*EXTREME* sudden hair loss

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone

I have an urgent question that I am hoping someone may be able to help guide me in the direction of answers for. I have EXTREME hair loss that has occurred in the last 4 weeks.

-I am 25

-Hormones coincidentally checked two months ago and were fine (well, the primary sex hormones)

-No hair loss elsewhere on body. Just on scalp.

-No crazy stress trigger or diet change Does anyone happen to know what would be the cause here? It is SO sudden. I am puzzled, but worried at the same time.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Brooke,

Have you had alopecia areata in the past?

Is the hair loss diffuse or in patches?

What else was going on when the hair loss started (a recent move, illness, pesticide exposure, mold, etc?)

Did you have other bloodwork for thyroid, ferritin, anemia, etc.?

Have you seen a dermatologist?

• Posted

Hi Brooke,

sorry you are going through this. Go to your GP, they can refer you to a dermatologist. No one can tell you what's happening but them. they can do some detectives work and testing.

Try to keep calm ( easy to say ) it may be that your hair grows back and it's just a blip. If the doctors find it to be something else you cross that bridge when you get to it. take a breath my lovely. l wish you all the best xx

• Posted

Hi Brooke,

I recently went through a similar situation. I was losing hair all over and developed a big bald patch on the back of my head. I went to my doctor, but she was not worried and refused to run any tests. She referred me to a dermatologist, but that seemed to be a waste of time too. He looked at it and told me it would probably work itself out. He did prescribe a cream, but I didn't really want to use it in my hair.

I did start taking a zinc supplement for three months and a probiotic. Check the food sources for zinc to see if you might be deficient.

Good luck!

• Posted

thanks for your help and understanding guys.

I really appreciate it.

I'm going to have a closer look into my diet and see if it may be the cause.

it is honestly so strange, and has absolutely never happened before

thank you.

• Posted

the hair loss is also all around my scalp too 😦

• Posted

Hi Brooke,

Have you had any luck with the hair growth? The same thing happened to my daughter - she is a senior in college.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.