....double vision rapidly getting worse!

Posted , 9 users are following.

As I've posted before, I'm having serious double vision in my right eye. I've got an appointment next Tuesday with surgeon to discuss needed surgery.

Until then, is it common to have a dramatic increase in problem eyesight in a relatively short period of time?

I've also been noticing the past couple nights, that when I sleep on my right side (I'm a side sleeper), when I awake, the double vision is HORRIBLE, I think from having been laying on my right cheek.

Also, I'm wondering if I'm having another slight flair as my shoulder and (strangely) my hip are now very painful.

Like I've said before, EVERYDAY....it's something else!

How long does it take to be stable??

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Is it just the right eye?

This is an extract from an NHS site so reliable information:

Double vision affecting one eye (monocular)

Double vision affecting one eye is less common. It's usually caused by eye problems such as:

dry eye syndrome – where the eyes don't produce enough tears

astigmatism – a common condition where part of the eye isn't a perfect shape

cataracts – cloudy patches over the front of the eyes

keratoconus – where the clear outer layer of the eye (cornea) gets thinner and changes shape

So it is very likely it could be due to your cataract problem. And such problems have to start at some point - double vision doesn't creep up on you.

Is the increase in pain only on one side? If so, it is less likely to be the PMR - but it is easy to pull muscles or for bursitis to develop.

• Posted

Yes Eileen, it's just my rgt eye. I'm sending my daughter to the pharmacy later today to see if there's some type of patch I can get to cover my eye as my shoulder is aching from holding holding my hand over it!

Good thing Halloween is right around the corner as I'm gonna look like a blonde pirate!!😝

And yes, it is only one shoulder, hip, and (now) knee.

• Posted

Hi lynda62707

Is your shoulder, hip and knee bilateral pain? Meaning are both shoulders painful as well as both hips and knees. PMR is bilateral pain, if you only have pain on one side then i'm wondering if you have PMR 🤔. Having said that we have bursers all over our body including shoulders, hips and you could possibly have the start of bursitis in these areas which is an integral part of PMR....i know it's sooo confusing i would suggest asking your rheumy for a scan in these areas to see if you have swollen bursers.....you have gone through a few phases of pred journey so far, there may be more to come depending how your body deals with pred.....chin up your handling things well lynda...

• Posted

Hi Mary, if I'd read this 3hrs ago, I would have told you pain was mainly on right side. Having just awoke from a 2hr nap, pain is now in my left knee as well....both hands and fingers are stiff and painful!

I wish I had the adorable emoji you have, but I don't...so I'll just say....hmmmm??

• Posted

Lynda,

i do not like the double vision in one eye. I had cataracts and never had double vision. My brother had double vision in one eye- and it was a stroke. He did not have PMR.

i suggest going to the ER or A&E wherever you live. 

We can't blame everything on pred and we cannot diagnose these problems online.

• Posted

Ok...now I'm really scared!

I do have cataracts in both eyes, but in my right eye it's MUCH worse!

Having already been to a Neuro-opthamologist, don't you think I'd been told of the stroke possibilities?

This is soooo Confusing!

I will say, however, that having just taken a 2hr sleeping break, my double vision seems to have eased a bit. I'm wondering if my already existing eye problem was somewhat exasperated by being overly tired and stressed??

I wish I had Mary's emoji.....hmmmm

• Posted

Please go to the emergency room. It could be a stroke you've had and it's cause the double vision. It may be a deficiency that's permanent after a stroke. I had double vision after my stroke so I do know what I'm talking about. Please go as fast as you can to the emergency room. Do not think this is nothing because this is serious!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.