(18M) hair thinning and itchy scalp

Posted , 3 users are following.

I noticed my hair on the top of my head thinning first about 6 months ago, and has since gotten to the point separate family members, friends and teachers have all noticed it and commented. I'm 18. Going bald isn't something I should be worried about, let alone having to deal with, along with all the soical consequences and effects on my self esteem.

Recently, my scalp has started itching too. I use head and shoulders daily, So I know its not dandruff. I started to take Vitamin D supplements one a day a month ago, am yet to see or feel any difference in the thickness of my hair.

It's really affecting my self image and mental health and I would really like to get to the bottom of whats causing it and take measures to stop it and regain what I've lost.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hi David,

I understand your distress. Your first course of action is to see your Gp and get a full blood work to see if there's anything going on there. I would also get a referral to a dermatologist (preferrably one that specislises in hair loss). They will be able to assess you and give you a reason for the hairloss. The itching scalp could be a number of things, but again the derm should be able to help get to the bottom of that.

Best of luck!

• Posted

David, now I wouldn't want to publicly criticize any product but I strongly recommend you to stop the Head & Shoulders shampoo you are using ASAP. Do a little research and get some more natural and richer with vitamins shampoo.

You should get a blood test and specifically ask your biotin levels to be checked. Having low levels of biotin can be a cause of hair loss as was in my case. What I did was to eat more bananas, eggs and milk. These are items rich in vitamin H also known as biotin. I also started using biotin supplements and well, thankfully my hair loss has stopped.

But you should definitely get a blood test and consult a dermatologist

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.