🤔Diet for Anxiety?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Anyone found improvement with a new diet approach?  Who’s a comfort eater here?  Me too! After 10 years of trying all the meds,  I’m willing to try anything for an ounce of relief.  I’ve read a lot recently about how sugar is the culprit for worsening anxiety and depression symptoms.  There are articles and reports from trials at Harvard and Mayo Clinic that sugar is no one’s friend when it comes to anxiety.  While I know this on some level- is Paleo really necessary?  Many seem to think so due to several hormonal and cortisol reasons.  I’m maybe willing to try but my reliance on food as sometimes my only friend, it will feel depressing to eventually cut out ALL dairy, sugar and most carbs, forcing myself to eat foods like sauerkraut and pickled kimchi which I find  repelling.  You get my point...

I’d love to hear your feedback.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I think bananas, peanuts, walnuts and almonds are supposed to be quite good for depression. Also oily fish are supposed to be good. I take multi vitamins and minerals because I have had deficiencies in some vitamins and minerals in the past and that can affect your mood and you pee out what you don’t need! I don’t know any specific diet, it is good to avoid alcohol if you are feeling really low though. Also cutting back caffeine and sugar is a good idea, I wouldn’t say give things up altogether though because then you crave things and are more likely to overdo it later. Just everything in moderation.
    • Posted

Thanks Moon, sometimes you need that reassurance of “everything in moderation,” instead of going to extremes.  My psychiatrist just retired, and I found a psychiatrist of Functional Medicine in my area- meaning she not only prescribed meds but also changes your diet/vitamin supplements/gut bacteria and reviews said he puts most people on Paleo because he believes inflammation of the body and brain is largely linked to most mental illnesses including Anxiety and Depression.  I probably won’t see that person, but.... just wondering.  Thanks for feedback.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.