Αlpha Blocker Isn’t Necessary in BPH Patients Using 5ARIs

Posted , 6 users are following.

From BPH News:

"Patients being treated with a combination 5-alpha reductase inhibitor (5ARIs) and an alpha blocker may switch to 5ARIs alone with no worsening of lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS), a new study says. But in overweight patients, the withdrawal must be carefully monitored."

For more details, go to BPH News.

I am doing OK with just Doxazosin (alpha blocker) and CICs (to protect my kidneys) for my urinary retention. Due to this article, I just started Finasteride (ARI), hoping that it will help me further and maybe I can stop taking Doxazosin 12 months from now.

Hank

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hank

I'm still taking the Finasteride, 5mg/day. Like you I have not noticed a big change in the urinary symptoms I still need to CIC 3-4 times a day.

The big change I did notice was that it dropped my PSA from 11 to 4 over the course of a year. As there is a concern that I may have a touch of Prostate Cancer going on I plan to continue because if the PSA starts rising while on the Finasteride that could be a warning to investigate further.

I'm the type that takes as few drugs as possible so I can certainly understand why you stopped...good luck

• Posted

JW, you can also stop finasteride, and expect PSA to rise back to the baseline of 11. Any significant rise above 11 should be investigated. Hank
    • Posted

Hank

Yeah that's an option too...

My thinking is that if I stop Finasteride the PSA will go back to the eleven and then likely continue its slow rise.... it went from 2.7 in 2005 to 11.2 in 2016 which I think is due to the enlargement of the prostate. As I understand it, the Finasteride shrinks the prostate which in turn lowers the PSA and as long as I keep taking the Finasteride the prostate will stay shrunk and the PSA will also stay low. If the PSA increases while on the drug then there could be a problem. It's similar to the "Finasteride Challenge" that is sometimes used in the diagnosis of PCa.

Again, because I don't have problems with side effects and because, in my case, it may be helpful in monitoring probable low grade PCa, I'm going continue using Finasteride but everyone is different and what works for one guy may be the wrong thing to do for another guy. I've run this by my Doc's and although they would prefer I was more treatment orientated they can live with  my approach until something changes...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.