Xolair and swollen ankles and legs

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi 

Has anyone had swollen legs and ankles.. I just started getting them at night and by morning they are gone.. And I watch my salt intake closely so i know that is not it.. Could it be a xolair side effect?? Anyone else?? Thank You ..

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jana.

Are you taking the drug for the hives?  What is causing the hives?  I’m curious because I haven’t read that xolair causes many causes of leg edema but many conditions definitely do

• Posted

Hi Lisa 

Yes i am taking the drug for the hives.. No one can find out after many tests what is causing my hives and angiodema.. I will talk to my reg dr about the swollen legs and ankles as well as my allergist .. I do need to see her after my 6th shot which will be end of month..

• Posted

Yes Jana, I have had that issue since starting my Xolair injections too.  It's not extreme, but can definitely see it.  

• Posted

how about hair loss .. do you have much.. I am freakin out with the hair loss but I cant go without the shot as the hives are unbearable i get them all over.. not anymore only get a couple but i am still taking benedryl daily at night and sometimes a claritin tho i dont know why i have to take them they do very little .. just keep itching down even if no hives there
    • Posted

Yes Jana

i had hair loss when I had Xolair injections. The injections did not take away my hives only helped a little so doctor took me off injections.  After I stopped the injections slowly my hair started to grow back so not to worry.  I found a great doctor at Johns Hopkins that has been able to give me quality of life back.  We are all different...some the injections work some not.  You can google hair loss with Xolair if you need more info. Your hair will grow back.

• Posted

Hi Jana

Have you tried Allegra?  Really helps with the hives...stronger than Claritin.  When I was starting to break out again I took 1 Allegra in the morning and one at night.  Really helped!!  Now I only take 1 in the evening.

• Posted

Yes it seems nothing helps when i break out except prednisone , benedryl helps a little depends on how bad the break out is.. I do have allegra will try that again.. thank you Jana
    • Posted

Hi Jana

i hope Allegra works well for you as well.  I am down to 2 mg Prednisone and the Allegra each day.  Doctor has also suggested generic for Singular...I think as she is very slowly weening me off the Prednisone.  How much Prednisone do you take?  Such a blessing to be hive free the past two years!

• Posted

Hi Wendy; I was just reading your response to Jana.....have you been taking prednisone for 2 years?  
    • Posted

I dont take prednisone unless i have bad angioedema then i take one 10 mg and it goes away.. I never take it daily .. I take benedryl, claritin , tried allegra today.. and the xolair shots
    • Posted

Hi Meemaw

Yes, I have been on Prednisone for Two years mostly low dose 5mg and under as my Urticaria was so severe nothing worked so I had to go on Cyclosporine and Prednisone for a time and extremely slowly went off Cyclosporine and slowly going off Prednisone....if you go down too quickly on the Prednisone for me.....the hives just comes back.  So as mentioned I am on 2 mg with the Allegra and hopefully in a couple of weeks I hope to go down to 1mg and if good I will try 1mg every other day for a couple of weeks.....then try to go off completely with just the Allegra...Lord willing.  It's not the best to be on Prednisone long term but there was no other option and fortunately it has been low dose.  Doctor checks my blood every few months and all is good.  I do have osteopenia could be from Prednisone or the fact that I am 66........Xolair, Prednisone is not good for our bodies but for some......a must for quality of life.  Xolair did not work for me.

• Posted

GM Wendy;  thank you for clarifying that for me.  I am 62, so we are in the same age bracket and other than eczema, mostly as a child and an occasional break out of a few hives from antibiotics, I had never even heard of CIU until last year.  I'm curious if it affected your weight.  I cannot quite determine if it is was only the prednisone or if it is all the drugs together including the Xolair injections that have contributed to my 40 lb weight gain.  

• Posted

Hi Meemaw

interesting as I had eczema during this last bout of Chronic Urticaria it might be tied together....I believe it's all about the immune system.  When it gets out of wack our bodies try to fix it but goes overtime 😢.  I have not gained any weight since being on Prednisone...maybe it's due to the low dose I have been on.  I only had 3 injections of Xolair before I stopped and the only side affect was the hair loss.

• Posted

Meemaw

you might look into taking a very good probiotic as well as L-glutamine and Super Quercetin all very good for Urticaria.

• Posted

what did john hoppins put you on what injection may i ask who u aee i have bad allery induced asthmama become allergic to everything the shot gibes me alot of side effects

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.