Skip to content

Chiari Malformation

Also known as Arnold-Chiari Malformation

Can you help? Discussions needing a reply

All discussions in this group

Next
  • I don’t know what to do!

I am male Currently 33 yo I had decompression surgery  around 1996 or ’97, I was told that I had had Chiari 1 Malformation and my spinal cord was fused to my top vertebrae. I never had any pain from the Chiari, just a stiff neck before having any surgery (nothing that couldn’t be helped...

Last reply
  • Symptoms Post-Op Dizziness

Hello. Just found this site and I'm hoping for some help. I am 2 weeks post op from Chiari Decompression with C1 Laminectomy. I am having pretty severe dizziness/lightheadedness. Was this normal after your surgery? I thought it was meds so I stopped taking most a week ago. My pupils were fully...

Last reply
  • Chiari & No insurance, No surgery

Hey everyone, so I was diagnosed with Chiari in 2016 after I finally decided to go to my PCP and tell her that for a year my face, hands and feet were going numb along with headache, especially the ones that felt like I was getting hit with a bat in the back of the head when I coughed or laughed to hard...

Last reply
  • Complications after decompression surgery

I had decompression surgery 3 weeks ago. Leg pain rough for the 1st 3 days. After that felt great. 2 days after my Staples came out I got the flu. Just recovering now. But my Right side hip to foot have pain. Any answers what I should do next.

Last reply
  • 4 month post op i think

I has decompression in september 2017 i was fine for first wee while but past 4 weeks iv had bad head pain in left side near temple when i move head sometimes to left i get pains in neck or head anyone else have this problem? My ns app isnt till march 12th iv been pit on diferent meds n still dont really...

Last reply
  • Nausea after eating

So recently I have been feeling unbelievably sick after food, I am heaving really bad and sometimes even being sick, I was recently diagnosed with Chiari Malformation with a 7mm drop seen a neuro surgeon and was told my symptoms at the time was nothing to do with it, they was (at the time) pain and numbness...

Last reply
  • Anyone with Chiari suffer from constant fatigue?

Hello I have had issues for many years now.  Headaches, dizzyness/vertigo, tinnitus, you name it.  The absolute worst thing I suffer from is chronic fatigue.  I am always tired, I cannot hold a job full-time because I will just pass out.  It doesn't matter how much or little I...

Last reply
  • Chiari and back problems

Hello people, I am really curious if anyone with a chiari and without a syrinx have problems with his back. Pain between shoulder blades and a generall stifness on the hole back. Lower back also..when you sit in the car or just lay on your bed constantly this stiffness..and this stiffness became progresivelly...

Last reply
  • Difference between chiari symptoms and migraine

This time last year I was suffering with weakness in my left leg and tingling/numbness in my foot and had progressive weakness in my left arm.  I had an MRI of my back and head which showed a 4mm protrusion from my brain as well as prolapsed discs at L4/5 and L5/S1, T8 and T6 and C4 and 5. ...

Last reply
  • Arnold Chiari

Hello , I had surgery 12 yrs ago and have been experiencing some painful symptoms. For instance when I am active like gardening, cleaning  or exercising , I have severe pain in between my shoulder blades , neck and shoulders. Also when I move around like this and sit down and try to stand up it's...

Last reply
  • New Symptoms 2 Years Post Op?

My daughter is 15 and had decompression surgery in December 2015. Her MRI at one year was fine. In the last few months she gets dizzy walking (not one for standing up) and blurred vision. She’s never had these before. We were blessed that her only symptoms prior to surgery for her headaches. She...

Last reply
  • After Surgery

Hi there,  I am posting on behalf of my husband as he is not well enough to sit and type.  He has surgery on Oct 26th for Chiari type 1. The first week after surgery he did really well but week 2 was terrbile. He was suffering an increase of headaches, increase of nauseous and just not able...

Last reply
  • Help for Chiari

Anyone have experience or verified results regarding the information in this article? http://www.drjohnbergman.com/disease/chiari-malformation-arnold-chiari/

Last reply
  • 5 day long headache should I go somewhere?

Hi I was told in 09 I think that I had a chiariuk type 1 I forgot the other details as my clinic didn't really tell me more, so everything I've learned is from the web, which is quite scary. Anywhooo im currently having a headache episode which seems to be going into day 5 tomorrow as it's...

Last reply
  • Anyone have symptoms come back after decompression surgery

I had decompression surgery in July '16. It felt good not to have pain afterwards. Just recently after Christmas my symptoms came back. Migraines, blurred vision, loss of balance and so on. My neuro surgeon told me symptoms might come but didn't know that soon. I'm getting a second MRI done...

Last reply
  • Chiari malformation surgery 2 weeks ago

Hello, I had decompression surgery 2 weeks ago for Chiari malformation type 1. The first week was fine, some nausea and discomfort but mostly bearable. The second week however I am experiencing excruciating headaches every day. Every time I cough, sneeze etc I get this surge of pain that hits...

Last reply
  • My Chiari Experience and Surgery Brain & Nerves

I feel my first symptoms were bad headaches in my 20's. I didn't show positive for Chiari until 2010 (menopause) when It was a 1 Centimeter. I had large moments lapse of memory. I was losing my IQ. Math I was having problems. Most neurologists didn't understand me. Finally I saw a Neuro Surgeon...

Last reply
  • Surgery in september

Surgery was september last year so like 4 months ago all started oki but now when i yawn i get bad pains at my right hand side of head still feel super grumpy and tired n head aches quite alot anyone else still have this 4 months after op. The bak of my head like my accual skull feels strange not sore...

Last reply
  • I was Diagnosed with chiari malformation in September

Hello, I was diagnosed with Chiari Malformation this last September after having suffered from symptoms for about a year and a half. My herniation of the cerebellar tonsil is 2 cm. In the four months since September I have begun having more symptoms and more frequently. About a week ago I met with my...

Last reply
  • Chiari type 1 diagnosed

Hi, I've just been diagnosed with chiari type 1 with syrinx after 21 mths of symptoms which were 1st treat as carpal tunnel progressing to possible disc herniation. My physio was actually the catalyst in my seeking other diagnosis as she didn't think my symptoms could fully be explained without...

Last reply
  • Do I have Chiari

I received my MRA report before my appointment and I’m wondering if these results are positive for Chiari. I’m having a hard time deciphering the results. Is this what the MRI shows when testing positive positive for Chiari. I have a follow up with my neurologist next week. Just wanted to some insight....

Last reply
  • Does this sound/look like Chiari?

Hello! I've (25 y/o male) been dealing with quite a few unexplained neurological symptoms since the end of May of this year. I haven't received any answer(s) as to what would explain all of them, and I'm getting quite frustrated. There hasn't been a single day where I've felt normal...

Last reply
  • One doc say 1 thing and another says something else!

My entire life i had issue's with headache's,dizziness,concentration, memory, periods where i would get so dizzy i pass out, I would tell my doctor about my symptoms and she would always blame it on my back, cuz i have also always had issue's with that, i was diagnosed with scoliosis when...

Last reply
  • Not got many symptoms what are your thoughts

Hi everyone, just a little bit about myself I’m a 22yo femail and have recently found out that I have Chiari Malformation type 1 has really bad neck shoulder top back & arm pain since may so bad a mri and came back with Chiari, but other than the original reason for my mri I have been having panic...

Last reply
  • Confused about many things :(

Hello everybody. Since 2012 i have been diagnosed with hydromyelia from about C4 to T7 - My scans have been evaluated by 3-4 different neurosurgeons, and they are all a little blurry when asked about if i also have the chiari malformation, but their final statement is that i don't. I am still convinced...

Last reply
  • ChiAri 1 Malformation

I was diagnosed with ChiAri back in June...I had all the symptoms but then they stated I had CSF leakage... so they put all the focus on tht...now to tell me 2 Drs later tht they can’t find the leak anywhere & they are not concerned about the low pressure now. 🤦🏾‍♀️ I’m at lost......

Last reply
  • Can valsalva maneuvers trigger Arnold chiari?

I have been diagnosed with idiopathic syrengomyelia. My Mri scans shows syrinx within the thoracic section. However my physicians states that there is no chiari malformation present, which i have a hard time believing whereas i have many of the symptoms related to it. I know that valsalva maneuvers as...

Last reply
  • Diagnosed with Chiari Malformation 1

Hi there, I was diagnosed with Chiari Malformation yesterday with a herniation of 9mm. I've had headaches and dizziness everyday for about 15 years now and doctors keep telling me its stress. Also sleep apnea, panic attacks, pins and needles etc ... I had an MRI yesterday and was told I had ACM....

Last reply
  • New To This (at least having a name to my symptoms)

I've fairly recently been diagnosed with chiari malformation 1. Looking back, I've had tell- tale symptoms for over a decade... but only within the last few months have I had debilitating headaches that never go away. I live in constant fear of sneezing, coughing or laughing because the headache...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.