Skip to content

Prostate Problems

Also known as Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, Doxazosin for Prostate Enlargement, Flomax, Tamsulosin

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Recommendations for someone living outside the US

My case may be relevant to a lot of people here, so hopefully good answers will help lots of people. I've got mild but rapidly increasing BPH. Like many of you probably, I'm overwhelmed with the number of non-medicinal treatment options (medicine hasn't worked for me very well). I will...

Last reply
  • REZUM--HAVE YOU HAD THIS DONE???????

I had a nice conversation today with the President of the "Urology Times". He was telling me that there is a "New Procedure" that has been approved called the "REZUM SYSTEM".  The company that makes the system is called "NXThera, Inc".  You can google...

Last reply
  • Going with Focal Laser Ablation for BPH

Ok, I have decided, I am going in the next 21 days for FLA. I have picked dr. k if the schedule of my wife's treatments can allow it along with his schedule. He is busy with some complicated PCa cases as well as talking about a partially self funded clinical trail scenario for BPH patients. ...

Last reply
  • 2 Weeks Post-HoLEP

I was asked to report back after HoLEP on 4 May 2018 at St Albans City Hospital (UK), so here I am. First of all, I cannot fault the hospital, staff or care. Even the food was good! I was expecting to be in overnight, but it turned into 4 nights. Just a bit of background: I am 74 and this was my first...

Posted
  • GreenLight Vs Urolift

Hi I live in Toronto, Canada. I have been suffering with BPH for the past five years. I am 54 years old with no children and don't expect to have children. I am faced with two options. Take the greenlight surgery which is completely free and is paid by the government health insurance. The other option...

Last reply
  • Intermittent self catheterization.

I have BPH and have avoided urologist recommendations to do a TURP. I have been intermittently self cathing on an as needed basis for almost 2 years. Prior to this I was urinating 24 times a day, with little actual volume per urination and retaining over a liter in my bladder. Are there negative long...

Last reply
  • Frequent urination / right testicle pain SO SCARED!

Can some please help me out PLEASE! Ok about a week and half ago .. one day I peeded for a long time and every since then the frequent urination has followed espically at night, going 2-4 times a night.. then The lower abdominal pain started to appear more on right side and my lower back hurts on and...

Last reply
  • Prostate cancer testing UK.

Recently PSA testing is being offer on a much wider scale with hospitals having open days for testing with up to 250 men turning up. This week The Lions Club in Reading sponsored testing at the local Circle hospital  and were taken by surprise when about 2,500 turned up and were...

Last reply
  • Semen comes out after peeing

Hi, I'm getting pretty concerned now, almost every time if not every time I go to urinate after I have finished urinating about 2-10 seconds later seamen comes out of my flaccid (soft) penis. It doesn't just come out by itself most times, most times it makes me feel the need to push a bit and...

Last reply
  • How risky/safe is taking Avodart (Dutasteride)?

My urologist asked me to take Avodart for 3 months to see how much it can shrink my 71 gram prostate, then possibly follow up with the Rezum procedure.  My prostate grew from 60 grams to 71 grams in the 16 months between MRI's.  (Prostate cancer ruled out with biopsy about 18 months ago,...

Last reply
  • The Urolift procedure; patient views and questions

Would it be possible to keep this thread purely about Urolift and a means of sharing experiences from those who have undergone the process and invite debate from those considering it. The Urolift process plus pros and cons are accurately described at many a website. Other very long threads discuss in...

Last reply
  • Enlarged Prostate -self catheterization

I have been using catheter for 4/5 years...no problem, but I have never been offered drugs to shrink prostate or surgery......am I the only one using self catheterization ? should I be offered drugs or surgery ?

Last reply
  • My Prostate Artery Embolization with Dr. Bagla, Jan 2017

I appreciate some of the detailed threads on this site about the PAE procedure - and after reading them, that became the deciding factor in me choosing to go with a PAE procedure rather than Holep laser.  It seemed like the PAE was so much easier and less invasive...why not try it first, right?...

Last reply
  • Urethral itching and sperm discharge during urination

Its been 5 months now since I started passing out sperms whenever am urinating. More so when I try to hold my penis I feel an itching sensation in the urethra that drive up to the scrotum. Am really worried because even when I to have a sexual intercourse with a lady am so weak not like how I used to...

Last reply
  • First masturbation post open simple prostectomy

The doctor told me that I could have sex two weeks after my surgery date. I just masturbated for the first time and was nervous about what I would experience. He said nothing would come out and he was right. However I experienced a burning sensation in the prostate area for about a minute and a...

Last reply
  • Just had a SUPRA PUBLIC OPEN SIMPLE PROSTATECTOMY

Hi Everyone,  I posted a few times on this site about a month ago. I was asking members about the various prostate procedures. My prostate was 263 grams with a large median lobe. I was unable to pee at all prior to surgery. I opted for the SUPRA PUBLIC OPEN SIMPLE PROSTATECTOMY. Surgery was...

Last reply
  • Im 40 and I think my prostate has an issue.

Ok so here is the deal, this is going to get a little personal. I apologize in advance. First of all I am new here and this has probably been answered already, but I’m kind of worried. A couple of months ago I started to notice some changes in my functions “downstairs.”  The first thing I noticed...

Last reply
  • Does alcohol aggravate your BPH symptoms?

I have read that alcohol and BPH don't mix.  I generally have a cocktail before dinner or a beer or a glass of wine with dinner.  I do find that if I have both, my voiding for the rest of the evening is not as good (more frequent and a weaker stream) as when I only have a single drink. ...

Last reply
  • Huge prostate impedes bowels

My prostate was <80cc when I had two urolift procedures.  The latest MRI scan last year showed a 123cc prostate. In addition to the 'usual' peeing problems, I now have difficulty passing motions.   ​It seems my bowel is empty possibly because solids cannot get past the enormous prostate...

Last reply
  • Open prostate surgery is looking more and more likely

Hello Everyone, If any one out there has had open prostate surgery for a huge prostate of over 200cc/grams with or without a large median lobe (I have a large median lobe) I would like to hear from you. I have not ruled out some of the lesser invasive treatments but it is looking less and less likely...

Last reply
  • Rezum not so simple

I had the Rezum procedure in office late January two days later I was in the emergency room with a massive cipro resistant E-coli blood infection and have been in and out of the hospital since trying to get rid of the infection including a follow up TURP operation to remove the dead tissue caused by...

Last reply
  • Green light lazer

I had the green light surgery  6 months ago and I’m still wearing a catheter I urinate but have to on cap the catheter to empty completely I’m sorry I had it done

Last reply
  • Looking for benchmarks

Hello, I had radical prostatectomy on November 28, 2017. Robotic, nerve-saving surgery. Pre-surgery Gleason was 8 (3+5), but post-surgery it was a 7 (3+4).  So here I am, almost 6 months out of surgery. No cancer detected in PSA tests. Yeah! My incontinence amounts to  a few drips and leaks...

Last reply
  • Rezum Procedure 8/1/2017

I am 46 years old. I have suffered with urinary issues for over 20 years. When I was 24 I started having problems with starting and weak stream. It then turned into a split stream and sometimes would spray out, drip etc. I went to the urologist and he said I probably had scare tissue from an injury...

Last reply
  • Scheduled for Green Light

I am a 62 yo with the typical symptoms of BPH with urinary retention after having a Urolift.  Prostatis and cancer via biopsy ruled out and restriction still visible with just dimples at site of 4 Urolift threads. I am interested in post procedure results and recovery times.

Last reply
  • post-Rezum RE (retrograde ejaculation)

I'm 6-mos post-Rezum, but have seen little or no RE improvement; I stopped finasteride in mid-Nov, and alfozosin in mid-Oct; urinary symtoms completely resolved, but urologist indicates that I'm probably among small % of patients w/permanent RE, despite my having elected Rezum over TURP to avoid...

Last reply
  • HoLEP 4 weeks on.

Hi again,  I'm 4 weeks on tomorrow from my HoLEP surgery at Newcastle, UK and am pleased to say that I'm continuing to be very pleased with the improvements that this has given me. These last few days there has been no blood in my urine and had no scabs of any sort. I'm getting...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.