(all) medications cause stomach pain but without any medications I feel fine, is this gastritis?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm on anti-depressants and i have fibromyalgia so i take some nerve medication for that. A few weeks ago I weaned myself off of all my medications because I started experiencing intense and constant pain any time I consumed anything. I tried to avoid triggers but it didn't work and I was in near constant pain that would even wake me up in the middle of the night and keep me awake for hours. I weaned myself off everything and as I weaned, my symptoms improved and were almost non-existent. I started seeing a new doctor and started a different treatment plan which includes omeprazole and a few other medications for depression and fibro, and it didn't take long for the pain to come back. This has happened to me with a lot of different medications. I was told it might be gastritis, but no remedies like tums, apple cider vinegar, etc ever work and I just have to wait it out. Anyone have any idea what this could be? Is it possible that I'm more susceptible to medication side effects (some of the medications I've been on while having these issues have chest pain as a side effect, it's usually listed as rare), or could it be that my stomach can't digest properly like gastroparesis and is exacerbated with medications which are difficult to break down? Any insight would be appreciated!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Discontinuing taking your medications without talking to your doctor about it is dangerous.

• Posted

If you wean off your medication slowly, you are less likely to get nasty side effects. This is standard medical advice and you may only need to see your doctor for tips on how much you should reduce your medication if unsure. However, you don't necessarily have to see your doctor to do this.

• Posted

It sounds like you have had medication side effects since you felt better when you weaned off your medication and got worse after trying medications again although different ones. Keep off all medications to see if you start to feel better. Apple cider vinegar is acidic and may increase acid reflux rather than help it. The nerve medications you are on can cause gut problems among other reactions; that's why I avoid them. Maybe try heat treatment for your fibro instead. Don't worry about other conditions or google symptoms because this will lead to anxiety. Instead, concentrate on the condition you know you have.

• Posted

If you feel better without medications..Why take them..? Do what you are more comfortable with...A lot of meds can actually make you feel worse,...also ,I was advised, not to take stomach tablets for more than a month, as they can cause stomach pain, Trial, and error here...stay off them, and see how you get on....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.