"Chapped lips" feeling back (ugh) w/reduced hormone cream.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was told to cut back on the 1 - 2 grams, inserted with the applicator, after 2 weeks but I find the reduced amount just doesn't do it and I get the irritating "chapped lips" feeling down there when I walk.

'Can't stand that!

Any recs for an effective moisturizer for that area?

Thanks.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

An awful lot of women use coconut oil . I did before using the hormone cream. My gyn is very pro C.O.

It's a lot thinner than vaseline, but maybe you need it thicker.

Or ask your doctor about using less hormone cream but more often. I don't have any dry feeling when walking. It's like shooting a moving target. Good luck.

• Posted

since i first posted this question, i have done a lot of research and seen a few doctors, including a second gyno opinion, a holistic general practitioner, and a naturopath. I'll share what ive learnt so far:

dont insert any applicators into the vagina, you dont want the cervix to absorb the product into the uterus. throw the applicators away, and only moisturise into the vagina a small way as well as the outer walls & labia area. various articles to back this up including highly referenced by Dr JOHN EDEN, 'vaginal atrophy and sexual function',Issue 15, www.healthed.com.au show this research article to your doctor if they are not well informed.

Massage the same abovementioned area with either natural yoghurt (probiotic), coconut oil, or even olive oil. I have been advised to add a quarter of the powder from a FEMEX capsule, then just swallow the rest of the capsule.

Increase your vit B6 intake, it activates positive hormonal health. also OMEGA-7 foods.

its something to do with the lymphatic system that absorbs inflammation from the lower bowel which needs balancing. Acid comes from the lower gut and strips the natural moisture from the nether regions! The mucus membranes in the vaginal area need a less inflammatory response, so it just doesnt become dry by itself, its a response from the lower bowel, but initially from the lymphatic system. does that make sense? Im no medical guru, but its slowly making some sense. treat the cause first and hopefully the symptoms will improve.

so ive only just commenced this new health idea, im open to anything now! The mona lisa treatment did not work for me, there was no improvement, so willing to try anything!

Love to hear your thoughts girls?

• Posted

just wanted to add, that oestrogen creams shouldnt be inserted into the vagina either, no need, just a little massaged around the outer area, will be absorbed adequately where its needed.

• Posted

Hmmmm. But that is what the instructions tell you to do......with the applicator and all...

• Posted

How to apply might depend on where most of the discomfort is. I was told to use a small amount externally every night, but many women use it internally with an applicator. Would guess there isn't a right or wrong way. My doc believes in going with the smallest amounts and weaker dosages and work up if needed. She said this specifically re steroid cream.

• Posted

Try the "Fingertip Application Method for Estrogen Cream". Instructions per my doctor as follows:

Wash your hands with soap and water. Dry throughly. Squeeze enough to cover 1/2 of your index finger. Locate the vaginal opening. Immediately above the vaginal opening is the urethra( a small opening where urine is eliminated from your body). Carefully spread the cream onto the external vaginal/urethral area. As cream is spread, some may be gently inserted into the vagina. However, it is not necessary to push cream high into the vagina.

First 2 weeks, every night, then 2-3 times week.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Beverly and LInda....tomorrow is my birthday and I got my present today!

So miserable from having had a hot bath and over indulged in merlot last night - I really had the "chapped" problem today when walking.

Then I did a bit of research and found other products that can be inserted into the vagina for moisturizing.

I remembered I had an old box of Carlson Key-E suppositories in the medicine cabinet and whipped one in their - instant relief.

I will still use the Estradiol small amount but will supplement with Carlson's - so gentle and no side effects.

'Can't say that about Estradiol as I've had a few problems with that.

Oddly, I never had a problem with Estrace but have had some issues such as burning and urinary frequency with Estradiol, the generic version of Estrace.

• Posted

ro, your issue with the estradiol may be the base cream. I have been using one from a compounding pharmacy and chose a base cream with no preservatives. As I understand it the preservatives can cause a reaction. However. I'm coming to the end of the tube and as I have a new insurance company I can now get the generic Estrace (with a co-pay, of course). Will see if I react to that. Even the preservative free one makes me sore so I take a night off about once a week or so. Don't have high hopes for the generic but will give it a try. I also have a tube of estriol which is supposed to be milder all around. My gyn was perfectly willing to prescribe it. Said it's very popular in Europe (I assume not so in the US). I stupidly did not pack it in my suitcase so won't get to try it till I return home in a month.

Not sure if I should try alternating them. Will have to ask the doc. I feel like a guinea pig. Interesting new info from mria.

• Posted

I always feel like a test case.

Estradiol is the generic for Estrace so I'm told.

No urinary problems? Lucky Duck!!

Are you in the States?

• Posted

Yes, I am in the US. I don't have urinary problems, but have LS now along with atrophy so the world lucky doesn't come to mind. All we can do is try to find out the best ways to manage whatever we've got, but it sure does take a LOT of time. I have spent the evening checking out the Australian site that mria was somehow able to post. Every time I've posted a link it has been blocked. Anyway there is no way to search for a specific topic on that site so I have literally spent hours going through a lot of info. Finally found one on LS and will try to post it though I'm hardly optimistic that it won't be blocked.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.