Aquablation aftermath

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, i had the procedure done on 12/29/23, about a month and a half ago, the catheter was rough, I kept getting spasms and it was tough! i ended up taking the catheter out myself believe it it not. there initially was a lot of blood, in fact I had blood in my urine for about a month. As if now i have a powerful stream, but when i need to go, i need to get to the bathroom. i can barely hold it in, im really hoping thus gets better. My doctor promised three things- 1st, i'd be off medication, which i am, 2nd, i'd have a great stream, which i do, 3rd, i would empty my bladder when i go. At this point, i cannot be empting my bladder because I'm peeing about once every 1-1/2 hours. I have a follow up next month and I am trying to stay positive. I will keep you all updated as i progress

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Were your clinicians aware of the spasms? If so did they prescribe medications? It can be dangerous removing a catheter without proper supervision. There is a high risk of creating UTI and potential damage to surgery area. Not usual to pass blood for the many days stated.

Had my aquablation last October and only expressed blood for 2 days. Did have some occasional spasm which disappeared within 3 weeks of op.

My flow is good and no need to rush to bathroom. Tend to go every 5-6 hours depending on liquid intake.

So far so good and can definately recommend the procedure. JUst make sure a well recognised Uro is used.

• Posted

I have had a TURP and a aquablation, and both urologists provided me instructions for removing the catheter at home. It's okay to do it yourself as long as you drained the balloon before you remove it. Usually they will give you instructions on how to do this.

• Posted

You should measure how much you are urinating. If it is less than 200ml, then you are probably emptying your bladder based on your observation that your stream is good, but you are just going too often. It will take some time for your bladder to calm down. I would see a pelvic floor PT and they will give you some training for extending the time between urinations. You should be able to work up to 300-400ml when you avoid.

• Posted

It helps to keep a diary. Track everything you drink (8 ounces of this, 10 ounces of that.) It helps if you have a glass or two marked so that you know. I put a little piece of tape on a drinking cup at the 8-ounce mark. Then track everything you void. If you have one of those triangle-shaped plastic receptacles the doctor gives you, then great, but even a measuring cup will work.

The totals on any given day should match up fairly well. They won't always be the same, because it can take a day for your body to process liquids. For example, if I drank a lot on a Tuesday, I'd void more the next day. Conversely, if you exercise and sweat a lot, you will not void nearly as much. It's not like you drink something and it comes out 30 minutes later. The body doesn't work that way.

The idea is to track this over several days. That said, there should not be a day where you drink 60 ounces but only void 30. It should not be that far apart. If so, then you can suspect that you are retaining urine.

By the way, I used catheters for a long time, and I can tell you that your body is constantly producing urine. Two hours is plenty of time for eight ounces to be generated. Even if you are going every two hours, it's the total output that matters.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.