Just got Aquablation, not what I thought, but maybe I expected too much?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Got the surgery this this February. Spent normal first night in hospital getting flushed out. They pulled out catheter and still could hardly pee anything and it was dark wine color that did come out Then nurse said I was going home with a catheter. She tried putting one in and she said something was blocking it from going in. Said they were going to go get a resident to do a different approach to a catheter. While she was gone, I had urge to pee and finely did some after 3 big lumps of something shot out and then bloody urine followed. The resident came in and I showed him the big lumps, he said no big deal, just bloody tissue. Resident did a wire (some kind of camera guided wire) insertions of a catheter. Went home with it for one week. One bag for day on leg and a bigger bag for night. Was painful, but I still went out to eat and to store. Bag was always red urine. Lots of cleaning the bags. Doctor and staff always say, no big deal doesn't take much red food coloring to turn water, you are not losing too much blood. Finely had a CBC done and blood count was in low normal range.

After 8 days of catheter, got it removed and sent home. Will be two weeks since surgery tomorrow. When I start peeing, it always looks like mostly blood for a second or two, then is pretty clear. Doctor said that is normal and not to worry. The prostate is healing and the urine from bladder is flushing out the prostate. I ask how long will this go on and he said 4 - 6 weeks. During day when I am drinking water, urine does clear up in a second or two. Have to get up 2-3 times a night and then it takes longer to clear up as not a powerful stream as in the day. Which makes sense as I am not drinking lots of liquids.

Not too happy with things, but maybe I just was lead to believe things would go better. Bright side, is no leakage, no problems holding and no burning. Also, stream during day when drinking lots of water, it seems a bit stronger than it was- not a lot. Doctor said that would get better. Still taking Flomax.

I should also mention they had listed on notes in addition to Aquablation, they did a minimal TURP. I said what that mean? Some of prostate had went up in bladder and they had to cut that out and cauterize. I had had a Urolift years ago that did not help. 4 of the pins had to be cut out. Doctor said 3 of those 4 pins had been put in the wrong spot. Another 2 pins he left in as it would take too much cutting to get them out and they weren't in the way.

So who knows, not what I expected, but maybe I was being too optimistic?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

  • Edited

    Sounds like you're on track. There is significant amount of swelling that goes along with the procedures. My prostate was 55 grams, so the swelling was a significant factor when I had to urinate. I spent the first week or so pushing very hard to get a urine stream started. When the swelling started to subsided, I was able to urinate without pushing so hard, I am able to relax to start a stream 18 days post-op.

    Keep drinking your water. You need to flush your system out in order to reduce blood clots. 3/4 of a gallon is currently my daily intake.

    If you had a large prostate you may not have to worry about blood clots so much. For me it was a major factor especially since I had a small prostate , combined with swelling and blood clots. It was very hard for me to start a urine stream for the 1st 2 weeks.

    • Posted

      Said my size was 80 which surprised me. When getting DRE they always said it wasn't very big. Maybe 80 isn't considered big?

      No trouble starting, just bloody then clears up. Been drinking lots water and ice tea. Five to six 16 oz cups plus several cans of pop. Seems when drink 16 oz water straight down, doesn't take long Togo through.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.