XEN gel surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Did anyone have this XEN glaucoma surgery? I am 48 tried several years combigen, lumigen, azopt, timolo, and laser surgery, but eye pressure still around 23, rhopressa works to 18, but cannot tolerate the side effect, now the doctor want to do XEN gel surgery, did some research, worry about the side effect and one or two years later the gel clog, need operation again. If anyone did this surgery, can you share any infomation? Greatly appreciate ahead.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lee. I had the Xen implant four years ago. Unfortunately it healed too close to my iris which prevented it from working properly. Last year I had the microshunt implant which is similar to the xen - a stent basically. My pressure pre-surgery was 28. It has been brought down to 8 and remained at that level for a year now. The trick with eye surgery is to take extra care post-surgery and do very little physically as this is the delicate stage when the implant is healing and bedding in. You will be given anti-biotics and anti-inflammatory drops post-surgery so the success of the implant can also depend on how your body responds to these. The key is to keep the eye relaxed for several weeks while it heals. You will be fine. Surgery is minimally invasive and over in under one hour. I was discharged from hospital within two hours. Any questions let me know.

• Posted

Thank you so much andewilk, Dr. may never provide the individual detail information, As a patient, It seems like I must go though a dark/silent tunnel, if I know someone ahead me and I am not the only one, this will be a huge help.

How long did the Xen last? I did some research, the successful surgery will last at least two years. Someone may need revise/ needle. Younger may have more chance to heal? Before you had microshunt implant, how about the Xen gel, just leave it as is or need to remove? I assume the microshunt implant location is different as that of Xen?

Thank you!

• Posted

The xen did not last long in my case. It reduced my eye pressure for a month or so but it healed too close to my iris which prevented it from working. The xen implant was redundant and therefore did not need to be removed from my eye. The microshunt implant was inserted on the other side of my eye. Younger ppl do tend to heal quicker which can be disadvantage apparently post-surgery if the implant is not in the right place to begin with. Needling is sometimes required to remove stitches but not necessary. I didnt have any. I would recommend asking your doctor if microshunt is a possibility. Im not sure about the longevity of eye implants but Im assuming they are designed to last much longer than a few years. Im not positive but I think the success rate for microshunts are better than the zen. Do ask your doctor and good luck. Surgery is fine. Dont worry about it. I opted for sedation (and therefore was awake for my surgery) rather than general anaesthetic. Dont insist on general anaesthetic unless you absolutely need it as it can be dangerous esp for older ppl. Sedation will keep you relaxed and calm and ensure quick discharge after surgery. Good luck!

• Posted

Sedation did not work at all for me. Gave me a double dose and it did nothing at all.... It is highly individualistic as to whether it will or won't work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.