"Bone removal only" decompression, pros and cons?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, Folks - I'm brand new here. Got MRA results back on 8/1/16 saying "fullness in foramen magnum" got 2nd MRI to diagnose CM yesterday. I've got so many of the symptoms. Some have been with me since childhood, others began around 10 years ago, now, at age 50, I'm in bed much of the day and feeling surgery is likely to be my best shot at (hopefully) improved quality of life, and (fingers crossed) signficant recovery.

I read a great debate on another site about the pros and cons of "bone removal only" decompression. Apparently the recovery can be faster with this approach, and complications are said to be fewer. 

Those who think opening the dura is best cite less likelihood of regression, and need for repeat procedures as why the more invasive approach is better.

Do any of you have experiences to share, having had one or the other procedure? 

Thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

In my Chiari, I had a 4 cm tonsil on left side and 8 cm on the right side with it completely blocking the spinal canal.  I had the dura opened so they could go in an cauterize the tonsils so they would shrink back up into the skull. I think you have to open the dura if there is something like this that needs to be corrected. 

So they put a dural patch on it after they cauterized it. 

Post surgery, I didn't have any complications other than nausea (from the narcotics received in hospital) and dry heaves. I'm 57. So I blame all my other illnesses on the Chiari. 

Hope this helps and Good Luck!!

• Posted

Hi Brinn,

I just have my decompression  - invasive one, open the dura and cauterize my tonsil - my neuro surgeon Mr Flint, did not put dura as he said its less complications - hence that was 3 months ago, I am drug free (thanks GOD) not even paracetemol - I personally said: ''get the op as soon as you can.'' do not leave it too long

• Posted

Congratulations, b2wc97455 - this is great news! Like you, I want the best possible outcome, and as soon as can safely be done. Thanks for educating me about the approach your surgeon took with the dura. Sounds like a very smart way to go.
    • Posted

If you are in the UK, you could ask your gp to refer you to him - he is inn Q.E  Birmingham - GOOD LUCK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.