What causes your flare-ups?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive notice time and time again, anytime I'm stressed out, exhausted or over worked my symptoms flare up and I mean all of them. The headaches, numbness in my face, feet, hands, pain in my neck and back. Racing heart thanks to SVT now, slurred speech, confusion.. the list goes on. My symptoms will last for days and wont stop until I stop. Lately I've been working a lot, I have a full time job and a part time jobs so I have NO days off and my body is going crazy!! I'm only working the part time jobs to help the facility out for a short time, I have yet to actually have a full drop attack but the rate I'm going, it feels like I will have one soon. Do you notice that different things cause your symptoms to flare-up too??

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

did u have a surgery to try to fix this?

Report Reply
    • Posted

No, you have to Health insurance to have surgery. Which my job does not provide and right now I'm one of those lucky Americans who make to much money for assistant but yet i cant afford to buy my own insurance cause I live paycheck to paycheck some weeks. So I've been just waiting and its been 3 years now since my symptoms started. I do okay most of the time, unless like I said im over doing it.

Report Reply
  • Posted

• Yes!!! My symptoms flare up when i am stressed, exhausted, or overly active, i can't even bend over without getting so light headed and dizzy, I always have a headache tho just most day's it's mild and tolerable, but when my symptoms flare up they are so severe i can't keep my eyes open, can't be around light. Sounds, the littlest movement or touch makes me vomit, That's not even to mention all the other symptoms like confusion, balance, speech, numbness in face, back, leg's, hands and feet, forgetfulness, nausea, and Pain, those are the main one's sometimes i have a few other that happen like when i would be walking my body would pull to the right or the left, that's around when i first got diagnosed with Chiari, i s told i needed a full body/back MRI but my doctor won't order it for me, because she says it's too much radiation, but i feel something is wrong, the numbness and tingling in my back are getting worse. I just wanted to reply and tell you that you are not alone. Try to keep yourself calm, ask your doctor about topamax it has really helped for me besides the numbness and tingling i have but with the headaches i haven't had a sever one in awhile, i an i always have a pressure headache but it is very mild compared to what i usually had 5 days out of a week.....Good Luck!!!
    Report Reply
    • Posted

I am on topamax, ive been on it almost 2 years now. I'm also on Metoprolol ER for my SVT and i have a muscle relaxer i take at night for my neck and back pain. I think the medicine is the only reason I've made it this far.

Report Reply
    • Posted

I dont think MRI's emit harmful radiation, you may want to double check that online and with your doctor. i think u can get as may mri's as you need. i got like 4 within 2 months

Report Reply
    • Posted

I am also on Topamax for my headaches, Gabapentin for pain and i have to agree if it wasn't for the medication i don't think i would've made it this far, i still have bad day's where i am so weak, tired, dizzy, and in so much pain, and nothing i take helps, If I didn't have my fiance i don't know where i would be, he is a huge support. Hope everything works out for you!

Report Reply
  • Posted

Most major syndromes and illnesses can be linked to inflamation...including Chiari. When we put my daugher on a low sugar and gluten free diet for ashtma, I went on said diet also for empathy so she would feel she was not the only missing out on foods normally used to eat. Well, this diet is anti-inflammatory and did wonders for my Chiari symptoms...because it helped reduce inflammation and helped reduce cortisol levels linked to wheat and sugar intake. Miracle for her, greatly helped me. Also, I had Chiari decompression surgery and it did nothibng for me...like for most. But, then I had filum terminal dissectum surgery...which is basically a 2 inch incsion abover your intergluteal cleft (butt crack) and it got me out of bed and living living live wonderfully. Research said dissectum surgery. Gets rid of the cause of Chiari for most who have the surgery, unlike decompression surgery which is a tempoaray bandaid. God Bless and know that HOPE can be found, and you do not need to live the rest of your life with the symptoms.

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up