Your food intolerance symptoms?

Posted , 9 users are following.

For the last couple of years I've experienced bouts of nausea and bloating, gradually worsening to episodes of vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, bloating, the shakes and lethargy. (Many nights spent on the bathroom floor).

After many unsuccessful GP visits and experimenting with my diet I have come to the conclusion that gluten triggers these bouts of illness. 

I am really interested to hear from others about their food intolerances and the symptoms they have to put up with. 

I have been gluten free for about two months, and this has made me feel a lot better. However if I accidentally ingest gluten my symptoms come back with a vengeance. 

Does anybody else find this? 

I would like to hear from those who also suffer like me and hear your stories. 

Thanks, 

fed up Grace x

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I need to look on any agree Grace ,Gluten is a big problem ,it's not that your a celiac ,just sensitive to the gluten in foods ,I've had food allergy for 9 years now ,it gives me IBS symptoms ,has done since problems began ,had to do my own homework to it .see I'm not the only one out there by what I read on these sites ,I've done the Fobmap diet ,from my dr ,didn't help much ,then I came across the Dr Mozzi diet ,which works on foods you can eat ,as to your blood group ,so with a bit of manoeuvring that diet can help better .I use to like tomatoes ,but since allergies began I can't ,I looked at Mozzi diet ,that says a no,no to my blood group .

Go check it out ,see how many you can associate with .Another FED  UP 

• Posted

Hi Grace, I've experienced alot of your symptoms for 2 years now and found out by accident that wheat and dairy did not agree with me.  I was getting daily nausea, tummy ache, and pockets of bloating in my intestines like sausages and eventually really bad spasms that kept me awake at night.....I too was put on acid tablets but a friend mentioned wheat and dairy and within 48 hour my spasms stopped. However, the nausea did not and i found I had an intestinal bug....since then I have not been able to go back to either and I follow the low fodmap diet which mainly keeps my symptoms at bay....strayed abit over the summer with just onion in salads and curries and suffered so back to plain meat and 2 veg .....potatoes, rice and soya ice cream and berries! I have developed a pain low on my left groin area lately though and am seeing a gynae; not sure if its hormonal (had scan and clear) or my bowel so I am asking for a scan on my bowel (think that may have to be a colonoscopy).  I have come off acid tablets and am trying l glutamine and I also take a pro biotic every day regligiously (10 Billion acidiphillus).....I have heard this can be linked to peri menopause (I am 47) but who can say...could have been the infection or that may have been because I was on acid reducing tablets that didn't kill it off).  I will never really know the cause. I mainly cope okay with it until my recent scare with ovaries.....interested to hear how you eat and cope.  
    • Posted

The spasms wake me up at night too and I always have the shakes like I've got a temperature. 

I've had a read about The FODMAP diet, and it looks like a good idea, but I'm putting it off as giving up gluten was a big sacrifice for me! I think dairy will go next. 

I hope your bowel scan is clear, or something simple that explains the pain. 

• Posted

Exactly me!!!

I've had IBS for about a year now and i went throught the same thing as you !

I found the worst was garlic, onions, and ALL dairy products

Unfortunately i havent found anything that completely RIDS my IBS, 

Ive tried "Iberogast"  probiotics, metamucil, teas, and de gasses 

nothing has ever fully helped my IBS..

Although when im having a flare I live off dry crackers, peppermint or ginger tea

• Posted

Garlic and onions destroy me! Especially raw onions! 

Im trying aloe Vera juice at the minute which is meant to help. So far not much change :-/ 

• Posted

Hi grace

I have exactly the same symptoms as you. I don't suffer from diarrhea or constipation, I just go to the loo more often during flare ups. I also get mucus and blood in my stools. Massive stomach cramps and pains that I have to take amitriptyline. 

I'm fine with dairy, wheat and gluten. I can't eat anything that's hard to digest, like raw vegetables. No processed or fried food. And I can eat anything that has seeds, pips, stones, nuts or beans in sad 

I'm really struggling at the moment, I've been unwell for nearly 3 weeks now. Lost air of weight and have no appetite. 

It took me 11 months to get diagnosed with post infective ibs, after I suffered with peritonitis. Have you always had ibs, or did something bring it on

• Posted

I don't remember anything bringing it on but I do know it's gradually getting worse. 

I do feel a very basic, gluten free diet for me helps. Everything I love (pastry, bread, alcohol, cake etc), hates me. I get a brain fog and headaches when I eat them now too. And sleep more. 

Its so frustrating, and as someone who doesn't like to make a fuss it's frustrating eating out or at a friends house. I used to shut up and just eat it but now it makes me so ill, it's not worth it. 

• Posted

Please do try fodmap as it's surprising what foods are linked x I'm not sure my current symptoms linked as could be gynae x I had as stool test last year and needed anti biotics for a intestinal infection so worth getting your stools checked for parasites x Still waiting for my referral to gynae after raised ca125 which is also why I want a colonoscopy x but all my spasms and tummy aches and feelings ribs were going to explode went when I gave up wheat and dairy and within 48 hours! The nausea was the infection x I have unsweetened almond milk, soya yogert and ice cream, gluten free bread, wraps, pasta, cake, lacto free butter and avoid onions as much as possible! Have Thai curries instead of Indian x it can work and you do Adjust but it is a life style and way better than the unwell feelings x x 
  • Posted

Hi Grace, I've realized that I have an allergy or intolerance (can't work out the difference) to Jacob's orange club biscuits and jaffa cakes.

I have no problem at all with orange juce so wonder what's in those biscuits that cause such a bad reaction in me.  Terrible pains in solar plexus, breathing problems and extreme tiredness.

I never used to eat biscuits at all until a friend gave me some as his sister works in Jacob's factory and gets loads of them.   I don't get reactions with any other type of biscuit.....only the orange based ones.

Now I'll avoid them completely as the agony is just not worth the brief enjoyment of the taste.

• Posted

I have had the same problems though I didn't become that lethergic like you. I have had lactose intolerance. I stopped taking milk products completely and now I am fine without milk. I take yogurt though. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.