Withdrawing from Citalopram over one week

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hiya,

Feeling pretty ill and lost right now. I saw my Dr last week who has told me to go from 40mg to 0mg of Citalopram in a week. I've managed it and it's now been about 60 hours since my last 10mg dose. She said this week I need to have off and then go onto Sertraline from next week.

I feel horrendous, sweating and then freezing cold. My brain feels like its floating in water, I'm exhausted and one minute I am seriously wanting to jump in front of a train and writing my suicide letter. Next minute I am sat here feeling tranquilised and horrible but able to cope. How long am I going to feel like this? it's getting too much...

When I started on the Cit the first week was hell on earth and I thought I was dying, will the Sertraline start like this too?

Would love some responses to this, got no one else I can talk to x

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

WTF?! Is your Dr an idiot or what?!

THIS IS NO WAY TO COME OFF CITA OR ANY SSRI. Listen to katecogs and some of the others who like most of us know more about "sticking plasters for the brain" than most and, sadly in your case, your Dr. If you are that depressed and feeling unsafe ring that helpline. In the meantime tell your Dr to put you back on Cita, you will experience side effects (as I am, still only after dropping just 10mg), but that is better than crashing like you have! If she says anything, but OK! DEMAND A SECOND OPINION FROM A DR THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT!

I have been on 40mg for 9 months and back in June my Dr agreed with me (as things were going well) that if I wanted I could try reducing. This was because I felt I would like not to be dependant on SSRIs if poss and I had levelled out. I tried dropping 10 mg every other day and this proved to much to soon, then we had Family visit and I had tooth and gum problems which needed hospital appts so I reverted to 40mg a day. I have not been here for about two weeks now as I have felt  down, depressed and sleeping, but I read this about you now and it has made me so angry that I just had to give you support!

THIS IS NO WAY TO COME OFF CITA OR (as Katecogs and others have said) ANY SSRI.

Good Luck and keep posting, I recommend you listen to katecogs, because, she does know what she is talking about! As for me I would not have known what to do if it were not for her and one or two others.

Regards from a very concerned and VERY ANGRY,

David

Ps. I may get deregistered by the monitors, but I dont care, some people need to know when they are putting others llives in danger especially as they are "General" Practitioners (unless they happen to be mine, who is prob the best GP in the world!).

• Posted

'Hear hear' David ...... you go man!!

I was going to suggest carnaby talk to you as know you've been coming off this meds.  Sorry to hear you've been feeling down ...... your body know what it wants, so sleep as much as you can get xx  

Some GP's make me angry too.  I seen many of them.  It takes a lot of courage for a depressed person to finally drag themselves to the surgery, admit theyre feeling depressed or anxious etc even though sometimes they don't even know themselves what's wrong with them, often break down in tears (as I've done many times at my doctors), and just want help, sympathy, the right soothing words, medication or other medical help ......... and you get a GP who hasn't been educated in SSRI's and what the patient will experience, seems disinterested, talks down at you or abruptly or just says the wrong thing.  

There's around 350 million people worldwide suffering from this illness - so you'd think by now all GP's would be educated better in dealing with this.

K xx

• Posted

I think the problem is as well that I am a VERY good actor, having suffered for many years I can quite easily click my fingers and act and look fine to everyone. This is probably what the GP sees as I have generally been made to feel there is nothing that can be done. I find it really hard to talk face to face too which then makes me pin more blame on myself.

I was on 40mg of cit for about 8 months and the other two months I was on 20mg and 30mg. It's making me feel like I don't want to take the Sertraline next week but I know deep down without it I will not be able to cope. I am going to Australia on holiday in 5 weeks too so I am SO anxious that I am not going to be feeling 'normal' in time for that. But then, what is normal because I can't remember!!

I have friends who know about my struggles but they don't know what to say to me, and you know what thinking about it, why would they? If they haven't been there they won't know. Just makes me feel more isolated though but that's something I am sure we can all relate to. I pride myself on looking after others and advising them but can't sort myself out...

• Posted

I know exactly what you mean - I hid my illness from everyone for 15 years and couldn't talk about it for fear of being thought of as being weird.  Only my husband knew.  Slowly over the years when I'd recovered, did I talk about it more, and only last year when my son became ill did I open up to friends and family.  It's surprising how many people close to me have suffered with the same.

You need a doctor you feel you can talk to and be comfortable with.  Don't worry though, because I bet ost of us have had exactly the same symptoms from anxiety, weird thoughts, fear of losing control, emotional, panic attacks, depression ..... all of which brings more anxiety on and your mind is never still.

When you're depressed etc your nerves become 'raw', ready to fire off at any provocation.  Your thoughts can turn inwards and you scare yourself, you get panic attacks, and you get caught in a viscous cycle of fear-depression-anxiety-thoughts etc.  Anti depressants and especially SSRI's help to break this cycle by hanging onto your serotonin (your happy hormones) before they're reabsorbed into the brain.  Serotonin makes you feel happy and some people have a low level.

Once the medication starts kicking in, anxiety eases, depression lifts, the constant thoughts ease and you generally feel lighter and like your old self again.  

Maybe you should stay on Citalopram for a while longer to help the acute feelings you have at for the moment?  

Australia!!  How exiting! :-)  Ok .... so this is happening in 5 weeks.  So maybe it is best to stay on Citalopram for now and try again after you've come back?  Don't put a timescale on yourself because you may not be better by the time you go, but just accept that you're working towards recovery like any other illness.  You may possibly take your illness with you to Australia and bring it back again ....... but that doesn't mean you won't get better.  You will, but the medication will work in it's own time.  For now it'll help ease what you're suffering at the moment.

Its best to obviously talk to your doctor about your medication as she's the one who prescribed it.  It's not for me to say really, but am only looking at ideas.  Is there another doctor in the practice you can see instead maybe?  Can you ask to be referred for counselling / psychotherapy?  Don't worry, they're there to help and it's best to be on the waiting list than not at all.

Have you thought about reading some books?  I read all I could when I was ill as it helped to unravel the mystery a little.  Dr Claire Weeks books Self Help for Your Nerves etc were some I read.  I know not everyone likes these books, but they helped me immensely.

This is a very common illness, so you're not alone.  It feels isolating I know x

You could even write down how you feel when you see your doctor - it helps.  My son couldn't even talk when I accompanied him initially - he opened up to me as said he could tell me anything as it wouldn't shock me.  

You our need to sort these meds out at the moment.  The sooner, the better.  

K x 

• Posted

The best way to get the right dianosis when u go to your GP, is to write down how u feel point by point, on different days, then when u see your GP present your notes to her or him, bcoz ii is really difficult to explain yourself bcoz sometimes when u see your GP u will be feeling better that hour, or that day.
  • Posted

Think you definitely need to try and see a different doctor... sad hope it gets better soon x
  • Posted

Hey Carnaby,

You are doing really well its not easy!! it sounds like the withdrawals from meds! which take a few weeks months in extreme cases just depends, and they knock you around alot... hang in there if you get really low call for help dont let yourself slip into major negativity your worth too much smile I hope things start improving! stay positive in this tough time my friend!

• Posted

9am and already crying. Someone just called me at work, he had the wrong number but was vile to me about it so that's started me off. 84 hours since my last cit now.
    • Posted

Please make a emergency appointment with your Doctor now, before the weekend dear.
  • Posted

Well ladies and gents I have just given in and rang 111 at 2.15pm. I was advised to go to A&E within the hour... Now, as an NHS worker personally I feel this is an utter waste of resources as I am not about to drop dead nor is my arm falling off. So I thought I would call my GP. No GP's available now. So it looks like two more days of being strong for me!!
    • Posted

Do u pay tax dear,so do not worry about NHS, do u live alone or with family, if u need to talk at anytime u can call the Samaritans its free, 24 hours.
    • Posted

Waiting for a GP phone call at 6pm. Not that you believe me.
  • Posted

I hope u are not on the site to seek attention, bcoz depression is no laughing matter, l would not wish it on anyone, it ruined my life, l am ok now but found out l had depression and they was a cure too late, l am 44 years now, happy but had depression since l was 14 years only got help in 2012, it was hell forme attemted suicide more than 4 times since 14 years.Carnaby07 u have been referred to A&E and u still do not want to go, l hope u are on the site bcoz u are serious bcoz, l depression is very seriuos dear.
    • Posted

Richard I cannot believe you are even suggesting any of that to be honest. If you have suffered depression why would you speak to someone like that?! Surely you know how it feels so shouldn't really be judging anyone else. It's words like yours that stop people getting help. I wish I had the time and energy for it to be a wind up to be honest then it would mean I wasn't suffering!!!
    • Posted

Wow... Back off Richardt! Give the poor girl a break, not feeling the need to go to A&E doesn't mean she's attention seeking, perhaps she felt she was getting all the support she needed from here until you started on her! Lol. I agree if your feeling a bit better now and don't feel you need to go then don't waste the doctors time, but at the same time, if you ARE feeling suicidal or want to go, don't feel bad about it. It's your choice Hun only you know how you feel x
    • Posted

Thank you melmo. Not that it has anything to do with Richard but the reason I do not feel I need to go to A&E is because my withdrawal symptoms are not life threatening. A&E stands for accident and emergency doesn't it. I'll wait to see what my GP has to say first smile
    • Posted

Hi carnaby

No your symptoms may not seem life threatening to a certain extent, but suddenly withdrawing from meds and of course if you're feeling suicidal, then yes, they are.  You have every right to use A&E the same as anyone else - you are having an emergency.  Lord knows how many drunk people will turn up there tonight probably wasting NHS time, so I would definitely say yours is a true, and very serious, illness.

If advised to go to A&E then I'd seriously consider it, but of course it's only advice and entirely up to you.  If you're having a crisis then you will be seen there and probably be referred immediately.

Do you have people with you this weekend?  Someone at home?  Maybe try and have a restful weekend ....... 

I do feel for you - take it easy, and let us know what happens.

K xx

• Posted

I'm sure Richard meant well, it just wasn't worded in the most helpful way smile make sure you go if you need to and explain about the withdrawal because it definitely is something that should be discussed with a doctor who knows what they are talking about (preferably NOT the one who told you to come off so quickly!) hope you feel better soon x
    • Posted

Hi l am sorry l offended you, l thought if l winded u up u would go to A&E, but unfortunately it backfired, l am happy u are feeling ok, wish u well on the new tablets, and holiday dear.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.