At What Point Did You Decide On Surgery?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnosed almost a year ago and my symptoms have been increasing in the past few months. I want to avoid surgery as long as possible, I don't even know if I am qualified for decompression surgery, but I am curious at what point did others decide surgery was the best option? Was it soley based on Dr recommendation? Or was there a breaking point that you decided if you got to then you would agree with surgery?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I have had symptoms for 15 years, but was finally diagnosed 2 years ago with a 7mm herniation. The neurologist told me not to seek out a surgeon with my then current symptoms (hearing loss, vocal issues, balance, numbness and tingling, headache). My plan was to avoid surgery and hope it all went away. I am now talking to a neuro surgeon, and slated for early January to start the process. I decided to seek out surgery when my heart started to be affected. If I bend over too long or hold my head a certain way, I will go into SVT. This has landed me in the ER with a heart rate of 220 and BP of 200/100. Chiari has not affected my breathing so far, but I would assume that any symptoms that affect breathing, swallowing, or your heart would be strong indicators.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.