? about taking bp in both arms?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Is it true that a good cardiologist will take bp in each arm to make sure there is not more than a 10 point difference; and if there is this is a good sign the person is prone to a stroke or heart attack?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think I have had that done, but I'm pretty sure it was never explained why and I'm not certain which doctor(s) may have done it.  Given that the error on any reading is pretty close to 10 points, I have a hard time thinking it's much of a test of anything.

• Posted

No, I have been going to a hypertension centre for four years and they have done a lot of testing but BP always on the same left arm,
  • Posted

I've not had that done but my doc always takes a left arm sitting reading and then a standing one.

• Posted

Cardiologist took husband's blood pressure on both arms, exactly the same, even though he had serious heart failure issue.

As I understand it his system was balancing things out, and then 5 years later when his heart beat fell to 30BPM and during the night 23BPM, his blood pressure still stayed normal, lying flat at that point, as he could not sit up, got all dizzy and lightheaded, I really thought I was going to lose him, as cardiologists did not seem to be considering he had an electrical issue, they thought it was some tablets he was on, apparently that's exactly what they are supposed to do, drop your heart rate, but not to the level he was at.

?When Senior cardiologist arrived the following morning I tore strips off him and told him his junior cardiologists in the hospital were not doing their job correctly and needed to go back to medical school.

?To my surprise he agreed with me, told me infront of everybody in the room that I was right, and ordered the juniors to his office NOW!!!!, very white faces from the juniors, we never saw the juniors after that. 

Pacemaker installed a few hours later, husband sat up after it was turned on and announced to everybody he could breathe, with a big sign of relief, discharged the following day.

• Posted

This is correct, but that doesn't mean every cardiologist will do this.  Having a better than 10 point difference can be more indicative of more than just an indicator for a

future stroke or heart attack.  There are other conditions associated with such a finding as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.