5mm cerebral ectopia / Chairi malformation

Posted , 3 users are following.

I saw a neurologist today who says I don't meet the criteria for CM1 even though my two ct scans and mri scan have all shown a 5mm protrusion of my cerebellum and the past few months I have been suffering daily with the symptoms. The neurologist said he thinks I am suffering with chronic migraines and that is what is also causing my headaches stabbing pains in my head, dizziness brain fog, unsteadyness etc and once I have my migraines under control all my other symptoms should stop too.

He is prescribing me a nasal spray and a prevention medication to treat migraines and says my symptoms aren't coming from my cerebellar ectopia and that I also don't need to have it followed up or rescanned all I need to do is follow up with the headache clinic.

Any advice or similar experiences?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hello

how are thibgs going since you posted this ? i had the exsct same thing i have all chiari sypyoms but neurologist diagnosed me with migraine with aura and iv been on all sorts of medications for past 2 years which none have helped . i am on waiting list for ENT but a seen a new consultant and they are finally looking into chiari but want me refered to a new neurologist to start from scratch .

• Posted

I have a 22mm protrusion and very few symptoms - I was diagnosed after experiencing consistent dizziness for several months in 2014. I was then also diagnosed with astygmatism and the dizziness went away. It's totally possible your headaches are not related, but really there's very little that can be done to help you until all other causes have been ruled out - you definitely don't want to jump to surgery when it might not even solve the problem. I'm actually experiencing a resurgence of the dizziness now and we're trying to figure out what to do about it, but even with my significant protrusion the doctors aren't positive chiari is the cause.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.