks then 1-2 weeks is considered safe.

If you've been on 40mg I'm assuming it's been longer than 8 weeks?

Why are you changing?  All SSRI's take a good 3-4 months at least before you notice any slight changes and it's a month by month improvement not week by week.  You have to be so patient with these meds - they're not a quick fix.

When I came off 20mg it took me months and months.

I'd go see your doctor, or any doctor and get something sorted now.  Starting another meds next week is going to give you side effects too so you're going to feel quite poorly.

Never stop these meds abruptly.  You'll be very ill.  Remember, how you're feeling now is to do with the meds, not you.  

Go see someone now.

Keep in touch xxxxxx

• Posted

Hi katecogs,

I have been on Cit for 10 months up until Monday. I have been having more panic attacks and so my Dr suggested a change of meds. I am a seriously strong person and will just keep going and going because I hate admitting defeat but I am definetely feeling fed up and ill. Sat here at work wishing I never ever went on these stupid meds.

• Posted

Hi carnaby

10 months is quite a while and definitely shouldn't be coming off these in a week then.  Every time you increase a dose you will have side effects and have to give it time to settle each time.  Some people don't understand this and can't wait for doses to settle and THEN wait some more for the meds to work.  So to keep increasing and not waiting can prolong the side effects which might end up being 10 months with no change.  I recovered on 20mg which is the regular dose, though of course some people do need a higher dose.  It really is a tough road, but once you find the correct dose and meds, they will help you.  If you had felt any happy contented period throughout your time on Citalopram, however brief, then it means they were working - but one thing to remember is that during recovering you will get setbacks (or blips) where you feel panic and depressed again.  These are normal and will disappear again.  It's just the normal route of recovery.  Eventually the panic stops and you feel well all the time.  Again, it's a long process.

All SSRI's work the same and you must accept that there is no quick fix. MIT won't happen overnight or within weeks.  It's usually month by month that you'll see changes, not week by week.

I've changed meds twice before but I don't remember how it was done now.  As you're feeling now it's not surprising you wish you hadn't started medication, but really ... they are amazing once you get it right and you get through all the nasty side effects.  I was ill for 15 long years and I'd had counselling, medication, hypnotherapy and was just desperate to just stop all the suffering...... I was then put onto SSRI's and slowly I recovered on them alone and have been well for 15 years now.

It won't be an easy ride on any of the SSRI's, but with support here, you can do it.  First speak to your doctor about the situation you're in now, and see what they can do re stopping/starting the meds.  Next remember to be prepared for a little rough time for a while, but it will ease.  Keep in touch on here as people will help.

They will work for you if you're prepared to give them time ...... much time.

K x

• Posted

Sorry for the typos ...... x
  • Posted

That sounds drastic!!! I was on 20mg for a month, I stopped taking them 7 days ago, and feel much better. I don't feel anxious or detatched anymore, I felt they made your brain sluggish, and feelings of " not in the moment".....Perhps discuss again with GP???

Good Luck!!

• Posted

Hey

Your doctor is wrong..!!! You can't just stop taking them as you've seen your very ill... I would definitely go back an tell him/her that you want to ween off not stop taking them....

I was at my doctor and we discussed coming off slowly an easy.... I was on 20mg and today is the first day of 15mg, then about 2weeks later I'll drop to 10mg and so on...

I've also started to do mindfulness meditation which does help

Hope your OK

Stay strong,were all here for ya

Cheryl

• Posted

Hi, everything sounds pretty scary for you, it sounds like you are really staying as strong as can be expected. I was on sertraline 1st, for 4 months, didn't really have any side effects going on it, then stopped taking that and went straight on Wellbutrin, with no break in between. Wellbutrin did not agree with me at all, then went to Cita. I wonder why your Dr didn't put u straight away on sertraline? I think sertraline works great also, so good luck with the transition. And keep the good attitude that u r gunna stay out on top, and not be defeated. I also first went on antidepressants because of no willpower, I'd get stressed and grab a cocktail to take the edge off( not good) The antidepressants have given me the control to beat alcohol which is awesome!! So stay strong and u will kick ass!!
  • Posted

l am sure something is not right, ring NHS advice line they will confirm what most of the lovely people here are saying, in any case feeling suicidal is no playing game, what if it gets worse u are taking a big risk, your family loves u.
  • Posted

I agree with Richardt.  If you're feeling really ill and having suicidal tendencies, please ring NHS Helpline for advice, or even your local Crisis Team.  I nursed my 20 year old son through a breakdown which hit him last year, and the Crisis Team and Police were involved when it became too unbearable for him and he had suicidal thoughts.  With everyone's help, the correct dose and my constant nursing him and the family's help, it took 5 long painful months before he began to feel any benefit.  Today he is a happy young man and to hear him laughing and whistling around the house is wonderful.  I have my boy back :-)

You will get over this. xx

• Posted

I've just got back to my desk. Got a message from a family member before lunchtime and it sent me spiralling. After an hour of crying hysterically I feel a little of the weight has been lifted.

My GP seems reluctant/unable to do anything except give me anti depressants. I feel like I'm just a nuisance to her to be honest. I am usually such a happy person. i spend my days making people laugh because thats what i like to do, i like to make others feel good. I did feel the benefit of the Cit but because of the panics increasing GP suggested I try something else. I feel strong for doing this in a week and carrying on but I know inside I am crumbling away. Someone once told me if I felt really suicidal I should go to A&E... Thing is, I can't see what anyone can do for me?!

• Posted

You can't see what anyone can do for you because you're right in the middle of feeling ill and negative.  That's only natural.  I used to think the same about me.  There is a lot that can be done for you.  You will get over this, however bad it feels at the moment.  I've been there ..... I know exactly how you're feeling. x

If your GP seems reluctant, unable or disinterested in you then maybe you should find another doctor.  Shame on her!  She's a professional and should do her job and care for anyone who comes through her door.  Depression is a serious illness.  I fought for my son from the nasty receptionist and the first doctor he saw who talked down to him, the weeks and weeks of waiting for a hospital appointment, being passed from pillar to post ..... and it wasn't until my son took drastic action that everyone came running - and by then I blew my top and told the professionals how disgusted I was at the lack of care.  From then on my son was seen weekly. 

Maybe if you began feeling the benefits of Citalopram then it was beginning to work for you.  Even when you feel the benefit you will continue to get panic feelings every so often because they don't stop immediately.  They very slowly ease off over months.  I really can't emphasise enough how slow and long the medication takes to work.  How long had you been on 40mg?  If you'd been having these setbacks (blips) I mentioned, and you had the dose increased because often these setbacks are misunderstood and are misinterpreted as the Cit not working, you probably had side effects too from the dose increase.

Maybe the Citalopram would be ok?

You are not a nuisance to your doctor - you are a normal person suffering with an illness, and it's through your doctors stupidity that you're now in this situation.  Do you have a family member or close friend who knows what you're going through?  Sometimes when you're not well you can't think for yourself and often needs someone to help you and speak up for you.

Yes that's right - if you do feel really suicidal you can go to A&E.  If you have no joy with your doctor today, tomorrow then maybe that's the best thing for you to do.  You can phone the Samaritans too - they will talk to you.  Don't worry, I've been there myself when I was desperate once.

This medication is serious stuff and not to be played around with lightly, and if your doctor can't, or won't help, then she seriously needs a slap confused

Crying does release tension and makes you feel better, so let it out if you need to.

Please speak to someone - anyone.  And if you feel really bad then please go to A&E.  Don't be afraid to go get help.

Youre going to feel a bit rough for a bit, but you WILL get through this.

K x

• Posted

l hope Carnaby07 is not having us own, and is here for getting attention bcoz , she has been advised to go to A and E and she does not want to go, and GPs always give room for Emergency appointments.
    • Posted

Wow thanks Richard that makes me feel fantastic. I am not a liar thank you very much.
    • Posted

Thats very sad aboput your boy kate xx I'm so glad he is doing better now xx
    • Posted

Carnaby you re a great person and I bet hundreds love you hang in there keep figthting as there is light at the end of the tunnel ! I was really dark for so long and the thought of death seemed better than anything until I pushed the envelope one day with drugs after nearly dying and watching friends overdose i woke up and noticed the world wasnt that bad and that living was a great journey I dont use anymore and dont even drink alcohol, i keep my mind healthy and stay as positive as I can ! I think the world is better having you in it than not! get the help you need sweet smile
    • Posted

Thanks steveo - yes was a really tough time for us all. Never thought my son would suffer what I had many years ago. Yes better now thanks xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.