.#8718Jill

Posted , 5 users are following.

My question is having a revisonal knee surgery 4 months ago why does the rod in my knee bug me. Plus I cant sleep. They say it takes a year to feel better is this true.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had a revision done some 4 years ago and have suffered chronic lower leg pain ever since. All scans show everything is within normal parameters but the consultant thinks its end of stem pain and plans on breaking the Tibia bone and placing a steel plate onto this in order to stem ( pun intended ) the pain..... It's a trial and error job really, he's performed it once before and that was successful so your issue may well be similar.

• Posted

Thank you for responding. How do you sleep I dont get much sleep at all. I have good days and bad days. Do you still have alot of swelling. I haven been able to go back to work because of the restrictions I work in retail and stand most the time and climb ladders.

• Posted

Swelling wise isn't as bad now as it was two years ago when stationary, but it does swell up whilst moving about albeit the times I do get out and about are few and far between.

As for night time some are better than others, and one just adapts to the situation.

For me its been a long haul. I also ruptured my Extensor Mechanism and the recovery from that was far worse.

What does your consultant say about this?

• Edited

i had revision surgery 5 months ago and i have rods both above and below the knee and im not aware of them.

• Edited

I hope and pray I will be able to say exactly what you are saying.....

• Posted

Hi Martha,

I knew that i would have at least one rod below the knee prior to surgery. My understanding was as they remove the first knee that they are also removing more bone and that why the rods. The surgeon did say i might need one above the knee for stability. I have seen the xrays and the rods are large. I am travelling through an airport next week and will be interested in my body search and to see if the rods are detected.

One thing that i have noticed since this surgery is that I have to put a small pillow between my knees for sleeping. I cant get comfortable without it.

I have a check up with my surgeon on Thursday.

• Posted

Im getting my revision done in April... I had no idea the surgeon may put 'rods' in my leg. I have pre op appt next week. I have tons of questions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.