(19F) Hair loss of scalp hair, eyebrows and eyelashes

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I'm a 19 year old student and ever since November of last year (2018) my hair started falling out more, subsiding a bit after like a month or so and now over the last month and a bit my hair has been thinning considerably. I used to have thick hair and now it is very fine - I am extremely scared that soon it will become noticeable or that I will end up bold seeing on how long it has lasted thus far. I got really stressed over university work in October, and then had a house move so I'm guessing it correlates, especially as my GP visits and blood tests (came back clear) have ruled out other causes (interesting given that I have not had my period for more than 2 years as well).

This situation feels impossible, even more so because my dandruff came back (before I used Head & Shoulders for them and it always calmed down the dandruff but with experimenting with hair loss shampoos it came back) and I feel horrible: the self-esteem is at an all time low and I have no motivation for anything anymore.

I'm taking biotin / fish oil supplements, trying to use new techniques to liven up my dead hair and trying to remain optimistic and positive however that is proving extremely hard. I'm also trying to eat more as my diet before was around 1500 - 1800 on any given day with a lower BMI and cut out exercise to allow my body to maybe rest and heal itself. I looked at dermatologists or other clinics seeing as my GP effectively said to wait it out, but the prices for consultations are sky high!

I'm scared to tie up my hair, wash it or brush it for fear of more falling out... the situation is also stressful for me as I am signed up to do a summer job abroad for three months and feel lost.

Any help or advice would be massively appreciated!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I think fixing your diet will help. You obviously were getting too thin if your periods stopped. You could get checked by a GYN for PCOS, but it does seem diet related. Did the doc check your ferritin (iron stores) levels?

You might want to consider a good Vit B Complex vitamin to take. Methylfolate (B6) and B12 so important. And a good multivitamin too. Fixing your diet and getting your weight up will help, and try some meditation for stress relief!

• Posted

My doc checked for PCOS but apparently i didn't have that either - I sincerely hope maybe it is diet and nothing else! Meditation and headspace are a daily ritual for me now! Thank you for the reply, I'll focus on getting more of the vitamins you mentioned xxx

• Posted

hi Weraz,

I'm so sorry you're going through this.

firstly, go back to your GP and tell them you want referred to a dermatologist - hair loss is a symptom, not a diagnosis. Also, GPs in my experience are heartless and don't take hair loss seriously, so try to be your own advocate. You say that you have explored other causes but don't state which? I think, given you haven't had a period in 2 years, that there is another systemic cause. You could ask for your GP to refer you to an endocrinologist before the derm - stating your lack of periods as the prompt and the hair loss as a potential symptom.

is your hair loss diffuse? Do you have patches? Do you have pain/burning/itching along with the loss?

Laura x

• Posted

Thank you for the reply Laura! I meant causes such as PCOS, vitamin deficiency (iron levels etc.) or thyroid issues due to the blood result tests done by the doc. I might go back again (It's near impossible to get seen by one!) and ask to be referred to a dermatologist.

It's thinning, and thankfully don't have any massive patches. I had a period of burning and do experience itching from time to time - didn't know whether it was because of dandruff or as a sign that more hair loss will occur, I can see that perhaps it was the latter unfortunately as the last couple of days it has been horrible!

• Posted

Hi - my college age daughter is going through the same thing. She does have low ferritin levels so I am hoping that will help. How ate you doing with your hair loss? Hope it has stopped shedding and your doing well?

• Posted

Since I was 15 I’ve suffered with a condition where my eyelashes and eyebrows fall out when I’m stressed and in the past year they’ve been so brittle since growing back that I’ve decided to do something about it. I kid you not within two days of using Eyelash Growth Dermalmd Serum, my lashes already look so much healthier and I can see the growth difference even though it’s a small amount. I can’t wait to see further results.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.