Chiari decompression

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can anyone who has had a chiari decompression let me know their thoughts on the procedure and specifically the recovery? I'm a mom to 4 young kids so I am worried about what my life will look like after the surgery. I have had minimal symptoms to date and just discovered I had the chiari but given how long the syrinx is, have decided I probably need the surgery to minimize any future damage to my spine. Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had the 5 hour decompression surgery here in the US.  Scary, with long recovery, only to see my symptoms come back within 4 weeks.  Many are helped with surgery, but unfortunately most see their symptoms come back because the cause of the Chiari is not addressed.  Current US medical ideology is that 15% of patients with Chiari have a tight filum (tethered cord) and this tightness pulls their hindbrain down causing the herniation.  However, Dr. Paolo Bolognese, a New York neurosurgeon who performs the tethered cord surgery, did follow up MRI's on hundreds of patients and found MOST found relief from said surgery and he found an average upward migration of 3.5 millimeters for the Chiari herniation.  I had my surgery done from the staff of the neurosurgeon in Spain who discovered/perfected this.  He labels it as "Tight Filum Terminal Dissectum" surgery.  Please do your research on both the decompression surgery and the filum surgery.  God Bless, Steve

• Posted

Hi stephanielee

It reads like I am exactly the same position as you, I’m sorry I cannot offer you advice, but I too would be intrigued to know, if there any positive outcomes on this post too! 

• Posted

coming from someone who has had the surgery if your symptoms are minimal i would not do it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.