Finally found the cause of my Prostatitis

Posted , 68 users are following.

After my 2nd test of just providing a semen sample, Staphylococcus was found to be my problem causing prostatitis.  This is good news to me since I have been dealing with this for 7 months and on and off for years.  I was on 2 weeks of Cipro and since it did not work and I am allergic to shell fish so Bactrim will not work, the doctor would like to administer the antibiotics via poss IV ABX, every day for 28 days.  The clinic is close by me thank God and will be in an out in an hour each day.  Does anyone have experience with this procedure for Bacterial Prostatitis?

5 likes, 212 replies

212 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Like you (and many men), I've had issues with prostatitis of/on for many years. All my urine samples were 'clean' (no evidence of bacterial infection) - but no one ever examined semen, nor would culture a urine sample. Did the doctors run any tests on your urine? 

• Edited

Yes, the urologist milked my prostate and I did a urine sample after he did.  The results were negivity on growth, white blood cells and everything else.  I kept having uriary pain so he ordered a Semen sample and another urine analysis for a urine DNA culter.  I am told that they find something 80% of the time using this method of Semon and urine DNA.  The first test showed nothing.  I have been dealing with chronic prostatitis for 8 years on an offer.  I finally went to the top Urologist in Tampa and he has this down.  No BS, I feel strongly that most all prostatitis is bacteria after this experiance.
    • Posted

Wow, can you even find a uro who will milk the prostate anymore? sad  I cannot.  And urine samples show virtually nothing. 

I do wonder if chronic prostatitis is present, won't it result in elevated white count or a differentiation of white cells that would signal the body's response to infection?

I would be willing - but certainly do not prefer it - to ejaculate into a sample container for my uro to culture the semen to rule out CP if he would refuse to milk the prostate to extract seminal fluid.

I do wonder if I haven't contracted CP following my biopsy two years ago.  sad

Looking for any help here, gentlemen.  Thank you all.

Michael

• Posted

My urine sample with milked prostate fluid show 0 WBC and 0 RBC and no growth so based on that, they are useless.  When my issues did not go away the doctor demanded a urine an semen sample.  When to the doctors, I asked for some lube, closed the door and did my thing. smile  No bid deal and 4 days later, the evil bug causing me more greef than I can cell you has been found.  No I need to go get a tube put in that allows for a month long treatment of IV antibiotics.  Go to the office every day for 28 days for an houre and let the meds do their thing. 

• Edited

Michael,

As long as they are keeping the tube in you, can't you persuade them to let you take the IV antibiotics at home? Doesn't sound all that complicated, and certainly a lot more convenient. Sometimes the docs treat us like children. I remember when B12 shots were the rage and I went in for one. I finally persuaded the doc to let me do it myself at home.

Jim

• Posted

Yes, I am going to ask for that.  I am needing my uro to send over the results so I can get in to get the ball rolling with the IV doctor.  I want this done yesterday and as usual, nothing moves as fast I want them to.  I have been dealing with this for 7 months so I keep reminding my self, one more day or two is not going to make a difference. 
    • Posted

The infectious desease doc made the decision to not send me home with IV meds continued. They had me do them for 5 days in hospital cause they needed to monitor how much of the meds stay in the blood stream and adjust dosage as needed. One med was every 8 hours, other every 12 hours. Blood work 2 times a day. The one med took 3 and a half hours to run. The other took 30 minutes. The meds are so rough on veins they had to restart the IV every day. Blows your veins out. They didn't know I was going to be on them 5 days or they would have run a picc line. Picc line they can run them in half the time.

• Posted

Staphylococcus infection that went MRSA after prostate surgery. Gave me slot of cipro that did nothing. Was resistant.
    • Posted

My appointment with the infectious desease doctor is at 8:00am.  I am told they have many different options to treat this and they will know best from my Urologist.   My Uro said S-Epidemidis is a rare form of Staph for prostatitis but he does see about 15 - 20 cases a year.  Said this is mainly found in skin infections, I don't know how I got it??? 

• Edited

Assuming you don't self cath, staph and bacteria are not uncommon in both doctor's offices and hospitals. Could be a procedure, exam table, break of sterile procedure with a DRE. 

I found a great urologist around 20 years ago. Only problem was the day afer my exam I got a boil like infection on my leg. The first time I didn't think much of it, the second time I decided his office/exam table is contaminated. I didn't go back.

Jim

• Posted

I should also add that this type of bacteria is fairly common on our skin, but it usually doesn't get into our prostate during normal day to day activities. 

Jim

• Posted

I definitely got mine in the hospital. Something in that OR was not clean. Couldn't find a lawyer to take the case. The time involved and docs and hospitals having the best lawyers makes it a tough case.

• Posted

I got my first "exotic" uti in the hospital. I was in for afib but was self cathing at the time. They wanted to put me on IV meds but I deferred treatment to my outside urologist who treated it conventionally. It kept coming back for some time. I should have taken the IV meds. I will avoid hospitals at all cost. They seem to have a "take out" department for germs and bugs. It's incredible how often both doctors and nurses break simple protocols. When you look under those white coats you see street clothes and dirty gym shoes. 

Jim

• Posted

Yeah I am going to do the IV thing so this will be gone for good I hope. Been dealing with this for too long. I heard they have a procedure that goes up through the penis to administer the antibiotics. We will see...
    • Edited

Isolation is basically gowns and gloves must be wore entering the room. I had a couple night nurses and one nutrition lady didn't bother to follow the rules. The nutrition lady would look around, then run in with my food and run back out saying she's holding her breath. MRSA is a contact thing. You can't catch it breathing it in. Lol. It's transferred by touch. MRSA is almost always contracted in hospitals. They say everyone has it now. But it's not a problem til it gets in your blood stream. Like threw open wounds or dirty surgical instruments. My swabs from November supposedly came back negative. But ones they just took didn't. So I still have it. Some say it can be cured. Others say once you have it, you always will have it. Only good thing is it guarantees me a private room. The IV meds were mean. They eat your veins up. Made my temperature jump up and down. Gave me a migraine Everytime. Wake up in the middle of the night soaked in sweat, freezing with a bad headache. Bunch of times I had to call the night nurse to change my sheets and give me a dry gown. Wash up and go back to sleep.

• Posted

Michael,

Can you give me the name of the Dr. in Tampa. I am right nearby,

• Posted

Infectious desease doc I saw was nice. Told me alot. Asked if I had any questions. Was real straight forward. He was actually from another hospital and health group in our area. The hospital I was in, there doc was on vacation. He had no problem telling me the hospital was at fault. Lol.
    • Posted

Yes sure. Dr Rafael Carrion at USF. I am now being treated at infectious disease of tampa.
    • Posted

Staphylococcus ?is a 'commensal' bacterium living in every man's urethra. It's a contaminant. It is not the cause of your problem. Google this exact phrase: "The Value of EPS, Semen and Urine Cultures CPPS"

• Posted

Yes, the bacteria found was Serratia Marcescens and was only found with the DNA test, not the two urine cutlers. 

• Posted

Remember there's alot of bacterias and such you always have that are non threatening, until they find a way in( blood stream etc). Then your in trouble. MRSA being one. They say most ppl have it but it's not a problem til it gets in. I was tested for mrsa before surgeries and didn't have it. Got a infection then tested positive for it. Now I have it. Test positive for it now Everytime. Hospitals are dirty places. Staff not following simple procedures can spread all kinds of stuff. It only takes 1 person to spread MRSA to hundreds of ppl in there. I have been in isolation a few times . Most staff follow procedures. A few don't at all. One was a lady who brought me my food! That lady was in every room on my floor. Also had night nurses changing IV bags not gowning up. Imagine the other stuff ppl have this person spread around. Or changing dressings (bandages) of others after leaving my room. They now have it as well.

• Posted

Can you let us know who the doctor is? I've been dealing with bacterial prostatitis for months now and it is very depressing. I'm at Florida resident also.

• Posted

michael, are you cured of you prostatitis? You mentioned you found the cause 11 months ago
    • Posted

Can you divulge this doctor's name, by chance? I too am suffering and live close to the Tampa area.

• Posted

can you tell me who the urologist was please? The one i'm going to just wasted $3000 and a year and a half of my time

• Posted

Hi, did anybody ever find the solution to this? I am having the same issue, did MRI, did blood work, urine analysis, that exam with camera...etc. Was on antibiotics for 4 months. Nothing resolved it. It comes and goes. Most painful is when I am sitting. Now I am starting with doxazosin 1mg,starting today.

Michael82149, and others, did you find any solution ?

• Posted

I have an interesting story relating to chronic bacterial UTI's that I've been suffering since 2017 following botched Urolift & BNI procedures that left me having to self catheterize four times daily.

I suffered a UTI at least once a month ever since the surgery despite following all relevant hygiene advice, and was constantly on antibiotics for at least 7-10 days per infection - cipro, bactrim, fosfomycin, even carbapenems for a couple of particularly nasty ESBL infections.

I also tried Urostim & Uromune sublingual vaccines with some respite, but after some time the usual cycle of a UTI every month or so re-occurred.

Anyway, back in early 2020, just as the pandemic was taking hold and prior to any vaccines being available I got talking to a neighbour, a senior doctor at a local hospital, and he mentioned that each year he himself took a BCG jab as an annual prophylactic against both bacterial and viral respiratory infections, and he often provided it to patients prior to the flu season with good results. He speculated that due to BCG providing long-term boosting of innate immune mechanisms it may offer some limited protection against Covid. Well, that was enough for me to get a BCG jab since I hadn't had one since I was a kid, and in the hope that if I did catch Covid then I might have a less severe experience.

Cutting to the chase, my experience has been that ever since I received the BCG, the frequency and duration of UTI's has significantly decreased to one infection every 6-8 weeks each requiring a maximum of 3 days antibiotic treatment. Now, my doctor has said he has never tried BCG for the treatment of UTIs (although interestingly it is a treatment for bladder cancer), is unaware of any studies that have tested its use against UTIs, and cannot say the reduction in UTIs is in any way linked to the jab, but is prepared to continue giving me a BCG injection once per month jab for six months to see if any further improvements occur.

• Posted

Tim urine culture test have nothing to do with prostate. Only semen culture test and Stamey's test( prostate fluid)

My general urine test were always OK. But my urine culture test showed Enterococcus once. I received wrong treatment and within time bacteria moved to my prostate. Stamey's test and semen culture found Enterococcus

• Posted

Hi Ted. I received IV treatment of Ampicillin. 25 days course. 3 times a day . 4 grams each drip. Ampicillin is relatively safe antibiotic. It is given to pregnant women. My Enterococcus was sensitive to it. But mind you different bacteria needs different antibiotics ( even different dose)

• Posted

Hello Michael,

You couldn't take Ampicillin orally?

I've had chronic uti s for two years now ever since I started self cathing. My urine cultures were always negative except one time it picked up enterococcus faecalis. At that point, I started on Ampicillin, but the uti keep recurring. When I ask my uro about a possible prostate infection, they that it's possible, but they don't do anything about it. They tell me it's most likely a uti since I am cathing. I don't know.

• Posted

Ted since Enterococcus has been found in my prostate fluid taking oral medication is less effective. When I tested my semen back in October last year ( Enterococcus small growth) my GP prescribed mi Ciprofloxacin orally. 5 weeks swallowing Ciprofloxacin didn't help. So my private Urologist decided it is pointless to continue down the same path. Oral antibiotics are more dangerous to your gut health and stomach in long run. IV goes straight in your blood stream.

How long have you taken oral Ampicyllin for?

Also let me assure you that your Urologist is wrong. UTIs are reoccurring because Enterococcus was never fully eradicated. It is the most difficult bacteria to cure as it is creating biofilms

• Edited

Ted I would like to add that the fact that your Urologist is ignoring your potential prostate infection is very unprofessional. He should be testing your semen and booking you Stamey's test straight away. Longer you gonna leave it then worst it becomes. You will end up with surgery (prostate removal) , potentially prostate cancer or serious kidney disease. Read about Enterococcus faecalis online. There is loads of medical articles written by various medical professionals. It is very dangerous bacteria. It is also causing heart inflammation. I had the same argument with my useless GP . Told him that this is potentially life threatening situation but he just looked at me like I'm crazy. Now I'm taking them to court over it ( medical negligence).

Treating only UTIs will not resolve your main problem

• Posted

Michael,

I was taking Ampicillin on and off for about a year and a half. In February I had a uti that wasn't resolving with it. My uro said that the cillins are more likely to cause bacterial resistance and he put me on Bactrim. That cleared it up, but since then, I had another uti.

Thanks for the feedback. Do all urologist do this Stamey test? They never said anything about it.

Ted

• Posted

Morning Ted.

It is difficult to find good Urologist. I rang at least 10 clinics in UK and none of them knew/offer Stamey's test. I literally had to lecture one receptionist over the phone about it and eventually she found me a Urologist willing to do it.

what are those cillins? do you mean biofilm?

So nobody never made antibiogram for ya?

To establish if bacteria is resistant to any drug you need to do professional culture test with antibiogram.

• Posted

Good morning Michael,

By cillins I meant amoxicillin, ampicillin, etc.

I never heard of antibiogram. It was never offered.

• Edited

OMG Ted! They have messed you up completely mate. But do not worry. Its never too late.

where you from Ted , remind me please. If from UK I could give ya few contacts for Semen culture test and so on.

Please consider changing your Urologist. He is talking nonsense. It doesn't matter what sort of antibiotics you are taking. Bacteria could become resistant to any of them.

Especially when you are taking them on/off. To be successful with prostatitis bacterial infection you must take antibiotic for very long time without a break. 6 weeks is minimum. Most people are taking it for up to 12 weeks! No break. Dosage matters too. I got 12g a day through IV. That is like 24 tablets a day mate!

Professional antibiogram is showing number of different antibiotics (mine is showing 10 antibiotics) which bacteria is not resistant to. 9n top of that is giving you calculations in term of MIC. In my case MIC for Ampicyllin is less then 2000 units

• Posted

in case you wonder what MIC means:

MIC is the minimum inhibitory concentration of antibiotic (drug) that prevent the bacteria to grow any more, while MBC is the minimum bacteriocidal concentration of antimicrobial which kill all bacteria. Likewise, what does MIC mean on culture? minimum inhibitory concentration

• Posted

ok. Ted in this case I would suggest you Google any local IVF clinic. They should be able to do semen culture test for ya. In UK you can order online kit and return sample back to them by post. You wait about a week for results.

• Edited

This message is for anybody who is struggling with prostatitis.

I'm going to explain few myths:

How can you get infected with bacteria other then ordinary STI? Such as Enterococcus/ E Coli/ others....

1. Through unprotected oral... yes you CAN.
      2. Through unprotected anal sex ? Yes U CAN.

Could your lovely lady be infected ( reoccurring UTIs?) Yes she could be. She need to establish that by doing number of swabs from vagina.

I personally came across two women who were undergoing IV treatment because they got seriously infected with bacteria and oral antibiotics didn't work any more .

Ordinary GP will tell you that bacteria which is causing UTI cannot be passed between lovers. It is rubbish. It can be and I'm the leaving example of it (as is my wife unfortunately).

• Edited

Thanks for all the good information.

I got my first uti 3 days after I had a prostate biopsy. I'm convinced that the bacteria was introduced then. But they tell me it's because of the catheter use.

• Posted

Michael can you share the Urologist you are seeing? I have the same pathogen identified but my urologist doesn't think that's the problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.