Skip to content
Ad

Chiari Malformation

Also known as Arnold-Chiari Malformation

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Please help

Hi my name is Kayla my best friend has chiari he feels alone and we need help and support from someone who has chiari to start communicating with a support group 

Last reply
  • Chiari type 1 diagnosed

Hi, I've just been diagnosed with chiari type 1 with syrinx after 21 mths of symptoms which were 1st treat as carpal tunnel progressing to possible disc herniation. My physio was actually the catalyst in my seeking other diagnosis as she didn't think my symptoms could fully be explained without...

Last reply
  • Does this sound/look like Chiari?

Hello! I've (25 y/o male) been dealing with quite a few unexplained neurological symptoms since the end of May of this year. I haven't received any answer(s) as to what would explain all of them, and I'm getting quite frustrated. There hasn't been a single day where I've felt normal...

Last reply
  • Arnold chiari came back and can it be associated with brain clots?

Okay so long story but in 95 when I was 4I had to have decompression surgery and then a few months later during my fifth birthday hospital stay  they had to go back in and fix it. But everything was better for a bit, seizures went away, I could breathe, eyes didn't bug out, neck pain was gone,...

Last reply
  • Chiari 1 surgery advice

Hi all! I’m new to this and wanted some help/advice. I am a 26 year old female and found out my symptoms are Chiari related. I have daily headaches, vertigo, nausea about 3/4 times a week, I stumble at least once a day and sometimes my face gets tingly/numb. The doctor ultimately left it up to me if...

Last reply
  • My boyfriend has chiari and i need help

Today we were on the phone and he was talking then randomly said something off subject. then he laughed thought it was funny and i was worried about him so i started looking it up but couldn’t find anything. Then not even 5 minuets after that he said something random again and i’m really worried about...

Last reply
  • Any successful stories?

Hi everyone! I am a 28 year old female. I was recently diagnosed with Chiari 1 malformation in August of 2017. I've had migraines since 2012 that were stable until about a year ago. My migraines have progressively gotten worse over the last year. It has become so frequent that it is beginning to...

Last reply
  • POSITIVE POST: Here to help!

I probably know less than most people on this site in technical terms, but I would love to try and help anyone struggling with their diagnosis or symptoms in any way I can. I'm a 21 year old female and was diagnosed with severe Arnold Chiari and syringomyelia on Halloween of my freshman year of college...

Last reply
  • Diagnosed with Chiari Malformation Type 1

Hi I recently was diagnosed with Chiari Malformation type 1 with tiny syringomyelia. I have compared many other MRI's to mine and thankfully my syringomyelia doesn't seem to be as large as some others can be. Im only 19 years of age and this worries me. When I was a baby I had meningitis...

Last reply
  • Fed up

Hi my daughter has been told she has a 6.5cm chiari and that her headaches and tiredness are not related to her chiari, we are know being referred to a new neurologist has anyone else had this problem or ideas on how to relieve symptoms?

Last reply
  • Chiari Decompression surgery

Hello All...... I promised I would write again with an update after my surgery.... so, here I am! I had my Chiari Decompression Surgery 12 days ago now. Honestly, it was a hard choice to make, (I have 3 children & a wonderful husband too of course!) I suffered for more than 7 years after my first...

Last reply
  • Can a lumbar puncture cause Chiari Type 1?

I just got back the results from a brain MRI. "Low-lying cerebellar tonsils are noted with findings consistent with Chiari Type I malformation". The report also says: "Relative lack of cerebral spinal fluid at foramen magnum". A few months ago I endured a horrible lumbar puncture...

Last reply
  • DOES ANY ONE HAVE A SUCCESS STORY TO SHARE

Hi there, I am chiarian and waiting for my surgery...I read this story..seems that majority of this members although they are having surgery but they still having symptom ...is there any of you..that have symptom free at all or what you call it..SUCCESS STORY?? can you please share with us..or even...

Last reply
  • How to be prepared for Chiari ?! Before, during and after

Hi everyone !  Iv’e recently been diagnosed with Chiari in June of this year and since then Iv’e had to stop working and my symptoms just keep getting worse . I finally met my surgeon this month who wants to see me again in two months for a final MRI and discussion on the operation .  I’m so...

Last reply
  • I dont know how to feel.

I finally saw the neurosurgeon last week and wants me to get a CT scan of my neck to get a better look. Ive had a fusion  c4-c7. My xrays and MRI do show nerve damage on left side of neck, which he thinks is the cause of my tremors and overall limb problems. I was finally validated that i do have...

Last reply
  • I need a diagnosis

Hello, I just joined this forum and after reading several threads I feel like I need to start my own. I am a 25 year old male and actually work at a fairly large trauma hospital in Texas. I have had headaches my whole life, some lasting up to a week or so but my mom always just said that “they run in...

Last reply
  • Post op done, Op next week

Hello all  You may recognise my name. Fairly new to this site but have added a few comments hear and there :-)  Any who, I had my pre-op yesterday for my decompression surgery.  All went well and am just waiting for my op date but have been told it will be next week. Got to admit, am nervous....

Last reply
  • 4 weeks post op

4 weeks post op head feels but funny today didn't sleep well. How long did you guys have to wait for irnpost op check up? My hospital letter said 4 weeks but not heard anything so called nd and now been told it's 4 months. Is this normal

Last reply
  • hi, ive recently been diagnosed with chiari malformation type 1

im 27 and have suffered really bad pains for 3 years and now the doctors have decided to investigate and have diagnosed me with chiari malformation type 1 but my symptoms are quite bad my operation is in 4 weeks and im worried about it due to past experiences can anyone help with how they felt and how...

Last reply
  • Chiari malformation confused

7 months ago I came down with 24/7 dizziness ( never goes away) pain in the back of my head that will radiate to the front, my vision seems fuzzy, head feels fuzzy, my neck clicks, I feel so ill. I have been on a journey to find a answer. I went to the eye doc and he said I had swollen optic nerves and...

Posted
  • 3days post chairi decompression

Well i had my surgery on friday. Ns is very pleased with how it went and with my recovery still very sore havent eating anything but toast lol but so far all good just thot id let yous all no how i got on x

Last reply
  • Jst over 2week post op

Just a curious question is it normal for the right side of my head to feel numb or to get a pain in it i didnt have this before surgery. Feel like im recovering good but this is annoyin feeling 4 week check up still havent had my app thru yet but still 2weeks to go till its 4weeks

Last reply
  • CM advise and answers. My story.

Hi i am a 21 year old female. I have recently just had an MRI scan as i was getting intense burning sensations in my head with eye pain and numbness and so on my head is also sore to touch,neck pain etc. My results came back clear yet i was told i had chiari malformations type 1 but my doctor didnt say...

Last reply
  • I have Chiari: You're going to be ok! My story

Hey everyone I'm Cheyenne and I had my Chiari 1 Malformation decompressed yesterday in the early hours of 7:30 am.  Ironically, September is Chiari Malformation Awareness Month... so represent us Chiarians by wearing some purple or a purple ribbon.   So here is my story: When I was in...

Last reply
  • Borderline low lying cerebellar tonsils

Recently had an MRI for loss of smell and the results showed borderline low lying cerebellar tonsils at 4mm. Doctor says this is fine and were present in an MRI I had 12 years ago. This was never mentioned to me before and probably wouldn't have been this time but I read the report. Is this normal...

Last reply
  • Recurrence of Chiari malformation

I had decompression 6 years ago for a servere malformation. Recently I have been getting similar symptoms to those I had before my operation . Can a malformation grow again after decompression? I would not like to go through the operation again.

Last reply
  • Chiari

Does cspine mri without contrast saying mild sagging cerebral tonsils mean?  I've had history of back head pain ringing ear dizzy notcwell feeling pressure etc 

Last reply
  • Chiari malformation & pop rocks

Pop rocks are going off in my head. I'm a 47 year old female and have been going downhill with this battle for too long. This most likely sounds crazy I thought I was at first I had decompression surgery for my chiari back in 2000 I was told by surgeon I would be fine it was gone surgery was successful...

Last reply
  • Cine Flow MRI in UK Chiari malformation

Has anyone had a private cine flow MRI in the UK to look for CSF blockage/chiari malformation? If so where was this done? I have no NHS help and am looking for a private facility anywhere in the UK offering this type of scan. 

Last reply
  • Neurologist Refuses to Treat

I was diagnosed with Chiari Malformation almost 2 years ago. I am very symptomatic - migraines, constant pressure in my head that changes with the weather, lethargy, weakness in my muscles, tingling in my extremities, memory issues, pain in my neck and upper shoulders and difficulty sleeping. I finally...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.